Deer Sign

CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Deer Sign

Post by CCLad »

Good day folk's, last year I posted the same thread and found it both interesting and useful for the deer season.......

If/when you start noticing rutt signs - scrapes and rubs etc. post them in this thread with the general area or MNR unit you found the sign. It will be interesting to see if the same pattern from last year occurs again. In that I mean it seemed like the deer became active sooner to the south of Ottawa - by the reports any way's......

We are in 64A, near ashton and we have caught of few decent bucks on the trail cam's (mostly in the middle of the night), we have yet to come across and scrapes or Rubs. With the nights starting to dip into hunting temps - Im guessing it wont be long before they kick it into gear... (only 4 weeks to go!!!!)

Good hunting,
CCLadd
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Deer Sign

Post by Out4trout »

Great idea again CCLad
Did some hiking / scouting in both 67 and 71 this weekend. The regular scrapes have not started. one light but fresh rub in 71 was found.
No "new" horned up visitors on the cameras yet, the regulars from summer are still in home range. I expect to catch a few cruisers this week, as they come every year.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Looking at the long range temperature forecast, the engraver temperature at night will be around 2C from now until Nov 7th.
They should get into gear soon!
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Only does on the trail cams in 63. No doe tags there though.
Was able to do a bit of scouting while partridge hunting in 55a, and found 2 new small scrapes where dominant scrapes were last year. Movement might be starting a bit more north.
Will be checking the cams again in 2 Weeks.
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Mainly Doe's on the cameras at home but one Buck keeps appearing every few days, no real signs of scrapes or rubs yet, I'm in 64a South of Ashton.

I have some property in the lanark highlands and I've seen a good amount of deer up that way.

Looking forward to gettin at er on the 7th, I will be up in the Highlands. Good luck fella's
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

64A south of Ashton - Does on the cams and a 6 pts and 4 pts keep making the odd appearence. Still no rubs or scrapes..

Counting down the days :)
CCLad.
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

Things are starting to pick up here in West Quebec!!

I watched a spike make a scrape on a field edge yesterday morning (muzzle loader opener) and elected to let him walk.

Saw 3 small bucks yesterday morning.
Worked a night shift last night, slept for a few hours this morning and was out and about with the smoke pole in hand.

Came across this.

I suspect it's from this guy, as it's right along the travel corridor I think he's using.

Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Nice lookin fella eating those apples. Lots of Doe's on the Cameras but only one pic of a younger buck so far, colder weather I hope to see more.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Keep the reports coming folk's. It's great to see the activity pick up. I have been staying out of our chunk of bush for the last bit. I will be heading in this weekend to check the trail cams and scout.... Cant wait!
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

That a good buck. I hope to check the cams on Sunday... So far, the weather has been almost ideal. I haven't seen the usual deer in fields along local roadways like some years of past, but lets hope they stay in the woods.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Quick scout this evening after my son finished the bow hunt... pulled the chips. WMU67

One small scrape found. The usual scrape spots (same spot every year for 16+ years) are not yet happening.
On cam, only the resident buck is still wandering through, same buck we have watched on cam all summer.

The pre-rut is starting, but later this year than normal.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

64 A - 2 new scrapes, 3 different bucks caught on the trail camera's. One nice 8pts..... Activity has definitely picked up! Still haven't seen a rub, but they will be appearing soon..... :)
CCLad
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Finally seeing rubs in 64a.

Frustrating to see no bucks on my tail camera.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

scarkner wrote:Finally seeing rubs in 64a.

Don't sweat it If you have does around, the bucks will show up.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

CCLad wrote:
scarkner wrote:Finally seeing rubs in 64a.

Don't sweat it If you have does around, the bucks will show up.
Not seeing Does either :-(

Friend who has hunted the property for over 40 years says it's the worst year he has ever seen for deer number (near Almonte) which is odd since numbers are pretty good elsewhere. I think we are just seeing a spike in Coyote in the area.