I made my pitchin stick decision...

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

I made my pitchin stick decision...

Post by lape0019 »

Well after months of waiting, I finally made my decision...

I waited for the Megabass x4 destruction to come in and what a gorgeous rod that thing is. It just didn't balance the way I was hoping it would. Also, i had heard how narrow the handle was but what i saw was even thinner than expected. if you havent seen these, take a trip to paddletales and check them out. The megabass XX perfect pitch rod however blew my mind. I didn't end up with it but because it balanced so well, it made the decision that much more difficult. it took me an extra half hour with two rods in my hands.

The core 100mgfv has been set up as a smoking combo that looks great and should perform as good as it looks.
The winner after all of my research was the Dobyns Champion Extreme 745C full handle. I don't think I could have found a better balanced or looking combo if I tried (other than maybe going custom).

The xx and 745 were so close in balance that it literally came down to warranty, personal preference for colors, and knowing the product. This is my fourth Dobyns and as much as I wanted to try a Megabass rod, I just couldn't leave the Dobyns family.

Thanks to everyone who gave me input or advice. It gave me lots of options and helped me make the right decision. In my opinion anyway.

Adam
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: I made my pitchin stick decision...

Post by CNs »

So what I am hearing is that you cajoled :roll: Ed into bringing these megasbass rods then chose a Dobyns :o ?
Good job. Give Ed six months without moving any rods and they will be on the discount rack!
ks,
Speaking of pitching sticks, built a pitching stick on a St Croix Legend extreme blank 5C711HMF-B. I did not like the way it turned out. It was very tip "heavy". When Ed got in the st croix model LXC611HMF it felt the same. Very tip "heavy'. Even trying to balance the rod by putting weight into the handle did not help.

I paired it with my heaviest baitcaster. Still very tip "heavy". Now here is the funny thing, when i took it out on the boat it fished totally different. It did not feel tip heavy. In fact it was very well balanced for pitching. It is not a rod I would want to cast any bait with (spinnerbaits or large cranks etc) . The heavy tip helped in the pitching motion.

While balance is important, how it actually fishes is something you can't always predict. What feels great in the store may fish like crap and vice versa.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

That's good to know Norm and I completely understand what you mean. Because pitching is done with an almost vertical rod. I do still believe the DX is the best option for me. Only time on the water will let me know for sure.

Now did we (Biggs, The Maverick, and myself) have a hand in Ed bringing the Megabass line in? Yes we did but he was thinking about it before hand. He actually only brought the xx line in and a couple x4's that were special order. Luckily for me, Biggs ordered the rod I wanted and because Ed had to order in two's, I had a chance to buy the other one. Unfortunately the post is gone but I did not say I would buy or wanted to order the x4 bur only wanted to see what they were all about before making a decision. I did say I would buy a rod from him either way and that is what I did.

Will those rods be on the clearance rack in 6 months? I highly doubt it. The rack was full the first night I was there and was almost empty the last time I was in. He has also told me a lot of people called and are interested in this product. I know of at least three of the rods were sold within the first two days he had them in store and that is only because I know the people who bought them.

They are impressive rods so the next time you are up there, take a look at them. The fit and finish was great and really made my decision hard as stated before. I think you would really like the wraps as well.

Adam
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Just thought I would post a little update.

I headed down to the cottage on Saturday with the boat and a few rods. We were going perch fishing on Sunday so my spinning gear was on board and I figured I could bring the dx745 to pitch off the dock and get a feel for it. Well, as soon as i got to the cottage, I walked out on the dock like I always do and took the first post ice look at the river and low and behold a nice size pike was about 30 feet out from the dock. I took that as a sign and decided to throw a black and blue jig with a small trailer towards it.

The rod is a dream to pitch with and the core is just an awesome reel. It took a few pitches just past the pike to get him to commit. It was pretty cool watching him stalking the bait for a few feet and then losing interest but I guess I finally popped it the way he liked and it was done...

A very short battle and he was on the dock just long enough to show the familly and back into the water he went. The rod showed off a very versatile backbone with a really nice tip. It was a fun way to try out the rod and now I am looking forward to using it even more for bass opener.

Adam
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Very cool, I need to go down and find some hummingbird cable.. Anyways I'll check the megabass and Dobyn rods out.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Lots of talk of balance in these posts. Do you guys tie on the jig that you plan to use when you do this? I guess I'm just not that picky of a guy to stand there trying to figure out a balance point of a rod with a reel on it...

RJ
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

RJ wrote:Lots of talk of balance in these posts. Do you guys tie on the jig that you plan to use when you do this? I guess I'm just not that picky of a guy to stand there trying to figure out a balance point of a rod with a reel on it...

RJ
In all honesty RJ,

I don't tie on what I plan on using. I don't think I would ever even think of that unless it was weighted to the rear of the stick. My thoughts are that if the reel is full (I tried it before I spooled the core and after) it will give a pretty accurate feel of what to expect because the jig is going to be in the water and won't throw off the balance.

Would you test with the jig on it? If so, would you leave the jig in the air or rested on the ground? I am just interested in your point of view and reasoning with tying on the jig and what other benefits this would have.

Some people have different opinions but for me, the better it balances, the less it will take a toll on your body and you will be able to fish longer. That is just my opinion but all of my combos balance quite well and I have been satisfied so far.

Adam
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

To be honest, I've never looked for a balance point in a combo ever. It would seem to me that if you really wanted to balance a rod though you'd need to tie a bait on to do it right.

I've never been a "gear nut" of a "car nut" or a "nut" for anything. If it feels and looks good it'll be good enough for me.

RJ
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Fair enough,

I don't know why but I am increasingly finding myself to be a gear nut. I am already trying to find ways to improve the 100mgfv and I have only fished it once!!!! Awesome reel in its own right but if I could find a CF handle that I liked and wasn't $200.00, I think it be on there like white on rice.

Needles to say I am extremely happy with the combo and it looks sweet so I couldn't have asked for more. The reel looked awesome on the x4 but with it being very tip heavy and the ultra thin handle, I just couldn't commit.

Always nice to hear other peoples' thoughts when it comes to decisions like this but I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Happy fishing,

Adam
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

lape0019 wrote:
Always nice to hear other peoples' thoughts when it comes to decisions like this but I guess it comes down to personal preference.
Very true. :lol: Then how's about this one. If anyone I knew paid $200 for a reel handle I'd tell them they need their head examined. :lol:

RJ
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Unfortunately,

There are people out there that will and the product does exist.

http://japantackle.com/Tuning_parts/Tun ... himano.htm

And if you think the price of the Handles are crazy, check out the spools!!!

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind getting one of those Jdm reels though. I have been really considering the Shimano Aldebaran BFS reel as it is pretty cool looking and designed specifically for finesse baitcasting tactics. It can be had for a lot cheaper on other sites but this one seems to give the most pictures...

I also don't need any more new equipment and holding out to see what is released this year at ICAST.

Adam