Transporting a canoe

A Forum for those who prefer the lighter side of boating. Canoes and Kayaks are becoming more and more popular. Let's talk about them!
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Transporting a canoe

Post by avidangler »

So I'm looking into getting a kit that would allow me to strap a canoe to the roof of my car. I don't have a roof rack but the kits now-a-days come with foam or rubber blocks that sit directly on your roof. Anyone have any experience with these? I've checked them out online and have already decided to use my own ratchet straps rather than ropes. After reading many online reviews it seems to me that there's a mixed feeling about how well they work. However in my mind the key to them working or not comes down to how each individual ties it down. Anyway if anyone has used or uses them please let me know what you think.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Transporting a canoe

Post by OntarioRider »

i have used the foam blocks many times. They work as expected.
I usually just used rope to tie them, but have found that the tie downs designed for canoes from MEC (or any canoe/outdoor sports store) work great.
Make sure you tie off the front in a "V" .. the back can be "V" or not.
Ratchet straps can be dangerous as you have a tendency to over tighten and warp your canoe or kayak ... seen it happen to a friend.
The cam buckle style straps work better as they are harder to over tighten.
My experiences anyway.
Mike586
Participant
Participant

Post by Mike586 »

I have the foam blocks for my canoe and to be honest I don't care for them sitting on the roof, so I got a back rack, and a goal post type deal that goes into my hitch receiver. Best option I could think of for my situation. I still use the blocks to pad the back rack, and goal post, mainly to protect the boat's rails.

If I had a car or SUV, I'd be getting a roof rack.

Now if this is something you're rarely going to do, I'd probably just put up with the foam blocks. But if you plan on going out a lot, the blocks will get old fast....I got tired of them after only a couple trips.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

The foam blocks always worked great for me.
Use non stretch rope, the MEC straps or the rachet straps.
Make sure the front straps are pulling the canoe forward and the back straps are pulling the canoe backwards.
After the canoe is tied on, give it a push from either end to make sure you have it right.
David
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

Thank you, I'll give the blocks a shot sense I'm just borrowing the canoe for a few weekends and would rather not install a rack at this point.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

MEC is a good place to get the kits - they'll even show you the best way to tie it down.

I have a roof rack on my CR-V and still use the foam blocks as a cushion for the canoe. The roof rack serves as a tie-down point. I have also used pool noodles as cushions, though they don't work as well - the foam blocks are cheap anyway.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

The foam blocks work... my buddy has some j-hooks, and they're soooo much easier, and seem way more sturdy. For kayaks anyways.

Good luck on your search.

E
Houner
Participant
Participant

Post by Houner »

I know this is an old post, but I suspect there are some folks thinking about this same issue at this time of year. I too use the foam blocks on my minivan and my little civic. Low tech, cheap, and pretty reliable. I've driven all over the province with my canoe and, knock on wood, haven't lost it yet. The key IMHO is to use the ratcheting straps that you get from MEC or other outfitter, and put a couple of knots by the buckles after you tighten them up. You should also put a "turn" in the strap before you tighten them, or they will vibrate and drive you nuts. Put the buckles on the passenger side of the car in case you need to tighten them on the side of the road. If you can move your car when shaking the canoe side to side, then the straps are good. If not, then they are too loose. I always use two straps in the middle, a Y-strap at the front, and a strap in the back. I hook into the metal frame or gromets under my car/van. You can also buy straps that hook under the hood, so you don't need to crawl under your car. Never hook into a plastic bumper, and NEVER let your strap get too close to your exhaust. I melted one of my straps on the way to Algonquin Park once, and stopped at the canoe place by the Mississippi River. Friendly folks there, and I think they specialize in people who have melted straps or forgotten paddles. I know this from experience :wink:
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Foam blocks + ratchet straps will work well if your roof is nice and flat.
If your roof is convex, seriously consider getting a rack unless you want to continuously be pulling over to tighten the straps and adjust the blocks.
Rack + blocks + quality ratchet straps and your canoe may as well be part of the car.
Last edited by Eli on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bis4ben
Participant
Participant

Post by Bis4ben »

Foam blocks work really well. They slide around less than a roof rack. I use straps in the front/ back and rope over the middle. Depending on the length of your car vs. the length of your boat you may require something around the thwart or seat to keep it from moving forwards.