Goosin'!!

qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Goosin'!!

Post by qcconnection »

To say that I'm a novice when it comes to waterfowl hunting is an understatement.

I've been hunting ducks now for about 4 years, a couple of mornings a year and have bagged 3.

I always wanted to try goose hunting but could never get all the pieces into play.

A few weeks ago, I was visiting my uncles farm and noticed a pile of geese in a fresh cut oat field. After getting permission from him to hunt there, I got all my gear in line (the 7 goose decoys I own) and set out for the opener last week. Saw some birds flying over, but none came in.

Last night, went back again, as I was told that the night before, " the field was black with them ". However, still no dice.

This morning, I came back. Saw a couple of larger flocks flying off water about 700 yards away but none came my way. Typical me luck I thought. About an hour later, 2 birds came swinging by. Only one made it past me!!

Bagged my first goose.

I can now say, I'm addicted beyond belief.

No, I didn't shoot him with the bow, but thought if I got the chance at one with my Martin that it'd be neat!
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Goosin'!!

Post by banjo »

Nice work. One in the pot is better than nothing.
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Post by fishingcarpenter »

Good stuff! I'm on my second year of duck hunting, learned a lot last year and am hoping to put a beat down this year. Goose seems like a lot of fun, they never want to come check out my duck decoys though, but its cool watching the odd one try to pull away from the flock when I start blowing a goose call...
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

You never forget your first goose!!!
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Congrats on 1st goose and I am sure more to follow. Get a good goose call and practice, makes a world of difference.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

You're hooked now bud, tell the wife the fall schedule just got filled.
Congrats, and many more!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Looks like the start of an addiction to me. lol Good shootin.
Laframboise
Participant
Participant

Post by Laframboise »

Speaking of novice callers,

what do you guys reccomend for a good solid call.

I have a Zink power clucker (Polly call). seems ok but the range seems less that the dvd that came with it.

What is everyone blowing?
Doeun_k
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Doeun_k »

I like Rich-N-Tone Goozilla as my lower price range call, then for my high price range call i like Zink Call Of Death.

Im a novice caller but i get good clucks out of these. Ive tried others as well.
Mick_C
Participant
Participant

Post by Mick_C »

I would recommend the Canada Hammer 2 as a starter call, they sound great for the price and I think they are on sale at Cabela's for $14.99

Nothing better than watching these big birds on approach and just rolling them over !! Congrats on your first ! Next comes a banded bird (I am still waiting on one !)

Edit: Never under estimate the power of a flapper flag, I wouldn't hit the field without one !
Mississippi Mudslide
Participant
Participant

Post by Mississippi Mudslide »

Now that the winter is upon us, if you like to ice fish as I do, I told my son many years ago to bring along his duck and goose calls to practise while ice fishing,.,.,.
20160913_083205.jpg
20160913_083205.jpg (3.68 MiB) Viewed 10603 times
20131123_094912.jpg
20131123_094912.jpg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 10603 times
It's amazing what a little practise can do....we prefer to hunt fields vs water in preference but do hunt both areas...the acquisition of our decoy spread has taken place over many years, purchasing new, visiting auctions, garage sales and hunting/fishing shows....

Congrats on the 1st goose...depending upon where you hunt the geese, your chances of banded birds are better along the St Lawrence, especially around Morrisburg....you don't need to be perfect in calling geese, no two birds share the same pitch or call type...but it needs to sound realistic to the birds, not like an old car horn...lol

Good luck in future goose hunts and happy practising!
Mississippi Mudslide (M.M.)
Shaun_300
Participant
Participant

Post by Shaun_300 »

Goose hunting is so much fun! I am really lucky, I live on a farm and they fly over all the time, especially in the evenings. Just bought myself a new Remington SP-10 which is a semi automatic 10 gauge. They fly fairly high so I'm hoping to down a few more with this cannon. :lol:

Less than a month to go now! :D