The Arctic Expedition.

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

The Arctic Expedition.

Post by Moosebunk »

Wouldn't expect anyone to read all of this fishing report. Our arctic trip was probably the best I have ever taken though, and so to do it any kind of justice I needed to make it the best piece I feel I could have written online, maybe anywhere. Enjoy.

For Larry Willett.

Mounted over the cabin's fireplace rested two large brook trout, one of seven and the other eight pounds. John had told me they were caught on the same day many years ago, as he pointed out the window to the lake. They were fascinating to look at, painted in their full spawn colors, probably the best looking fish that swims. To John there was no better catch, and this was the reason he lived to fish each summer from that lake cabin in the Dumoine Hills, where these brilliant fish would readily take the fly.

During one summer visit back to that cabin a third fish appeared above the other two over the fireplace, a giant speckle even more brilliantly red and colorful. I asked John about the weight of the large speck to which he answered eleven pounds, except that it wasn't a speckle at all, but instead an arctic char which one of the cabin members had caught while in northern Quebec.

I could never get that char out of my head. I love the specks but something about the char called out to me. "Arctic char," who knows, maybe it came from the same place within that told me to go north a decade ago. A char much like the rugged wilderness where the concrete ends and the big blue and pure air skies begin. A fish so elite, it chooses to swim only where all others would seek a warm bath before a hypothermic death.

Reading about char over the years, Ungava became the pinnacle for me, and so finally last year I made plans with my wife to visit an outfitter in the Nunavik region. Over the winter I prepared by tying flies and searching out everything online I could find about Ungava's char, I even spoke with a local friend here in Moosonee who had worked for the same camp I contacted. Early April came, and after making a number of unanswered attempts over the winter to touch base with our outfitter (Pyramid Mountain Camps) by phone and email, I was forced to give up on them.

Things worked out perfectly though, for our vacation dates matched an availability to fish with Plummer's Lodge at Great Bear Lake and my loving parents had agreed to watch our girls. A consolation prize Plummer's was not, for if there was ever a destination in my mind which could equal or even surpass my dreamy Ungava expectations, it would be having access through Plummer's to the world record holding char river, the Tree. Immediately we booked, on the condition that I would be requiring some extra time at the Tree for char fishing. They promised to accommodate and I vowed nothing but death would keep me from seeing them in August.

Please follow the link to read on here...

http://bunksoutdoorangle.com/an-arctic-expedition/

Thanks,

Bunk.
8)
Last edited by Moosebunk on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Last edited by Moosebunk on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Thats just not right......beauty Bunk....awesome report...now I'll go crawl under a rock :lol:
Muskie4L
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskie4L »

I'm with you Matt, Bunk.... man you got it made... imo

btw Q-Bert rocked :)
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Stunning...You're living the dream man
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

30 bucks for a case of pop!!!!!!!Oh yeah...nice fish :shock:
Trip of a lifetime :shock:
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Thats another oustanding report man. Nice char and nice scenery :) . You shure lived the dream bud :) . Me 1 day I had to make a trip like that.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Quite the storytelling there Moose. Beautiful pictures also. Thanks

Dan
farmerkid
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by farmerkid »

Awesome report dude,
in 1 week you posted 2 dream reports about 2 of the lakes that i've really want to go fish in the futur, and now even more.

Your living the life moose!
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

Just absolutely the BEST REPORTS ever posted on Fish-Hawk.
Thanks for sharing. Talked with Lee from Shimano this past tuesday and he mentioned the trip and slow fishing this year and it being COLD.
Congrats to Bren for having the fishing trip and success of a Lifetime.
My smallies down here look like minnows compared to those GIANTS.
Drew we've got to meet again. Your photography work is phenomenal.
Plowjock Brian
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

BUNK!!!!! I was speechless on the last report you posted here for us....well this one is no exception. Absolutely Stunning Photos and a great read.

I seriously want to thank you for sharing this story with the many folks here who may never get to enjoy such a trip.

I can't believe the colors on those fish. I vote Moosebunk for the next adventure TV series, although I don't know if a camera crew could actually do what you guys do. Living the dream man, living the dream.

Thanks
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

Great report.
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

yep your DEFENITLY liveing the dream in all thouse beautiful places and thouse beautiful fish
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

You have a lot of trips of a lifetime.Congrat's
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Drew, over the years I have read many reports from Plummer - you have taken the experience to a totally new level. Awesome photos!!!

Congrats to both you & Bren to have had the chance and to "you" thanks for sharing,

Bill