Great experiences at Lake Clear - no pics

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
goudieb
Participant
Participant

Great experiences at Lake Clear - no pics

Post by goudieb »

Okay, so this isn't just a fishing report, but a general report about staying at the Opeongo Mountain Resort (trailer park) and fishing Lake Clear (near Eganville).

I took my family on a 1 week vacation at Lake Clear, and it turns out it was the best time we have had as a family. My wife drove the tent trailer up, and I brought up the runabout.

Fishing was pretty tough in the runabout, but I quickly found out the solution to my problem... when the locals don't share their fishing spots, take their kids fishing with you. Now I don't encourage pilfering information from an unsuspecting child, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

Anyway, some of the locals were boasting of the magnificent small mouth and walleye fishing in this lake, so I had to try. I went out with the family, but no luck, only Whitefish. My daughter ends up making friends with one of the regulars kids and asks her to come fishing... to make the story short, we ask her where she likes to fish, and she points us to "donut" island. We get the kids setup on worms, and they immediately start stricking it rich in Whitefish. My wife beats me to the punch to get my trusty white Big-O, and her first cast lands her a 3 pound 6 once small mouth. Now her summer fishing has been pretty bad this year, so this really cheered her up, and I'm glad it did. My luck on the other hand was still on the outs. We returned to the same location a day later and lost the Big-O. I think I've had that trusty lure in my tackle box since my teens... a good 20 years now (unless my memory of when I obtained it is faltering). It will be sorely missed, but quickly replaced!

We brought the SM in and eneded up contributing it to a local fish fry that we attended with some of the other seasonal people. What a blast that was. My wife had her first taste of Walleye (the hosting family had cought a 26 inch walleye the previous weekend, making it the largest contribution to the feast). These people know how to host a fish fry... Onion blooms, bass, walleye, shrimp, wine, fries, salad, the list goes on. I found out that most of the walleye were being caught after dark. Damn! My transom light was on the outs! There goes night fishing...

I ended up meeting an Ottawa contractor there (at the fish fry) named John who had the good grace to take me out for the evening after the fish fry. What a great time, and I fell in love with his Lund. 1700 Fisherman with as 150 Mercury Verada on the back, with a 9.9 kicker. I couldn't believe the top end of this boat. 58 MPH!!! My pocket book is going to suffer after that experience... Anyway, this was my first time actively targetting Walleye, and my first time trolling. Success at both. Using a different Big-O (brown with an Orange belly) we trolled in 12 to 14 feet of water after the sun went down. Together we managed 8 walleye in a couple of hours, the bigest being 19 inches (no keepers, the minimum for Lake Clear is 19.7 inches). I woulnd't have kept anyway, I was packing up to return home the next day.

What a wonderful experience and a great time. I met new friends, had a blast fishing. My family in general had a great time.

I will be returning to that park/lake again next year, possibly as a seasonal camper. It was that wonderful.

I hope everyone can have as great an experience as I had!

/Brian
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

Thanks for that Brian. I like the technique for gathering info. :wink:
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
eddie43
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by eddie43 »

sounds like an awsome time... I might head up there and rent a boat for the day to fish around... So now that your an insider....how do I get to this donut island of yours?? also any tips on the catching some walleye??
thanks for any info.
goudieb
Participant
Participant

Post by goudieb »

Insider tips eh? You'll have to take my youngun fishing...

Just kidding. While i don't know the actual name for "donut" island, here's how to find it. Put your boat in at the Opeongo Mountain Resort (www.omresort.ca), or if you are renting one of their boats, you're already there. From the docks/boat ramp, head left towards the cliff face. It's the only island around there, and the first island that you could get to on the lake.

As for Walleye on this lake, the best approach that was shown to me was trolling in 12 to 14 feet of water after sunset. From the docks at the resort head out until you are in line with a white house that looks like a trailer/mobile home on the hills to the right. Troll in a straight line from there towards the beach on the opposite side of the lake (this would be the beach for the Whispering Pines trailer park). This is the break from 5 feet to 30 feet of water, generally stying in the 12-14 feet range. When we went, we got 1 walleye on every trolling pass that we made, and many more hits that we missed (delay in getting to the rod holders).

Best of luck.

/Brian
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Great to Hear

Post by Troller »

Hi Guys,
I have had some good fortune in this lake to in the past. It is nice to hear the lake is still producing. I used to catch walleye at dusk just drifting around th lake. I have not made it up there in a few years. This lake is on my extensive list of lakes to fish, once the my boys get a little older.

Cheers,
Daver :P
RC
Participant
Participant

Post by RC »

Brian,

It was a pleasure having you over for the fish-fry. Hope you and your family will join us next year!

And here is a picture of your story:

Last edited by RC on Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Just wondering.... :?:

If the fish are caught at night up in the 14 foot shallows or flats, has anyone tried trolling for them out in the deep open water adjacent to the flats during the day at 14 to 18 feet down with inline planer boards 100+ ft out to the side?

Seems like I need to make a trip up to this Lake. I would love to figure out the day time bite, if you can get the suspended fish to go durning the day they will be big ones. :wink:
Just wondering, where is the best place to launch for a day of fishing when coming up from Perth?

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

That was a great read. It also sounds like a great time for you & your family. Too funny about the subtle mission to collect insider info. :wink: :lol:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

ET, you can launch at Opeongo Mountain Resort. They charge 4 bucks for launch and parking. :)
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

bowzog wrote:ET, you can launch at Opeongo Mountain Resort. They charge 4 bucks for launch and parking. :)
Thanks Bowzog...

I will have to add this to my must fish lake list. I may try to get out on the lake before the end of this season if guiding allows time.

Fish On...

-Sheldon
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Fishhawk wrote:Thanks for that Brian. I like the technique for gathering info. :wink:
My thoughts exactly FH :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was an intersting report for sure. Ratsotail just informed me that we have a cottage booked at Opeongo Mtn Resort for the middle of Sept. Can't wait to lay beatin' on those non-native eyes....WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my...Smallies, Walleye and Lakers, oh my...said Dorothy on the Wizard of Oz! I'm absolutely giddy thinking about a return to Lake Clear for three full days this time. Hmmm, what we will we fish for first?!

Big honkin' Smallies for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great report and new way of gaining intel goudieb.

ratsotail
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my...Smallies, Walleye and Lakers, oh my...said Dorothy on the Wizard of Oz! I'm absolutely giddy thinking about a return to Lake Clear for three full days this time. Hmmm, what we will we fish for first?!

Big honkin' Smallies for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the great report and new way of gaining intel goudieb.

ratsotail