Quinte Adventure Weekend Report....(loads of pics)

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

fatluke wrote:Growing up in the quinte area (now living in Ottawa), I also heard the same from numerous people back home. A lot of quinte locals not happy with Fish-Hawkers now.
What about the huge commercial fishing net right in the middle of Adolphus Reach, How many fish did that kill over the weekend?

-et
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Oh and for the record...our boat went 59/62. We kept 4 fish, 3 - 7 pounders for a fish fry (cause we couldn't catch any smaller) and 1 angler kept a trophy for his wall.

Each person in my boat kept 1. tsk tsk.
steve-hamilton
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by steve-hamilton »

markus, your boat musta shed a tear with all those fish being released...

hardly the meat hunter i know, lol.

:wink:

:D
schteevie
Participant
Participant

Post by schteevie »

Good to hear fish were being released.
- I was concerned because I skimmed through the many posts talking about 30+ fish being caught, and there was no mention of any released...

As for "extremists" blowing stuff out of proportion... I think we all need to be a bit more "extreme" and spread the word about protecting our natural resources.
There is a lot of poaching going on, some of it is intentional by those that don’t care, but other cases may be due to ignorance.
So if I offend some people along the way, I really don't care, because my goals are to educate those that may not know better.
Markus wrote:I have to confess, it does irritate me that this topic has to be blown out of porpotion.

So many people took the time to properly learn how to handle a big walleye and release it. Everyone tried to fish the top 30' of water so they wouldn't cause the fish any presure harm. Everyone was equipt with proper handling nets. Everyone unhooked their catches, got them back in the water quickly and took the time to properly revieve them. I was on the water all weekend and saw no floters.

I was proud of the Fish Hawkers for taking the time to learn this and to put it into practice. But because a handful of fish were kept for a fish fry, none of this gets recognized.

C&R is a great thing, but some extremists are taking it too far.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

I'm not accusing anyone. I'm sure a lot of fish were returned safely. From what I have been reading on this board all summer, Everyone seems to be fairly ethical and fish with conservtaion in mind all the time. I am taking no sides, andhave no comments on this as I was not there to see it myself.

However I will be there next weekend. Finally after missing the fall fish for 3 years due to school. Heading down thusrday evening if anyone will be around quinte that weekend and would like to chat or meet up somewhere, drop myslef or Graembo a line.
Last edited by fatluke on Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Graembo »

[quote="eye-tracker
What about the huge commercial fishing net right in the middle of Adolphus Reach, How many fish did that kill over the weekend?

-et[/quote]

ET: everyone down there (as well as you and I) are WELL aware of the commercial fishery and countless other "harvests" that occur on Quinte. I'm guessing the locals just pictured this FH meet as yet another assault on the waters. I'm sure they'd see the large fish coming in to shore not knowing it was a failed release/bladder pop (although theres no need to fish that deep there this time of year) and let their minds run from there.

Yes, everyone down around there is quite sensitive about the fishery.

G
Last edited by Graembo on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by jazman »

No intention to defend myself, or my captain and cohorts for the weekend as we did nothing wrong, not even close. If the "locals" have a problem with anything and would like to discuss it offline, I would be happy to do so.... jeremy.gordon@cma.ca.

This was a brilliant weekend, run by and attended by those who care about the fishery. We were cautious in our approach and respectful in a very minimal harvest.

Thanks to the very good friends I have made and continue to make through FH.net.
Jimmy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jimmy »

schteevie wrote:great looking fish guys.

I am concerned though - word on the street is that 10 plus pound trophy walleye were being killed and cleaned up there...?
is that true? :cry:
how many of those fish were killed??
I don't think anybody should have to make excuses or answer to these type of questions or people! They are generally uneducated and media influenced! (ie..bear hunt)

Nobody understands the outdoors and the condition of our lakes and rivers like the (honest) anglers that enjoy them!

I was not at Quinte but I will say this... If I enter an event or stay at a place that practices CAR( catch and release) and Merland's does or I am in someones boat who practices CAR then as per their wishes I will do the same.
But...
If a fish is edible... and it is caught legally...the body of water I am in is not under extensive over fishing pressure.... and I am or my boat is within its fish limits I will practice CATCH AND EAT! What I decide to eat or release is my business as long as I stay within the rules! I will not be pressured or coerced or made to feel guilty about my decisions. That happens all to often. The little guy is made to believe its his fault (declining fish stalks..etc..)

I didn't spend almost $40000 on boat motor and tackle to let someone lecture me or tell me that I cannot or should not eat fish that is in the lakes and streams of this great country! :x
Why don't you and others like you spend your energies on making sure that our commercial fisheries and the native fisheries don't abuse our waterways. I just despise making my way out to my favorite spot and along the way I pass rows of nets. ! The millions of pounds of Walleye and other yummy fish quota's is far more fish than what the honest anglers take. :x I and others have every right to our share of the legal harvest.
eye-tracker wrote: What about the huge commercial fishing net right in the middle of Adolphus Reach, How many fish did that kill over the weekend?

-et

:cry:
I wonder how many these guys released? :cry:

Everyone (including myself) wants a place for their kids and their kids and their kids to enjoy! Eating fish.. proper conservation (not taking more than you can eat) and the environment ...should always be at the forefront of the education of our kids!

I personally do not enjoy eating a 10lb walleye as much as a 2 or 3 pounder but all the same... if thats all I have in my livewell then...he ends up guest of honor at my dinner table!
If ya don't share my opinion to bad!! I have already listened to yours to often!

Maybe we will meet at the next fish fry and we can debate it there over some yummy Walleye! :)

Bravo guys at Quinte! Don't let these guys hijack your fun or this thread!
Last edited by Jimmy on Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Graembo wrote:
Yes, everyone down around there is quite sensitive about the fishery.

G
Graembo,
I am glad they are sensitive about the fishery, they should be! They should also promote the World Class Fishery they have. It is worth millions of dollars to the area.

I do not fish deep, I practice catch and release, selective harvest and do not believe in fissing to release fish. I feel the Quinte community has to create a strong education and promotion program to work with the large number of anglers that are fishing the Lake Ontario area during the fall season. In the past 5 years the fall has become more popular then opening weekend. Signs at launches that inform anglers about the fragile fishery and the results of fishing at depths greater then 30ft would be a great start.

I am still confused why the locals would not be impressed, when they are the ones that lobbied the Ontario Government to lift the slot size and also allow one trophy fish over 25 inches. If they wanted to protect their fishery they should have went ahead with the total walleye fishery shutdown as proposed by the MNR. Sometimes I feel they are just trying to keep it for them selves and do not want to see it grow. Most reports always seem to say "NO FISH IN QUINTE'. This is not true, the fishery has changed over the years and I have enough confidence in Quinte that a Professional Walleye Tour event would have record weigh-ins on Quinte and Eastern Lake Ontario.

I fish Quinte almost every weekend through the spring, summer and fall...I grew up on Quinte and still feel I am a local, but I have no problem with anglers supporting the Quinte economy or catching fish.

Lets hope government, industry, businesses, locals and anglers can work together to develop Quinte -- not destroy it for their own greed.

cheers'

-Sheldon Hatch

aka
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Graembo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Quinte

Post by Graembo »

AMEN E.T.

My thoughts exactly...I fizzed a smallmouth once out with some bigshot in an old kingston OV probass event years ago and that definitely does not appeal to me as a suitable live-release technique. Fished shallow ever since.

It's true the whole area is still looking for that perfect balance between fish stocks and local business....and truely I think they'll always be looking for it and never find it. I dont' talk politics so thats it on that.

I'm just glad a bunch of guys from up here got to experience the fishery.

G
Last edited by Graembo on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

I am disgusted that someone brought this up..and has tried to ruin a great thread and a fantastic weekend that was had by everyone there...

The regs are there for a reason...Accusations by others can BLOW!!!

If the regs are followed properly....Then you others can get bent! No one needs to open thier hole and start slammin people.

I wasn't even there..and I can tell you to a person that there are no people that are more concerned with following the regs than those on this board and for anyone to say otherwise is almost criminal.

Unbelievable :(
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

There were no accustaions by anyone. schteevie, myself and graembo said that we "heard" and were looking for clarification on this board. Everyone is taking it wrong, and if you read the posts, you will see no one is being accused. I even said "Everyone seems to be fairly ethical and fish with conservtaion in mind all the time". We were just wondering why we heard what we heard, and from the repsonses here, only a few large fish were kept, due to bad hooks and other reasons. No need for anyone to get angry with anyone else. As the story makes it's way along the rumor trail, it gets jumbled and this is what we end up with.

Off of this topic now, I am interested to know if anyone fished after dark? We have had extremely good results in the past after dark, well into the night.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

I have to echo what everyone else has already added. I find it ludacris that ANYONE would have a problem with a fish fry or a trophy. Knowing FishHawkers, ALL rules were followed.

Lets remember something here. Whether you choose to catch and release or keep your quota, its YOUR choice. I choose to keep my quota (if I hit it) but certainly don't begrudge someone who chooses to C and R.

Most anglers and I say most, do respect our waters and our fisheries and remain within the regs and as long as I'm properly following all regulations and statutes, I'll tell anyone telling me I'm some sort of freaking criminal for keeping a fish, the same thing I'd tell anyone..."Your entitled to your opinion, please keep it to yourself."

My sincerest appologies if I've offended anyone but I'm REALLY getting fed up with being force fed other peoples extremist and radical nonsense.
Last edited by Kpin on Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by jazman »

Guys, please. Lets get this thread back where it should be.... a celebration of a once in a lifetime experience.

The point has been made.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

fatluke wrote:There were no accustaions by anyone. schteevie, myself and graembo said that we "heard" and were looking for clarification on this board. Everyone is taking it wrong, and if you read the posts, you will see no one is being accused. I even said "Everyone seems to be fairly ethical and fish with conservtaion in mind all the time". We were just wondering why we heard what we heard, and from the repsonses here, only a few large fish were kept, due to bad hooks and other reasons. No need for anyone to get angry with anyone else. As the story makes it's way along the rumor trail, it gets jumbled and this is what we end up with.

Off of this topic now, I am interested to know if anyone fished after dark? We have had extremely good results in the past after dark, well into the night.
Luke you may not have BUT someone obviously did!! Who ever said it to you or who ever said it to him, regardless, someone has said something for this to come up...I am quite sure I know who but that really doesn't matter. What matters is that we all know that nothing was done against regs..therefore..why bother with it any longer. The only thing done wrong was a false accusation somewhere along the line.....