From Northern Quebec all the way to North Western Ontario!!

Got a story? Tell us all about it. Your stories will be referenced from our main menu Community Stories section of Fish-Hawk.Net. Please include both text and pictures. Some of you love to write a great story and they deserve some attention...
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

From Northern Quebec all the way to North Western Ontario!!

Post by katch moore »

Hey all, just last week i found myself in the middle of B.F. nowhere. I had taken couple days to drive up to Chicoutimi to do some stream brookie fishing.

It was 7 hour drive just to get to Chicoutimi then straight to the campsite.

The ministry has almost finished installing a moose fence along the way up the highway from Quebec City. it's a massive fence that runs on both sides of the highway. it'll stop moose from getting onto the road, but not bear!

quickly saw this little critter on the opposite side of the road. he was just sitting down in a patch of flowers of somesort.

I got to my little spot in the bush at about 930 that night. and went straight to bed. it was a very long drive. I woke up the next morning with brook trout in my eyes.

i managed a crap load of brookies. i didn't keep any for a snack as i was just there to fish. and relax. and that's what i did.

i drove back to ottawa to unpack my car, do a quick load of laundry, stock up on some sleep and then straight to the airport.

My brother and his girlfriend just moved out to Thunderbay couple days ago. The drove down, rented a 12x6 u-haul trailer and off they went. they stopped for the night at Pancake bay Provincial Park. Then drove straight to the airport here in Thunderbay to pick me up.

After all the unpacking we stopped in a D&R, wow that's a sweet tackle shop. they have everything!! so i picked up some jig heads, some berkley gulp minnows and couple other little things, and straight to Dog Lake.

we drove yesterday evening all the way up to Dog.

we got there and crap our pants! man what a huge lake. so we start to fish Dog and work our way back to the City stopping along the way hitting lakes here and there.

we did manage to catch a couple pike from shore. and 1 nice 3 pound smallie. The smallies in thunderbay fight much stronger then the smallies out in Ottawa.

I had my first encounter with a gator out here. not a 6 pound pike, but a beast.

first cast in the lake, bang, boil, and run! this one fish hit my single colorado blade booyah like a freight train. i have 50 pound braid on, and my drag was damn tight. but he managed to run with it like it was nothing. i saw him once, and he broke off right in front of me.

This just a guesstimate as the size. i did not land the fish. but if i did, it would've been my new pb Pike. it looked like it was a massive musky. but there's non of those in this one little lake out in the bush.

anyways that massive pike broke me off, c'est la vie, right???

well i have couple days left in ThunderBay, back on Saturday then off to Bay Comeau in northern Quebec, i got a job logging 4 hours south of Labrador! man lots of travelling for me.

oh yeah i think it's supposed to snow tonight! just kidding, but it is damn cold here.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

That is some unbelievably beautiful countryside! Killer gorgeous!

That pike you missed....aaaarrrrgh! Would have loved to see a pic of that fish. Bet it was immense. They have a way (pike) of scaring the pants off you when they smash boatside. I don't know if that's exactly what happened, but sometimes just a follow by a big one that comes up from under or near the boat to swipe a bait can stop my heart. What do you think it measured, just on a guess?

W.
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

Wolfe,

well we don't have a boat here(in thunderbay), nor did we rent a boat. just a 20 minute drive and the road becomes a dirt road.

so we drove and fished right off the road. the pike that broke off was huge though! we all know that water magnefies the size of things under water. but i'd say close to 3/4's of the length of my rod. i got a 6'6". around 40 '' maybe more maybe less. huge for me!

as for Chicoutimi, it's couple hours north of Quebec City. it's really a wonderfull spot. to get there you must drive through roughly 200 km's of bush. massive park on one side of the high way then crazy bush on the other side.

Once you get into Chicoutimi (now called Saguenay) get to the Fjord, the Saguenay Fjord. very beautiful. also this river is home to numerous species of fish. Sea run Brook trout, atlantic salmon, even walleye, but they also catch a bunch of cool species aswell, like groenland shark during winter.

it's really a great ecosystem in the chicoutimi area. Woodland Carriboo, lynx, wolf, moose all call Chicoutimi home. i've been wild blueberry picking out there and had a massive black bear come within 100 feet of my girlfriend and i. luckily i saw it in the corner of my eye. but it's just beautifull.

All the lakes, rivers, creeks, streams, little trickles hold brook trout. and most of the streams that empty into the Saguenay River are Sea Run Spawning streams. Just amazing.

Yeah a beautifull area! Ev erybody should go out there once and their life. it's very cheap and can be done in a couple days.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Beauty pictures !!!

But I think you are pulling my leg about the blueberries?? There is no such thing around Lac St.Jean

My Grandpa and Grandma were from there until they moved and settled in Northern Ontario in the early 1900's. And yes you probably guessed, he is a Tremblay!!!!!

Sure looks like you had a good time.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

he's a Tremblay, and she was probably a Blackburn. haha too funny.

wanna see blueberries? my ex and i picked over 40 gallons in one afternoon. and these wild blueberries were the size of grapes!!

here's more from chicoutimi

and here's a quickie of what i'm catching in those streams in Chicoutimi!

Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

great report SIR!

that brook trout would sure look good in my frying pan right about now!

im starving......................................................... :shock:
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

and it did taste great! much better then those stock trout out in calabogie.

i'm currently in the process of gettting up to Baie Comeau, starting a job just north of there.....big brookies?? maybe not as big as bass-addicts, but i'll try!

i'm still in thunder bay until tomorrow. i'm hoping to get into some walleye in the morning!!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Job in Baie Comeau in your trade???? Congrats.

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

yeah it's far, but it's in my trade. i'll be responsible for what loggers will be cutting, i'll be deciding on what needs to be cut, what needs to be protected.

i can't wait!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Smack in the middle of God's country or just beside it. What company will you be working for??? A major one or a contractor for a major company???

katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

i'll be working for the Major Company there.

Boisaco Inc., they are located out of Sacré Coeur, but their logging camp is 3-4 hours south of Labrador City.....so yeah middle of Gods country.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Lot's of black spruce over there???? My favorite tree , reminds me of home. I have one tattooed on my shoulder.

katch moore
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by katch moore »

yes sir!! just black spruce, nothing huge, but still 45 foot tall spruce is a big spruce.

ok gotta get to bed, early fishing tomorrow morning, fallowed by a flight back to ottawa at 1pm.
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

Lots of driving, great scenery, good fishing, and a good story to boot, KM! The pic of the wild blueberries the size of grapes had me drooling, wow! Thanks for sharing!

Tight Lines,

ratsotail
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

If you weren't keeping any, why jam your thumb into their gills?

That's a beautiful part of Canada. With the berries in full season, it's a wonder you didn't see a few bears in your travels.