Off-season gear-up: looking for advice on baitcasters

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
bcjohnso99
Participant
Participant

Off-season gear-up: looking for advice on baitcasters

Post by bcjohnso99 »

My Christmas bonus came in the form of a pre-paid Visa ($450) so it's time to buy some gear!

I've never had a quality baitcaster reel so I'd like to pick up two with a target list price between $200 and $300 each (and then try to find them on sale). Both would be right hand, and I'm not partial to brand or colour.

One is for drop-shotting + some casting, light line and low capacity (lighter is better).

The other would be heavier, for Bass in the weeds or Pike, running 50lb braid. Capacity isn't a huge concern but sometimes we do troll for pike so not really small. The main thing I'm looking for here is a good drag, one that stays smooth under heavy tension.

I already have a twitching reel that works great with soft baits, so no need to cover that with the new reels.

Any recommendations?

Brian
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Off-season gear-up: looking for advice on baitcasters

Post by River Monster »

Personally i would go with spinning for drop shot and lighter lures, you could cast them a lot further

As for baitcasting gear, I'm a big fan of Daiwa, especially with their new SV spools, they really limit the backlashes, SV103 is a solid reel, same with the zillion SV and I've heard great thing about the new Tatula. All are built solid. head to youtube and check out Daiwa project T

Head to Paddletales in winchester, well worth the drive, there is a reason people speak highly of the place and make the drive down. Easily the best selection around and Ed has years of experience and can give you a hand and answer any questions
- Rick Ozga
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I’ll have to second Rick here with a spinning reel is easier to dropshot with but that’s personal preference.

I’d look at getting a Curado 70 and a Curado K based on what you’re looking for. Both have great reviews and are built to last. Plus, Shimano offers a good cleaning service where they will replace the gear and pinion and clean the reel whenever you send it in for like $25.00 if you don’t like opening up your own reels.

If you are willing to entertain the spinning reel, I’d suggest a Stradic CI4+. It’s a solid reel that will last you a long time.

Now, Ed has a lot of deals on right now on Abu as well as the SV 103 Rick mentioned.

Please note that Paddletales is closed this weekend and will open again on Tuesday. Give Ed a call when they open and he can tell you what he’s got there in your price range.
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

For what most people consider "traditional" dropshotting yes, go with a spinning reel. My finesse D/S set up is a Dobyns Extreme HP 742 and Stadic Ci4+ spooled with 10lb Sufix 832 and Sufix fluorocarbon leaders in 5lb or 7lb. My other dropshotting techniqies use baitcasters and heavier gear.

As for bait casters I like Abu Garcia.

Go to Paddletales in Winchester, talk to Ed.

Good luck,
Drop
Dobyns Army member
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Thanks for the references guys. We are back from our buying trip in the Sates and ready to rock. Personally, I use a baitcaster to drop shot, simply because it feels more comfortable in my hand, but that is just a personal preference. I have a great selection of reels and I am sure we can find the right one for you. As previously mentioned too, we have a bunch of Daiwa and Abu on sale.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
bcjohnso99
Participant
Participant

Post by bcjohnso99 »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think I've narrowed the meatier reel down to:

1) Diawa Tatula SV
2) Shimano Curado K (or 200i?)
3) Abu Garcia Revo SX

I'm going to try to get down to Paddletales on Friday morning and narrow that down to one. Or maybe Ed will have a better alternative ;)

Brian
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

The 200i was a fine reel and if you can find one, will probably be on sale since the Curado K replaced it. From what I have read, the K has been well received in the fishing community and has been said to be the netter reel of the two. This is of course just from review material I have read. I have a 200i and it is an excellent reel for what it cost.
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

I never tried the k or I series ..Ive used just about every other Curado that was made ..I own 10 or 12 Curado's from 50s to musky 300s never had a complaint never had one let me down ..The bad part is at such a good midrange reel it almost dosent make sense to look at the upper models ..just my 2 cents worth
bcjohnso99
Participant
Participant

Post by bcjohnso99 »

Thanks for all of the feedback.

Went to Paddletales on Friday. Picked up a Tatula SV (anti-backlash management is pretty awesome). Almost bought a Zillion. Despite the warm temps and open water, we did not catch anything in the parking lot ;)

Thanks for the time you spent with me Ed!

Brian
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Your welcome. It's what we do. I'm glad that you are pleased with the reel.

The bite's been really off in the parking lot. :shock: Must be the change in weather.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

toobinator wrote:
The bite's been really off in the parking lot. :shock: Must be the change in weather.

Ed

Well Ed you have to throw some of them back in the summer, so that recruitment can happen! Don't you read Just fishing? They (Gord Pyzer, Dr. Bruce Tafts etc.) keep talking about selective harvest and recruitment.