Brittania Conservation Area - Walking in the Woods (NF-Pics)

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Brittania Conservation Area - Walking in the Woods (NF-Pics)

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hello All,

With Ottawa basking in sunny skies that hit +23 degrees, I decided to head to a walking trail not 5 minutes from my house, namely the Brittania Conservation Area adjacent to the Ottawa River. (The path I used circles Mud Lake, and is on Cassels Road just above the Filtration Plant, and just north of Richmond and Carling Avenue.) I had heard about this area earlier in the morning from a Bird Watching Report board on the net, and word has it that 4 Great Horned Owls call these woods home, as well as over 200 species of birds. I didn't need anymore convincing....
Within 5 minutes I came across two of the juvenile owls, basking in the sun some 90 feet up a pine tree. My telephoto wasn't quite strong enough, but here's a shot to give you an idea.
They are sitting on an old crows nest, both facing to the left of the photo. One of the adults was on an adjoining tree, but he/she was too well hidden to get a shot off..

A bit further down the trail I find these guys.

Found this little guy sunning himself..

Then his older, and bigger, cousin!

She was sitting about two fit off the trail, just up from the water. While crossing a small bridge ten minutes earlier, I got to witness two big brutes doing the mating dance just feet away from me in the water. Pretty neat sight to see!

Saw a male and female Wood Duck only ten feet away, but my camera view was blocked by branches. I waited for them to come out in the clear, but sadly, they headed the opposite way. Would of been nice to of gotten a shot of those in their brilliant plummage.

Found a playful pair of Cotton Tail by the side of the road. Had to get a shot of these..

If anyone is into bird watching, or would just like to get out for a breath of fresh air, give this spot a try. And for those with kids, they would have a ball here. Squirrels and chipmunks are everywhere, and are tame enough to eat from your hand. The water is also full of huge tadpoles, which was quite interesting to watch...
All in all, a great 4 hours spent in wilderness. (Now, time to get the boat ready for fishing!)

Good Shooting,
Justin
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Fantastic pictures. I agree, that is a great area to spend time in.
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

those are some awesome pick Justin.
Nice work
Norm
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Thanks, guys!
Think I'll head back there this afternoon and see what I can discover this time... :lol:
Good Fishing,
Justin
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by bucketmouth »

Hi Justin, brings back memories. Our company put in the new gravel path thru the conservation area that rings Mud Lake a couple years back. Was a beautiful place to spend autumn days, minus the constant nagging from bird watchers about our noisy skid steers and chainsaws... our work was almost postponed even due to the brief disappearance of two of those owls :shock: It's a very sacred place to some... I lost interest when I found out the lake wasn't home to any fish :lol: :lol: :lol:

bucket
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hey Bucket...
Nice path you laid! It certainly is a great place for a hike, but I hear you on the "overexuberant" bird watchers! :lol:
I did see the odd small catfish swimming around by the bridge...

Man - there was a time on FH that you would get a lot of talk and response to a post. Seems awfully quiet around here now. I thought Wolfe would of got a kick out of these photos.....

Oh well, perhaps when the fishing season finally kicks off.

Good Fishing,
Justin
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

JustinHoffman wrote:Man - there was a time on FH that you would get a lot of talk and response to a post. Seems awfully quiet around here now. I thought Wolfe would of got a kick out of these photos.....
....and that she did!

Beautiful wildlife shots, JH. You know I'm lovin' that. I think the lighting is amazing in that 1st shot of the Canada Goose.

You could say I might be one of those "over exuberant" birders. 8) :wink: This time of year is just awesome for sightings of scores and scores of species. Big push to the nesting grounds is well underway, and in some cases, nests are established (take your owls, for instance, who court in the winter).

Too true about the lack of responses lately, but don't let that stop you from posting more great pic's as the mood strikes you.

Thanks for taking the time and I'm sure you were rewarded with a beautiful and relaxing outdoor experience.

Take care,

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
JustinHoffman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JustinHoffman »

Hey Wolfe,

Certainly wasn't trying to single you out - just knew your love for the wildlife! :D
It's a really nice place, that's for sure. And yeah, I might be one of those birders also! 8)
In other birding news, my folks out in Merrickville have a nesting pair of Merlins in their next door neighbours tree!! It's quite the sight to see these birds swoop around the property, and the noise they make is something else too....Let's just hope they don't feed on our nesting swallows or bluebirds.. :cry:
And don't worry - I'll continue to post. Just a lot different on FH nowadays, especially compared to the other sites I frequent. Posted this same report on another site, and had dozens of responses regarding bird talk and camera gear. Here....could of heard a pin drop.. :roll:
Oh well, with walleye season just around the corner, lets hope the enthusiasm and excitement picks up once more around here..

Here's another shot I took of an Osprey down by my folks. We were lucky enough to witness this one mate with another just minutes after this shot!! Now that is pretty cool..

Good Fishing,
Justin
Lookinforlunkers
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lookinforlunkers »

Justin nice camera work Buddy. This truly is a busy time for our fury and feathered friends. I spent last week in the hard woods Turkey hunting and you would not beleive the stuff I saw sitting there motionless and silent. Man I love the outdoors :D
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

JH,

I'm not embarassed to admit it. Birds get me pretty excited. :wink: :lol:

My favorite birding months are May and June. You can really tally an impressive list, if you take a few extra minutes to watch, listen and carry a handy birding guide. Before the trees are fully leafed out is the best time, so be on the lookout.

Sighting (and "sounding") birds like orioles, indigo buntings, scarlet tanagers, bluebirds, meadowlarks, vireos, bobolinks, countless warblers and scores of other colorful avian delights can really make an ordinary day outside extraordinary.

Latest arrivals here are the warbling vireo, chipping sparrow, housewrens -- and today I saw a bluebird & heard a meadowlark. Robins are nesting like crazy.

Thx again for the post. Hope you'll post some more soon.......(cool osprey pic, by the way).

W.

PS: whenever I'm fishing, especially in a quiet backbay, I'm always watching and listening for fantastic birds. Some of my best birding is done right from the boat!
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Great pics Justin, the owls are very cool. I had one fly over my head once and couldn't hear a sound of the wings, just the rush of air. That sucker must have had a 4 foot wingspan, impressive creatures.
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

pics and report

Post by Jigs »

Nice one Justin;

Great pics. Those owls are difficult to see. Then they move their head, and voila; plain as day.

Not long ago, I was trying to attract a brown throated google near a park in town and sat very quietly in some bushes, intermittantly screaming......."HOOOOOOOOHAAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAA :!: :!: . No birds showed up, but it only took the police 10 minutes. :roll: Go figure.

Like the picture of the snapping turtle. They do get to be some prodigious size.

Keep those pics coming. We likes em.

Regards: Jigs.