Trail Cam

cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Trail Cam

Post by cgates »

Do you guys get a lot of nothing photos as I call them, you know the one where a leaf moved or what ever it is? And if you don't what's the trick to have less of them
Thanks Chris
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Trail Cam

Post by Markus »

Sun triggers. It's usually caused on breezy days when the sun has some intensity and its popping in and out behind clouds and temps around the cams rise and drop quickly. Pointing your cam north and hanging it a bit higher and pointing it on a sliht downward angle helps. You can also adjust the sensitivity on the cam if it has the option. Some cams are worse for then others.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Experience helps.

If you are mounting on a tree, make sure it's a big one. Even a tree that is 6 inches in diameter moves, and that little bit of movement on the tree results in a "massive" perceived motion for the camera which sees everything shift.

I have also had trouble with fences where there was a tree a hundred feet away rubbing against the fence causing the whole thing to shift.

I have started using 2x2 stakes and they work MUCH better. For example, on a field edge you can hammer them into the ground just out of the tall crap, overhanging branches, etc. and get it pointed exactly as you want. Since they aren't tall they catch no wind so you don't get the sway of a tree.

Typically I am running 6 or more cameras at the highest sensitivity so having a lot of false triggers could cost me hours of review time.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Anything waving in the wind, like branches or even weeds like goldenrod can definitely trigger cams on windy days. That's been the biggest cause for me. I'm sure blue jays leaving the bait have done it too. Also, newer cams have a much faster response times of well under a second but some of the older slower models can react to an animal that is out of the fov by the time the pic is taken. I've certainly had pictures of a deer's arse end or just a tail before. With my two Covert cams I've found that medium pir sensitivity is all I need unless I'm quite far away.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

smitty55 wrote:Anything waving in the wind, like branches or even weeds like goldenrod can definitely trigger cams on windy days. That's been the biggest cause for me. I'm sure blue jays leaving the bait have done it too. Also, newer cams have a much faster response times of well under a second but some of the older slower models can react to an animal that is out of the fov by the time the pic is taken. I've certainly had pictures of a deer's arse end or just a tail before. With my two Covert cams I've found that medium pir sensitivity is all I need unless I'm quite far away.

Cheers
X2
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Thanks for the tips and info. I hunt crown land and never put out a Cam this early but with no doe tags this year or last I'm looking to set up early and find some bucks, and don't want my card half full of nothing