Deer Sign

smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Deer Sign

Post by smitty55 »

scarkner wrote:
CCLad wrote:
scarkner wrote:Finally seeing rubs in 64a.

Frustrating to see no bucks on my tail camera.

Don't sweat it If you have does around, the bucks will show up.
Not seeing Does either :-(

Friend who has hunted the property for over 40 years says it's the worst year he has ever seen for deer number (near Almonte) which is odd since numbers are pretty good elsewhere. I think we are just seeing a spike in Coyote in the area.
Have to agree Steve. I'm 5 miles outside of Almonte and it's as bad as I've ever seen in my 20 years out here. Coyotes aren't near as bad as they were over 5 years ago either, so I don't think they're to blame. The deer never recovered from all those farmer cull tags and the 5 extra tags we could buy back in the hey day when seeing 10 -20 deer in the field beside me was common. My daughter counted 48 one day about 10 years ago, now it's rare to see any at all. I don't know if you're feeding but it might be an idea to put up a tube feeder to try and get some does around in the next week. Can't hurt anyway.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Deer Sign

Post by CCLad »

Scrapes and rubs started appearing heavy around wed of week 1. Catching lots of different bucks on the trail cameras heading in and out of the property - saw nothing but does to date....

Not done yet!.