A little story I want to share

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

A little story I want to share

Post by Mr.J. »

This is my first week of vacation.

The family packed the car and went to my in-laws cottage up by Gracefield. The cottage is on a small lake about 3/4 Km wide by about 3 -4 Km wide. I can usualy troll the entire shore line in about 30 - 45 minutes in my canoe (remember the Red Rocket) using my trolling motor.

I fished it for the first time last year. I take my son out with me (he's 8 now) and we'll get into several snot rockets. It's great bonding time for us and the action is usualy pretty good.

We went out Thursday together and did our trolling run. The action was incredibly slow. In an hour and a half we boated 2 snot rockets. Usually we would have gotten 4 or 5 each. My son being 8 got bored and went back to the cottage and I headed out again. I got into this bass and that was it for the evening.

During the late dinner my brother in law was telling me the noisy people across the lake had sold their cottage and new people were moved in. I had noticed when I trolled by their place they had a 10 or 12 foot tinny.

Next morning I was up early, made my coffee and sat on the porch. There was the new cottagers across the lake out fishing in their tinny. Oh he had a fish on, so I watched. I couldn't tell what he had but he threw it in the bottom of the boat and kept fishing. I could hear the fish flopping around the bottom of the boat. The guy was keeping everything he caught and was throwing it in the bottom of his boat. :twisted:

I didn't like that at all. It's a small lake and I bet you $500 next year he'll be complaining theirs no fish in that lake anymore. Ok that's my rant.

My son and I decided it was time to head out again. I pulled away from the dock and my trolling motor just stopped working. So I paddled back to the dock and my son wanted no part of this any longer. Just as suddenly my motor stopped working it kicked in again. My son still didn't want anything to do with it so I fished alone for the morning.

I got into another nice large mouth and kept going. Agian the action was slower that what I had experienced before but heck it was a really nice day and I was fishing. At both ends of the lake are nice bays with good weed growth so I stuck to these bays the most. I was trolling by a dock and saw the anchor line so tried to say away from hooking the line ( I had before) when my rod doubled over.

Keep in mind I have light tackle. After all the lake is full of snot rockets and I want to enjoy myslef. Ok so I pull the rod out of the holder, give a slight tug and feel "Oh crap I have hooked the dock line". As I am reeling in I am being pulled towards the dock. Pretty normal stuff in a canoe.

I looked down and promptly soiled my pants. It wasn't the dock line I hooked but a monster 40 + inch pike. In the water it looked 45 + inches so I am compensating but I've gotten 40 inch pike before and this was definitly bigger. My lure was 6 inches long and he had it sideways and it was gone so it's head was at least 6 inches wide.

So here I am, in a canoe, all by msyslef, with light tackle, a very small net, and a monster pike that I would never had believed lived in this tiny lake on the end of my line. I tried to set the hook but my rod had no back bone and she eventualy just opened her mouth and let go. My god she was huge.

I was shaking so much I could barely up size my lure (Mr.J. Special Musky casting lure) and I pounded that area for 2 1/2 hours after without seeing her again.

I bet you $1000 no one in those cottages even know she's in that lake, I know for sure if you told me I wouldn't believe you. Now I am like Homer Simpson and she's my general Sherman.

I am now determined to get that fish. I want that fish more than a 50 inch musky.

Thanks for listening.
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Great story! Amazing a pike that big is in such a small pond. I bet if there is 1 there is 2 and so on. Too bad you didn't boat her, next time use heavier tackle, LOL! Joe.
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

Very nice story.......

You'll catch her again! haha.....
Boosterman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Boosterman »

Mr J Thats is a great story and reminds me of one that happened to my friend and I. Same type of thing for us. We find this little lake the size of a pond near our hunting area. We decide to try it one day. We get all set up. Slap the fishfinder on and the screen was full of fish and just a foot under the water. so it seemed like. I threw a jig in the water and right away bam. We continued to land over 12 walleyes over the ten pound range. Never seen anything like that. We released every walleye. We try to repeat the same thing every year but it never happens like that again. They are still there though. The pond also remains untouched.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Here's a pic from the previous day when I still had color in my face and no fear of big fish. Gives you an idea of my setup

Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

cool man what do you think it would be like in that little boat like i know what its like to hook into good size pike in a conoe but defenitly not 40 inches big lol
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

sounds like you found your white whale, ahab :lol: :D
now you know where she is and time on the water will put her in your boat!
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

this is a great story.

i love those.
true fishing story a true one. :wink:

got to love those x lake monster..dont say to that guy acrross the lake about it..he will try live bait and all and probably keep it,, :cry:

40+ pike is way more harder to find then 40+ musky.

the hunt is now on MRJ.go get him or prob her...... :twisted: :wink: .

there some lakes like that on the quesbec hey...i was on one yesterday to.

took me like 20 min to paddle around it..but its 90 feet deap... :shock:

keep those story coming.

joco.and thanks to share.
tallpaul
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by tallpaul »

That *is* a great story!

Good luck to you, Mr. J! I imagine you'll have all your gear ready the next time you're there! :-) Don't forget the camera!

Cheers,
tallpaul
Jasonb
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jasonb »

I did that years back at Black Donald Lake, got a monster pike that i'll never forget right beside the dock a few times but i was younger then and i didn't have big enough hands to land it... i still dont have big enough hands... but after the 3rd time i get her to the dock, she turns her head and spits the spoon right back at me... oh well... to be caught another day!!! great story... u'll remember her forever!!!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I know a guy who sells MrJ's specials, I think it's for oppurtunities just like this. Maybe you should call him and buy a few!!!

Never go unprepared!!!!!!
FishingIsHealing
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by FishingIsHealing »

I caught a 40+ inch pike in the Yukon.......big salmon lake.....tons of pike there....beautiful place.the pike are so wild they will attack anything you put in the water.........they are cannibals too, they ate one of the fish we released .......I would not wanna fall out of the boat into a big bay where 1000's of these fish live in little more than 3-4ft of water......You could literally pick the pike you wanted by sight fishing.....then they would all try to get your lure...

lots of grayling, HUGE LAKE TROUT, i mean huge salmon sized ones.....whitefish, and god knows what else, probably trout in some places....but it was mostly lake trout/pike/grayling...

Best fishing trip i've been on.....very nice place...the scenery alone makes it exciting even if you don't catch a thing! The drive in is quite long though..about 3-4 hours on dirt roads to Quiet lake.......after driving about 1-2 hours from whitehorse down south....

Man i love fishing!

Monster pike fight very well!
Bonesey
Participant
Participant

Post by Bonesey »

sounds like a lake i've been 2 in quebec blue sea area anyways his dad kept telling me that there was a huge pike liveing around the area where his dock was i thought he was just making up storys but....we happened to be fishing in his canoe with some live minnows and my line got caught or atleast i thought it was caught :wink: i look down to the botten of the lake(very clear lake) and i see this monster staring at be from the bottom i screamed next thing i know i'm fightin her for a good 10 min finally boat her and help her up for everyone to see at the cottage musta been at least 40 inch's my buddy has the picture i'll try to get it up here a.s.a.p.

Bonesey
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Bonesey when did this happen??? cause live minnows have been illegal in that part of Quebec for as long as I can remember!!!
Bonesey
Participant
Participant

Post by Bonesey »

like 2 years ago and i had no clue about that i was 17 plus my buddys dad had a minnow trap so i guess its his bad :lol:
Wallyboss wrote:Bonesey when did this happen??? cause live minnows haven't been allowed in Quebec for as long as I can remember