Finally, a Cormorant season.

smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Finally, a Cormorant season.

Post by smitty55 »

https://ero.ontario.ca/notice/013-4124

Now the trick will be to figure out effective techniques.
Smitty

Straight shooter
gatekeeper
Participant
Participant

Re: Finally, a Cormorant season.

Post by gatekeeper »

FINALLY! I can now add my 20 Gauge shotgun to my Tackle Box!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Found it interesting to see some kick back on this from the scientific community that this policy change was forced in by special interest groups and not science. Apparently there is no data proving the destruction they are thought to cause.

I see damage on islands but have no real idea if they are damaging fish stocks like we all tout they are.

I don't care either way but the guys shooting them better deal with the bird after, I know they won't eat them but I'll bet they are floating everywhere. The "hunt" won't be long lived anyways when guys realize they are just wasting shells with nothing to show for it.

RJ
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

RJ wrote:Found it interesting to see some kick back on this from the scientific community that this policy change was forced in by special interest groups and not science. Apparently there is no data proving the destruction they are thought to cause.

I see damage on islands but have no real idea if they are damaging fish stocks like we all tout they are.

I don't care either way but the guys shooting them better deal with the bird after, I know they won't eat them but I'll bet they are floating everywhere. The "hunt" won't be long lived anyways when guys realize they are just wasting shells with nothing to show for it.

RJ
They are invasive voracious eaters that directly compete with loon populations, let alone the permanent damage they do to vegetation at nesting sites. That's plenty enough for me to want to shoot them.
As for hunters, they will still enjoy shooting them regardless as they already know the regs. I know for me it wouldn't be a waste of shells at all, specially compared to shooting clays. As for disposal of the birds I'd like to think I have faith in hunters to do the right thing, but as you say there well could be some jerks out there that ruin it for everyone else, same as all the fishermen who leave their garbage behind.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Strabass
Participant
Participant

Post by Strabass »

I know they pretty well destroyed the NY Eastern basin of Lake Ontario smallmouth fishing. The compromise was that the scientists would go out to the islands during nesting and put something on the eggs so they wouldn't hatch.

Exerpt from article: "Federal biologists have estimated that cormorants eat 400,000 to 1.2 million smallmouth bass a year in the eastern part of the lake. But the significance of that number depends on the age of the bass, said James Farquhar, a biologist for the State Department of Environmental Conservation.

''If those are newborn bass, that's a drop in the bucket,'' Mr. Farquhar said. ''There are literally billions. But if those 1.2 million fish have already lived through several years, that is a significant number.''

There are many articles on this topic.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/08/01/nyre ... untry.html
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

RJ
The new law specifically deals with how to dispose of carcasses. Also, they don't float, they sink... they have solid bones and no oils on their feathers.
As for wasting shells - I don't follow your logic, not even a bit. When I shoot skeet am I wasting shells? Goose hunting, I will generally fill a limit but only occasionally bring home a goose to eat. I give the geese away to friends who enjoy them more than I do, nothing to show for it. Cormorant hunting is a great way to improve on one's wingshooting, correct lead etc. It's about the sport, not the food.
RJ wrote:Found it interesting to see some kick back on this from the scientific community that this policy change was forced in by special interest groups and not science. Apparently there is no data proving the destruction they are thought to cause.

RJ
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Well time will tell. I'm all for getting rid of them but I'm highly skeptical guys will do it for long. These birds won't decoy I don't think. So it's drive your boat up to a tree and fire? Are there not laws against that? How is that sporting? or exciting?

RJ
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Apparently, people do use cormorant decoys, in places where they have been legal to shoot. A few good Youtube vids of that.
Not planning on tree shooting, but in flight, we don't shoot geese on the ground either. We will be cleaning up a few waterbodies of this vermin.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Hey Len, something like this should keep hunters happy. :)

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Rats with wings, dispose of these useless species....ASAP !!
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

YIPPEE KI YAY MFs!!

HuntnFish
Participant
Participant

Post by HuntnFish »

Just curious if anyone actually got out to hunt these this fall? We shot a couple while duck hunting that passed by, but did not go out to target them specifically. Has anyone else gone and targeted them? Any encounters while hunting other waterfowl?