what kind of eggs are these?

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
guscales
Participant
Participant

what kind of eggs are these?

Post by guscales »

I was brought up in Chilliwack, B.C. ...I stumbled across this site today and I thought I would post a story of catching my first Steelhead over 50 years ago...I guess that is the kind of stuff to write about here...

Growing up in Chilliwack..........1952

Every fisherman can remember their First Steelhead..... like where were you when Canada beat Russia in 72......We were in Charlie Smith's bike shop.....Charlie told Terry Valjean and I we had to learn how to fish properly.... We had been riding our bikes out to the Vedder River and harassing the Pink Salmon and the Chums.....kids......what are ya gonna do....enough snagging humpies, you guys need some guidance.....meet me here in the morning at 6.......bring a lunch....I will bring you back here and let you off at the end of the day.....Hey.... what a deal...So it came to pass....that Fall and Winter , Charlie took us fishing many times.....I was with him in October and caught my first Coho....One warm sunny day at a place we called the Cooper run, Charlie had come across a fresh dead Sockeye, he cut the roe out of it making ooew and awwing noises how this was really great bait.....and it was, for me...I tied a piece on my hook , cast it upriver , and my bobber dived with a 7 pound buck responding on the end of my line....that was my first Coho...he said I was the kingfisher that day....O ya....I felt like one....it was miracle to take a fish on that bright morning in the super low water.....He would pile three and four of us in the back of his little Thames truck...usually Bob Carruthers was in the front seat with him. December came...there was a few Steelhead showing up at the B. C. Electric Bridge....at six in the morning December seventh we head to that area......there were lots of fishermen out, every run was covered....we were working our way towards the bridge and split up.......I was with Bob Carruthers and Terry Valjean and Jim Willis were with Charlie, walking down below us.......I was directly under the bridge on the south side....Fishers had just walked out of the first spot at the bridge....a good looking hole right behind the structure. It was a short cast to the bridge abutment, the river flowed past it forming pocket and ripple , the water was fairly deep......I happened to glance down and there on the gravel were three large bright red colored salmon eggs...I had never seen that bright a color before.....someone had dropped them from a jar of fancy single eggs............there must be some Americans fishing...I could remember reading about bright yarn and stuff in Field and Stream magazine .... that's the only place something like that would come from.......they looked good to me....I impaled two of them on my bait hook, lengthened my depth .....and flipped it out behind the abutment.....the riffle grabbed my bobber, drifted it about 4 feet then slowly it buried in the water......my gawd , wake up........hit it stupid.....reaction finally took over...I hit it ....something alive had my bait...oh gawd bless America, it gave a couple of headshakes (man, I can still feel that 50 years later) then up to the top.....there was bright silver in that boil......o man......I yelled at Charlie.....he turned , looked back and waved....o man......I want this fish so bad....why does he pull like that....don't come off, please don't come off.....this piddly little line is all I have connected to you.....I wish it was a rope...a cable ...a gillnet....easy.....don't panic......buck fever...don't do something stupid Gary...please don't come off........All the time I was getting encouragement from Bob Carruthers...I don't think I heard him....but I was glad he was there when I got the Steely's head on the bar and he expertly put his foot under the fish and flipped it well up on to the beach.........I pounced on it....that bugger was mine......I was in the club.....what a day.....I tried to calm down.... woah...a beautiful 10 pound buck Steelhead. I spent a lot of the rest of the day going back and forth where the fish lay just yappin and lookin. I think I was driving Bob nuts....Charlie also took a fish that day and that was his first of the season.....Us old pros felt good......We are back at the store about three o'clock....It is a nice December day and I have to walk home , my bike had a flat.......I did not mind.......I was proud as punch dragging that critter 3/4 mile home to Yale and Broadway....horns honked.....Roy Gleig came out of his home to congratulate me and reminisce about his first Steelhead.Dad always made a point of thanking Charlie for taking me fishing and teaching us to fish the Vedder River properly.....and over the years I thanked him many times and we often talked about that day......

Last edited by guscales on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Yup you do always remember your first :wink: ..Nice story and welcome 8)
1lastcast
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by 1lastcast »

Wow what a story. I almost felt like Id been there that day :D

Welcome to FH :)
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Great report!!

Welcome to Fish-Hawk

DropShot'r
JRSuprstar
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JRSuprstar »

Super report, and glad to see you got the photo up and working...Welcome to Fish-Hawk

JR
coolspiderdude
Participant
Participant

Post by coolspiderdude »

Welcome aboard, I lived in Port Moody for 6 years and fished the Vedder many, many times, it was along with the Squamish my favourite river in that area. My first steelhead was from the Morice around Houston in 1998 but I still remember it like it was yesterday. Welcome to Bass land!
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

:shock: @ the trout!!!!