Wild Game: Preperation and Cuts?

Great recipes to prepare your wild game. Enjoy!
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Wild Game: Preperation and Cuts?

Post by MLR »

fatluke wrote:
Out4trout wrote:Both. Perhaps even grind/stuff/smoke supplies :lol:
I really hope your not kidding me.........

I have been ordering all my stuff online as no one carries certain supplies I need.... or at least I haven't found anyone........ so I buy in bulk........i.e. 3000 feet of pepperette casings............ gentlemen.......start your grinders........
Luke, do you do custom work? I am hoping to have some bear meat soon and venison in november ?
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

MLR wrote: Luke, do you do custom work? I am hoping to have some bear meat soon and venison in november ?
I have only had bear burgers... not the greatest tasting meat I have ever had.

How do you cook it? What cuts? Are there cuts you don't touch... what are the best cuts?

Craig
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

A friend of mine brines, then slices it. Says it's quite good. I hunted bear in a group last year, my first time, but we were not successful filling a tag.

What the heck does this have to do with Sail Baron? This thread is waaay off topic now...
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Hijack moved to it's own thread!

Tell me about how you guys all prepare you fav game...

Bear specifically interests me.

@ Out4trout
What does this brining process entail?

Craig
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

The only way to make bear edible (I've found) is to make peprettes out of it....
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

MLR wrote:
fatluke wrote:
Out4trout wrote:Both. Perhaps even grind/stuff/smoke supplies :lol:
I really hope your not kidding me.........

I have been ordering all my stuff online as no one carries certain supplies I need.... or at least I haven't found anyone........ so I buy in bulk........i.e. 3000 feet of pepperette casings............ gentlemen.......start your grinders........
Luke, do you do custom work? I am hoping to have some bear meat soon and venison in november ?
Sort of MLR. I do it for people I hunt with. There are too many regulations for me to jump into this right now and charge money for. The cost for me to make is around 3:00/lb, and when you add in the man hours it takes me with personal equiptment (5lb stuffer, home made grinder, bradley smoker), it is just not worth it for me, or for my "customers".. If I had a 25lb or larger stuffer, and a smoker that could handle more than 15lbs at a time, it would be worth it.

I have yet to do bear meat, but my buddy has a pile from last year that I will be experimenting with.

Stay tuned, I will do a large report of the grinding, stuffing, and smoking I have completed recently.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

cprince wrote:Bear specifically interests me.
@ Out4trout
What does this brining process entail?
Craig
2nd hand info, he told me that he brines it in salt water for several weeks, then smokes it. After smoking, he shaves / freezes it for sandwich meat.
Apparently the brining process adds moisture. He told me if it isn't sliced, it can be a bit salty. If we get one this year I'll know the details. :D
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

MontrealSeaMonster wrote:The only way to make bear edible (I've found) is to make peprettes out of it....
Well then, you are wasting great meat.

The only way I would make pepperettes out of any big game harvested, especially bear, would maybe if I did not take care of it quick enough once shot and cleaned-out.

I'm not saying that your pepperettes are no good, just the way I would do it.

As for recipes, I'd have to look them up, but usually cook them in the slow-cooker, after the meat's been marinated.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Bear meat is delicious. All of it.

If you have poor-tasting bear meat, 90% for sure it was the hunter's fault for failing to gut the animal quickly and cool the carcass quickly. If the bear was a garbage dump bear, there is nothing the hunter can do to make that meat into prime meals. :(

OK those are my strongly held opinions. Or if you wish, free advice worth what you paid for it. :wink:

Bear loin is FABULOUS, try it BBQ, fondued, stir-fried, anything.

Bear roast is delectable, do it with a bit of broth (for example Campbell's Beef Broth in the one-litre "tetra-pack" container)

Bear jerky is magnificent, use a standard beef jerky cure.

Ground bear is absolutely delicious, in any recipe where you would use ground beef.

But if you shoot a bear and don't want the meat, please let me know ASAP!!! :D

Doug
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

fatluke wrote:
MLR wrote:
fatluke wrote: I really hope your not kidding me.........

Sort of MLR. I do it for people I hunt with. There are too many regulations for me to jump into this right now and charge money for. The cost for me to make is around 3:00/lb, and when you add in the man hours it takes me with personal equiptment (5lb stuffer, home made grinder, bradley smoker), it is just not worth it for me, or for my "customers".. If I had a 25lb or larger stuffer, and a smoker that could handle more than 15lbs at a time, it would be worth it.

I have yet to do bear meat, but my buddy has a pile from last year that I will be experimenting with.

Stay tuned, I will do a large report of the grinding, stuffing, and smoking I have completed recently.
Can't wait man!
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

If I want to know about smoking fish will this post get hijacked to the fishing section?

Just sayin'.........
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

DropShot'r wrote:If I want to know about smoking fish will this post get hijacked to the fishing section?

Just sayin'.........
What would you like to know? :wink:

Doug
ralphie
Participant
Participant

recipes-for Smokers

Post by ralphie »

I need smoking recipes as well-searched the net- did OK with whitefish and trout- but had better. That batch was my first try with a new smoker
Maybe someone should suggest a wild game recipe section
I will be searching for the goose jerky- I think Doug posted one last year
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: recipes-for Smokers

Post by Doug »

ralphie wrote:I need smoking recipes as well-searched the net- did OK with whitefish and trout- but had better. That batch was my first try with a new smoker
Maybe someone should suggest a wild game recipe section
I will be searching for the goose jerky- I think Doug posted one last year
Maybe the mods would give us a sticky here for wild game recipes?

Yes I have a good jerky recipe that I created, plus a whole bunch of others that I would be happy to post.

Doug
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

mmmmmm.....bear. There is nothing better than a young field and berry fed black bear fillet mignon topped with fried onions. I'd be in a treestand now if I was still up north.

Yannick