----

A Forum for those who prefer the lighter side of boating. Canoes and Kayaks are becoming more and more popular. Let's talk about them!
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

----

Post by RyanW »

Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Whats in your kayak crate?

Post by rex.stpierre »

I keep a finder between my legs, behind me I have a cooler that fits in kayak with three pvc tubes that act as rod and net holder. My safety equipment is under the yak...in that front compartment that goes in haul. my life jacket is strapped at back of cooler...I have a paddle holder on side that holds it all.
Attachments
G0020053.JPG
G0020053.JPG (5.08 MiB) Viewed 3500 times
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

I have a kayak kart to haul my 900lbs of gear...lol
Attachments
GOPR0019.JPG
GOPR0019.JPG (5.45 MiB) Viewed 3499 times
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

I find that Kayak fishing is very similar to ice fishing as far as gear is concerned.
You take a bunch of gear but you do not want to change lures too often because it is not easy and takes up valuable fishing time.
So make sure your rods are rigged before you leave the house.
I have a milk crate behind me with 3 rod holders and a scotty rod holder in front of me for the rod in use so I usually take 4 rods with me for bass fishing.
Each rod has something different on it, spinnerbait, senko, texas rigged craw, and maybe a tube or crankbait.
Between my legs I have my pliers, knife, jaw spreader (in case a pike hits) and a small Plano box with a few replacement lures to change if one lure gets lost or worn out.
In the milk case is the rest of the stuff; safety equipment, lunch, water, anchor, and a few more lures, but I almost never use them if I am only out for a couple of hours.
For Bass I do not use a net as you are almost already in the fish's face.
On the Rideau and Ottawa where I usually fish I do not use a fish finder as I usually fish shallow and I know the water where I am.
I do have a portable fish finder that I bring if I am exploring elsewhere.
And if you are really smart, you have your milk crate tied in with a cover and you have rod leashes so in case of a mishap so nothing is lost.
And wear your life jacket, do not have it behind you. Buy one that is comfortable in a kayak.
David
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Super wrote:I find that Kayak fishing is very similar to ice fishing as far as gear is concerned.
You take a bunch of gear but you do not want to change lures too often because it is not easy and takes up valuable fishing time.
So make sure your rods are rigged before you leave the house.
I have a milk crate behind me with 3 rod holders and a scotty rod holder in front of me for the rod in use so I usually take 4 rods with me for bass fishing.
Each rod has something different on it, spinnerbait, senko, texas rigged craw, and maybe a tube or crankbait.
Between my legs I have my pliers, knife, jaw spreader (in case a pike hits) and a small Plano box with a few replacement lures to change if one lure gets lost or worn out.
In the milk case is the rest of the stuff; safety equipment, lunch, water, anchor, and a few more lures, but I almost never use them if I am only out for a couple of hours.
For Bass I do not use a net as you are almost already in the fish's face.
On the Rideau and Ottawa where I usually fish I do not use a fish finder as I usually fish shallow and I know the water where I am.
I do have a portable fish finder that I bring if I am exploring elsewhere.
And if you are really smart, you have your milk crate tied in with a cover and you have rod leashes so in case of a mishap so nothing is lost.
And wear your life jacket, do not have it behind you. Buy one that is comfortable in a kayak.
David
This is all good info, target one species so you minimize equipment! The makeshift rod holder behind you is key. I only bring a net if I target musky. Get a pfd so you can wear it all the time and be comfortable. Try to avoid heavy bulky finder when you are in familiar waters. ( A navionics app and your eyes does the job...) Be careful on really sunny days, I wear a synthetic long sleeved shirt and a buff.

My best days on a kayak ever,

I fished all day (4 hours) with a senko in 30 feet of water and caught a douzen nice largies and smallies
I fished a few hours before dark with nothing but a mepps inline spinner and caught 6-8 smaller pike
The first time I took the kayak out after buying it, I brought my rod with a tiny gold spinner and caught two pike and a 20 inch walleye in 15 minutes at 3pm...(I was NEVER able to repeat that again)

Unfortunately, I cant really last for much longer than hours because of the seat...
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

I once carried way to much gear....I've gotten better but could shave a few pounds I'm sure.
in the crate goes tackle, I carry anywhere from 4 rods if I'm rec fishing or up to eight at a derby.
depends where you fish but if I have to be near boats I mount a flag on the back of the crate too.
soft cooler behind the seat and extra clothes in thee dry hatch.
I have plyers and lip grippers beside the seat.
Like Super....I pre rig but inevitably end up making changes along the way.
Attachments
20140914_083435.jpg
20140914_083435.jpg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 3475 times
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

Its funny how we have all grown to love the multiple rod holder behind the seat.... I even bring mine with me when im invited in boat! The soft cooler is an idea, my soft tackle box usually goes there. Gatorage, deli sandwich, worms and lure trays go in cooler.
snapper
Participant
Participant

Post by snapper »

As you can see I use a sit in so no crate just a tackle box behind my seat