Lead-Core Walleye

Various Articles either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
walleyesummit
Participant
Participant

Lead-Core Walleye

Post by walleyesummit »

With the warm weather my thoughts have dwindled on open water so I thought I would post an interview I did with Ontario Out of Doors which eventually became a feature article.

I hope you like it!

1. Why use lead core. Why not use downriggers?
Depth control. Lead core is a great way to accurately present a variety of baits (spoons, harnesses and shallow diving cranks) where they normally may not have been designed to go. Lead Core also doesn’t require as much specialized equipment as Down Riggers, downriggers, cannon balls, and mounting hardware are an additional expenses, and may not out produce lead core and in some situations can actually spook walleye. Downriggers have there benefits too, they work for very deep walleyes (over 40 feet) or when fishing with a group. It's all about maximizing your time on the water and catching more fish.

Landing a Nice one with 'Core

2. What is the benefit of lead core?
Lead core is one of the simplest methods of presenting baits in deep open water applications, it can also be used to provide precise depth control when contour trolling. Lead core line is essentially a dacron wrapped lead sinker that has been colour coded every 30 feet, simply by counting colours as the line enters the water you know where your lures are running, no additional weight is required to get your baits into the targeted depth range, the baits sink or rise with the line.

3. What is the worst thing about leadcore?
I don’t' know if theses are the worst things, but 'core certainly has its drawbacks. First it is highly speed dependent, it is lead after all, the faster you go the higher it rises in the water column the inverse is also true when you slow down. Second, it is very Bulky, so it requires a large capacity reel to hold enough colours for your trolling applications. Third, as the lead sinks it creates a "belly" in the line before the leader, some lures (spoons, harness's and shallow cranks) may run above the belly in the line, while deep diving cranks may run below the belly, changing the precision of the presentation depending on the lure.

4. What special things are needed for leadcore? Line counter? Limp or heavy rod. Long rod/short rod? Large reel?
Large capacity trolling reels are a must with lead core, even if you are segmenting the lead core for specific depths in open-water situations (This is something we really didn't discuss, it entails using a specific number of colours for a targeted depth, longer leaders and more backing. It really limits your flexibility as you are stuck to a targeted depth, but excels in open water situations as it lets the planner boards run better) there is still a pile of line needed demanding a bigger reel. I also prefer a line counter as it allows you to make small precise adjustments when contour trolling, but it's not require by any means and not necessary in open water. My personal favourite is the Diawa SG47LC but the most famous lead core real by far is the Penn 320. Rod length and action are a matter of personal preference, one thing to keep in mind is the limited stretch of lead core and its rope like consistency. I prefer a rod that has a slower action and is longer to provide some forgiveness that the line won't. 8 foot 6 inch Diawa heartland rods have a nice long handle to fit in the rod holder, the right amount of forgiveness but plenty of backbone to bring in fish over ten pounds.

Large Capacity Diawa Reel with counter

5. What type of equipment. Tell me your favourite stuff!
Lead core trolling will require some specific equipment.
First, Good quality Rod holders as lead core is heavy and holding a rod gets very tiring after reeling in a fish caught on 6 and a half colours (over 200ft of line). Scotty Power Lock rod holders do a great job of controlling the rods and provide the flexibility of adjustment to make refinements to your rod spread.
Quality terminal tackle - Ball bearing swivels that can be reeled through the rod guides are the simplest way of connecting the lead core to your leader material and reduce line twist if a smaller fish is hooked. Berkely Cross-loc snaps are great for attaching the baits to the leader and allow for frequent changes in lures if nothing seems to be producing.
A smooth running reliable kicker for precise trolling speed, lead core is highly speed dependent and quick idling or stalling motor can make for long days on the water with no fish and lost lures.
Lead core fishing is often used to present baits to deep suspended walleyes in open water applications such as the great lakes. Anytime you fish "big" water either on the great lakes or the Kawarthas you need a good quality boat with a deep V to get you in and out of situations that often develop, run a Princecraft 198 tournament and have been very happy.
A good Quality Net with an extension handle - Hopefully using lead core means bigger and more fish in the boat and because you are using long leaders, sometimes longer than the rod, a good quality net is essential to ensure that your next trophy is not lost.
Precision Trolling, by Marc Romanack. This is the troller’s bible and provides drive curves for all of the most common baits on the market. It also provides estimated depth for segmented lead core set-ups at varying speeds to take the guess work out of most trolling situations. This is a must if you plan on trolling consistently for walleyes.

6. Size (pound test) of lead core, leader and backing
and why?

The most common size of lead core used when trolling for walleye is 18 lb. The rating actually refers to the strength of the dacron sheath that surrounds the lead. The lead diameter stay the same after 18 lb, the dacron just gets thicker resulting in a bulkier set-up. Therefore 18 allows you to spool more on a smaller sized reel than would be achieved with heavier tests.
Here is the process I use for filling reels. Spooling the right amount of backing, lead core and leader is achieved easier with 2 rods with the same size reels, and is done in the reverse order to what it will be fished. First tie off your leader to the first reel, and wind on the desired leader length, I use approximately 10 feet of 15lb Mono for open water applications and prefer Berkley Sensation for its smaller diameter and abrasion resistance when hooking larger walleye with big teeth. Attach the leader to the lead core using a small ball-bearing swivel that will travel through the line guides and levelwind. For a smaller more compact knot in the lead core remove 2 inches of lead before tying.
Ant swivle connecting the core and Leader
Spool as many as ten colours onto the reel, or the maximum amount that you will be using. To splice the lead core and the backing, first remove 2 inches of lead from the dacron and tie an overhand knot in the end, next insert the backing into the center of the Dacron and tighten the knot. Now spool the backing over the lead until the reel is full. I prefer 15 lb. Berkley Big Game for backing, the higher pound test allows shock resistance in cases of an incidental salmon catch.
Removing the Lead
Now crank the entire line system starting with the tag end of the backing onto your intended rod and you have the exact amount of backing, core and leader to fill your reel, and if you were using a line counter and were paying attention when you connected the lead core to the backing you now know the exact amount of backing the other reel will require.
The second set-up is used when contour trolling and is a completely no stretch set-up that allows for the detection of debris when trolling close to the bottom is shallower situation. This system uses no backing and is a full ten colours of lead core attached directly to the reel followed by a 50 foot leader of Fireline.

There you have it....If need any other info just let me know and remember to keep letting them go!

Shawn Hannah
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I never used lead-core. Does every spool come with a scale ie. so many colors out/so many feetdeep.

Dan aka WB
walleyesummit
Participant
Participant

Post by walleyesummit »

Segmented lead core changes colour every 30 feet. At a speed of 1.8mph you get approx. 5 feet of depth for every colour of lead. The same formula hold true for any lb. test. BUT.... it is only a rule of thumb.

The slower you go the more depth you gain, or the faster you go the more depth you lose. Plus currents, water density and ect. ect......that's while I also use a counter. Catch a fish at 345 back let it out to the same and cath another. Maybe!

S.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

K thanks
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Great article Shawn, just a heads up for the members - I am distributing Mark Romanak's series of books including Precision Trolling for Canada.

Send me a PM or email for details - dealer enquiries welcome.

McQ
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

You gotta just love Fish-Hawk. :D :D Great articles like this one Shawn are so helpful to both experienced and novice anglers. I have used lead core allot for Lake Trout but never for Walleye. That will give me something to think about until May and keep the fishing imagination going. :D I am wondering if lead core might be another walleye approach for trolling the channel in the Rideau (Kars to Kemptville area). Might even pick up a musky 8) 8)

Suddsy
walleyesummit
Participant
Participant

Post by walleyesummit »

Suddsy,
Lead-core is deadly trolled with the current in rivers beause it lets you present smaller baits very slowly while achieving the target depth.

Try a number 5 shad rap or one of the new berkley flicker shads and I bet you will be pleasently surprised. On the Illinois river sometimes the only thing that can get the fish going is a pink #5 shad rap presented with the current.

If you try for using core for musky be sure and go to the heaviest test you can find with heavier backing and leader. It might be a great way to present a buck-tail deep.

S.
Ken & Joanne
Participant
Participant

Post by Ken & Joanne »

Awesome article. I've always wondered how to use lead core but was too embarassed to ask :oops: Thanks!

Ken
dh99
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by dh99 »

great Article

I often fish with leadcore for suspended walleye on the small lake here but I usually handline the leadcore while jerking it back and forth and when we get a hit we grab the rod reel up the fish.

I started using planers with them also.

I notice here that the suspended walleye are only active during the peak times but I am confident the go hug the bottom during the day. DO you have any more tips for contour trolling? Some people have said that while contour trolling the leader should be shorter to be able to control the depth easier. What do you think?

I plan on trying contour trolling with leadcore this season after the suspended bit slow down.

Thanks

DH
walleyesummit
Participant
Participant

Post by walleyesummit »

When you contour troll you need to minimize the "belly" in the line, which usually means a shorter leader. But it really depends on the lure you are running. No matter how short your leader, running spinners will give you less control and more belly as they lift from water pressure.

I typically go with a fireline leader of about 8 feet when contour trolling. The fireline telegraphs the vibration of the lure and give you an indication how it is running. I also like to hand hold at least one rod working it in fits and bursts.

It is important to troll parallel to the contour, then you can adjust your running depth for bottom variations by speeding up and slowing down.

Also I don't recommend running your favourite lures until you get the hang of it as you will lose some to snags.

S.
Suddsy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Suddsy »

walleyesummit wrote:Suddsy,
Lead-core is deadly trolled with the current in rivers beause it lets you present smaller baits very slowly while achieving the target depth.

Try a number 5 shad rap or one of the new berkley flicker shads and I bet you will be pleasently surprised. On the Illinois river sometimes the only thing that can get the fish going is a pink #5 shad rap presented with the current.

If you try for using core for musky be sure and go to the heaviest test you can find with heavier backing and leader. It might be a great way to present a buck-tail deep.

S.
Thanks for the tips Shawn and thanks again for a great and infromative article. 8)
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Shawn,

Excellent read and very well written. I personally have not used lead core as much as I should. I did purchase some a couple years ago when I started to fish on the Bay of Quinte, however never really knew how it all worked and what the best ways of working were. With this read, I believe I understand more and can recall times this year when a lead core presentation would have been most efficient under the circumstances we were in.

Thanks Shawn for the great read and teaching. I'll be sure to rig up a rod with lead core for the next time I hit the big water.

Folks, another great article from a Fish-Hawk Partner. I encourage you to read.

Cheers,
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

That was great. Now I need to buy more stuff. Must have all stuff!
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"