Crappie

Shoreline
Participant
Participant

Crappie

Post by Shoreline »

Been out twice now within 2 weeks apart and only just now seeing panfish in the shallows as of yesterday. Haven't seen any crappies as of yet. Anyone catching around the Rideau yet or is it too early or too late?
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Crappie

Post by Fisherman89 »

I'd think it's early still. I'm planning to get out on Sunday, I'll post my results.
John Zach
Participant
Participant

Post by John Zach »

I was out at an old Crappie haunt a couple weeks ago. We knew we wouldn't really be finding anything as we were only fishing from shore; we mostly were out to escape the city and enjoy the beautiful Lanark weather. No crappie action of course, a single 8-9 inch bluegill from shore but nothing else. We were bombing around with our Garmin Striker sonar ball, and weren't seeing a lot show up. Water temp then was definitely still in the 40s. However, with this warm weather I wouldn't be surprised if the Crappie start spawning much earlier this year...

On that topic, I've seen some weird stuff happening. Since ice-out was pretty early this year, I went shore-fishing a spot on the Ottawa where I used to fish spring walleyes. I used to fish them out of season as a kid since I thought catch-and release was allowed and noticed that most years walleye started staging to spawn early in april, or at least that's when they'd start biting. I was hoping that because of the warm temps the water would hit 40F before the season closed on March 31, and sure enough it did. When i got out there, however, a fellow fisherman told me he'd already been fishing there for over a week and all of the females were already spawned out. This baffled me since normally by this time -- even at this water temperature -- there would still be several females with eggs. I caught a couple and found that the guy had been right.

My point is, I think spawns are going to be a lot earlier this year, and I thought I’d share that weird story and see if anyone can comment on it or share their thoughts.

As for Crappie, you’ll want to wait until temps are closer to 60-65F to fish them spawning shallow.

Tight lines

John Zach
Shoreline
Participant
Participant

Post by Shoreline »

Fisherman89 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:21 pm I'd think it's early still. I'm planning to get out on Sunday, I'll post my results.
Look forward to
Derekd78
Participant
Participant

Post by Derekd78 »

I've been fishing the locks and accessible points on the rideau system since Easter. I've caught a few here nd there but nothing real consistent yet. Water is still cold and the Lake trout are feeding in these areas as well.
Attachments
20240407_125605.jpg
20240407_125605.jpg (3.86 MiB) Viewed 249 times
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

weather was doing great for a bit. then we lost it lol.
we need more heat to bring them in the shallows. should be soon
Fisherman89
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fisherman89 »

Shoreline wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:23 pm
Fisherman89 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:21 pm I'd think it's early still. I'm planning to get out on Sunday, I'll post my results.
Look forward to
I didn't end up having much time today. I got out to one of the locks along the Rideau, there was already a group fishing right at the lock and they were catching crappies. I didn't want to encroach on their spot, so I fished further up for about half an hour, but no bites.

The weather is looking nice for this week, maybe I'll have more time to get out next weekend. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Shoreline
Participant
Participant

Post by Shoreline »

Nice, tried locks to but was all sunfish in buckets. Might check tomorrow afternoon. 2 days of sun in forcast 🌞
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Derekd78 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:44 pm I've been fishing the locks and accessible points on the rideau system since Easter. I've caught a few here nd there but nothing real consistent yet. Water is still cold and the Lake trout are feeding in these areas as well.
Depending on which parts of the rideau system, some of those lake trout might be splake.
Jim Wilson
Fish-Hawk.Net Administrator
Smiths Falls DCI REDHAWKS Fishing Team Coach
A big thanks to all the companies that support my fishing adventures.
https://linktr.ee/jim.wilson.fishing
https://www.facebook.com/jim.wilson.fishing
Shoreline
Participant
Participant

Post by Shoreline »

Out this eve but no luck.The locks where they were just starting to come in to is nothing but stirred up mud from them building barges. Lucky if can see 8 inches into water. One messed up location.
RangerZ20
Participant
Participant

Post by RangerZ20 »

Morning guys ,brand new to this forum as well as brand new to Pembroke area. Avid bass fisherman but would like to know if there are Crappie in and around the Pembroke area.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Not sure about the Ottawa up that far but there are certainly Crappies down towards Ottawa.
Smitty

Straight shooter