Who's ready for deer season?!

Shaun_300
Participant
Participant

Who's ready for deer season?!

Post by Shaun_300 »

I know I am, bow season opens 2 months from today, woohoo!! Hoping I get lucky this year like I did last year. :)

jshow89
Participant
Participant

Re: Who's ready for deer season?!

Post by jshow89 »

Actually went and cleaned some brush around my bow stand this past weekend, thinking of skipping gun season this year and pushing more in the late bow season
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I am always ready....
But could always use more preparation. Where I hunt I have had as much success where I stop to eat a sandwich in the woods as where I have cleared, salted and scouted... But I am always ready to spend some time in the woods, and maybe an afternoon at the range first.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

So friggin' excited for this year.

New tree-stand

New Bow

New Turkey Season
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

These guys weren't on Birdee's hit list until they ate her Hostas :lol: :lol:

Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Lots of action on the cams at my hunting property, I struck out for a second year in a row for a doe tag. Luckily the big 10 point from last year is still roaming around.

Even with the nicer weather we've had lately some areas of the property are still wet. When I went up the other day to check the cameras and salt licks I was disappointed to find that someone had taken it upon themselves to drive in and completely rut up my entrance trail. It's always frustrating seeing that, there's a good bit of damage and now there's water holding in the deep ruts.Still looking forward to opener though, my favourite time of the year!

That's a great pic RJ, nice to see two healthy young bucks!
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

No doe tags for us this year either. Hope to get in the woods this weekend and freshen up a couple of mineral piles. Need to find a way to get the bucks out during the day. Last year all but one buck on the trail cams were between 12 and 3 in the morning. Any suggestions?
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

I'm definantly starting to get ramped up for the gun season. Moved some stands, cleared brush and trails... Got to love being in the bush! Haven't seen any bucks on our trail cams yet though..... A fair number of does in the area - which will bring the lads in sooner rather than later :)

Speaking of which, here's a link for a good article pertaining to the rut....
Safe hunting,
CCLad.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2017/05/30/2017- ... last-year/
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

CCLad wrote: Speaking of which, here's a link for a good article pertaining to the rut....
Safe hunting,
CCLad.

http://wiredtohunt.com/2017/05/30/2017- ... last-year/
I don't initially agree with that article at all Tim. First of all the rut is determined by daylight hours, it has nothing to do at all with moon phase. It is always the same time every year, give or take a day or two. Soon as I saw the headline of an early rut and then a comment about the rutting moon (that the second full moon after the autumn equinox is believed to trigger the peak in rutting activity, and so Laroche and Alsheimer’s predictions revolve around this “Rutting Moon”.) I was about to close that page. But to give them credit, they did bring up the traditional view that is based on scientific data, so I don't know why they even bothered with the predictions from those two guys and then basically discredited them later in the article.
Good luck to all this season.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Not sure if you read the entire article along with the links in it but it shows several theories of when the rut will peak. I tend to agree with you - It has to do with hours of day light. The one part about conception date studies is pretty clear in its results.