Baitcasters Pike/Pickerel Derby on Mississippi Lake

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Baitcasters Pike/Pickerel Derby on Mississippi Lake

Post by Fishhawk »

Baitcasters Annual Pike-Pickerel Derby on Mississippi Lake has become one of our favourite derbies to do. The challenge is to weight two pike and two pickerel (or walleye as non-locals know them as) that weigh more than any other team's catch. That type of Derby makes for some interesting finishes - some people are good at catching pickerel and some are good at catching pike. Not many are good at catching both.

Bobber and I discussed strategy at length all week long. Which rain coat ya gonna wear? You bringing a tuque to wear? Gloves? Winter coat? What if it snows? Ya see, as usual, the weather was gonna be a factor. It always is on Derby Day at Baitcasters.

Boats putting in prior to the blast off.

So with the rain and the wind more than 20 teams blasted off in search of pickerel and pike. I turned the seat on Bobber's boat around, pulled up my hood and hunched up against the rain and the spray from crashing through the wakes of all the bass rockets that were flying down the lake.

We headed for our first spot and saw a couple of boats on it. Though disappointed to see the other boats, we decided to stick around in hope of catching a couple of pickerel right off the bat. We didn't catch anything there. It didn't look like anyone else was catching anything either. We stayed on the spot for nearly three hours, picking apart every square foot with jigs and minnows - just hoping that a school of pickerel would move in and make our day. It was cold and wet and windy and it was getting difficult to stay positive.

Bobber suggested that we should stop fishing for pickerel and go after pike. I was about ready to agree but instead suggested that we fish another spot that was not so far away. I thought the pickerel couldn't be too far away and with the dark, windy, rainy conditions, just maybe the pickerel can be found in shallower water instead of the deeper water that we always try first. We headed to our second spot and started fishing again.

We drifted around our spot and had little luck with the exception of a couple of perch. Then I suggested that we make one more drift but just a little deeper than the last one. I caught a couple of pike. Very small ones but something to get started with. I hooked into a third pike and as I began to reel in I was beginning to feel better - it was definitely gonna be replacing one of the smaller ones in the well. But wait - did I just see a white spot on that fish's tail? Bobber get the net! There was our first pickerel coming in - a nice one around two pounds. Hey - that pickerel was swimming in 10 feet of water! What were we doing fishing in 28 - 32 all morning?

In one pass of our new spot we had three of four fish sitting in our well. We decided to make another pass. Bobber was just commenting on how badly he was sucking at fishing when I hear his tune change and he says "Get the net!".

Bobber with his 1st pickeral of the day.

Bobber got himself a nice 2.7 pound pickerel and all of a sudden we are feeling warm and dry and happy again. The hardest part of the Derby has just been completed for us. We got a couple of decent pickerel and we have the rest of the day to catch pike that are bigger than the one Bobber shows in his picture.

Bobber sad about the size of his pike.

The two smaller fish in here are our pike. :roll:

So now we have four hours to catch our selves two two-pound pike. I am figuring that would be a fairly decent weight to add to our two pickerel, and not very difficult to do. Do you think we could catch two pike weighing two pounds each? Mississippi Lake is blocked with such pike! We fished hard and wound up with two pike that may have weighed 3 pounds all together. As we apprqaoched Baitcasters at the end of the Derby, there was a dis-heartening scene - Tony Morin was holding up a pike that looked to be more than six pounds - I didn't know they grew that large in Mississippi Lake!

With no real expectation of placing in the money on this day, Bobber chose the start of the award presentation to make the run to his van in the Bait Mobile. When our names were called to come to the front and receive the cheque for fifth place, Bobber was nowhere to be seen. Here it is - the first time that Bobber and I as a team have placed in the money and Bobber decides to go for a ride in a golf cart just as the awards are being handed out! DOH! :shock:

The winners - Andre Oulette and his father in law Harold.

After the award ceremony we decided to hang around and chat with the other Derby participants. It was a great time and a lot of fun was had by all. The post derby party after a Baitcasters tournament can always be counted on for a lot of good laughs and this one was no exception. Thanks Crystal and Mike for running a great Derby.

Last edited by Fishhawk on Tue May 23, 2006 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

Sounded like a heck of a day guys, btw the winners
(left) Andre Oulette and his father in law Harold

:D
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Nice work on the 5th place finish FH 'n Bobberino!! :D :) and congrats to the winners!! :D
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Glad to hear you guys boated a few fish and placed in the money :D Loved the report Fish-hawk & Bobber!
Pints
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Pints »

Congratulations on the 5th. Great report and pics.
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

Typical weather for the Baitcasters derby!

Sounds like a good time was had despite the weather.
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

Typical Baitcasters derby weather :wink:
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

Typical Baitcasters derby weather :wink:
Fishquest
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishquest »

Great report, Thanks. It was a tough weekend for fishing with all the crazy weather but at least you had fun.
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Andre Ouellette is the winner on the left of the pic. I think he won this tournament 2 years ago as well.

Peng and myself fished the tourney as well. We decided to really concentrate on the Walleye this year since in all the years past we never weighed in a Walleye. Headed to a shoal in the morning and was jigging for some eyes. Managed to boat a small 14 incher. Fished the island in the main part of the lake with no luck. Went to trolling and managed 3 walleye on worm harnesses in 17-18 FOW. Now we have 2 14 inch Walleye in the well. At noon went for some Pike. Headed up the lake and casted some spinnerbaits in a couple back bays. It took a little longer than we thought but managed 2 2 lb pike. After a lengthy decision with Peng we decided to roll the dice and go for bigger eyes. Nothing happening. Weighed in 5.6 lbs for 2 Walleye and 2 Pike.

I'd like to say it was fun but is it really fun fishing in the rain all day with 20+ km/hr winds...I let you answer that. I will say I had a good time.

Cheers,

Mike
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

That was a fun day, regardless of the weather.

Did you make a lengthy acceptance speech for 5th place on behalf of the missing Bobber? :lol:

No pictures of FH. Hmmm. Did you have a zit this week or something?

Just kidding, guys. Good on you getting out and boating a few of both species.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Yes indeed, my first time in a tournament spotlight.....and I'm off joyriding in a golf cart. :oops:

Oh well, next time. Only real problem though about not being there, is that Fishhawk took off with the cheque. Hey man....where's my 50%? :D
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Bobber wrote:Yes indeed, my first time in a tournament spotlight.....and I'm off joyriding in a golf cart. :oops:

Oh well, next time. Only real problem though about not being there, is that Fishhawk took off with the cheque. Hey man....where's my 50%? :D
I didn't take off! I was in the back room buying beer. :lol:
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Well done boys. Wish I could have been there.

Bill