bait caster

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
flight2323
Participant
Participant

Re: bait caster

Post by flight2323 »

flight2323 wrote:I have a question everyone...

I'm going to buy a Abu Garcia BlackMax low profile Baitcast reel tomorrow during the day, How long does it actually take to figure out, Can I use 30 pound Braided line with it or is that to heavy?

First time using one that's why I ask....
Its either that real or the Quantum resource Baitic Reel.... Which one is easier to use...??
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I haven't tried any of the reels you mentioned. It takes about 1 hour in the backyard to get used to the basics. But the longer you practice on the water the better you get at it. As for 30lbs braided line, that it'll be perfect. I have a few loaded with 65lbs braid ( flipping and frogging) some with 30 some 20. Some loaded with 14lbs mono.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I want to say save your money and get something a little better like a revo S if you are stuck on Abu Garcia, but this reel actually gets pretty good reviews for a $50.00 baitcaster.

My only concern would be tha the braid may gouge the line guide. I know that Shimano makes braid safe reels down to I think the Caenan (Maybe one grade down from that. Hopefully someone can confirm). Anything less than that uses a softer material that can get pretty chewed up by the rough edges of the braid. Fishing rods are the same as well. If you are looking on putting this on one of Abu Garcia's new rod lines, you should be alright. I am not too familiar with anything less that the revo line of Abu Garcia so I would just see if you can double check this before you make your final decision.

I run 20 pound braid on one of my baitcasters with little issue. Depending on how hard I set the hook, it sometimes gets burried in the spool, but it isn't all that hard to figure out when that happens and just fix it then. 30 pound is a little thicker so you might not see this issue as much. Also, I find when learning, Braid doesn't kink as bad as other lines so it is a good line to start off with.

Adam
Last edited by lape0019 on Fri May 17, 2013 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
flight2323
Participant
Participant

Post by flight2323 »

Wallyboss wrote:I haven't tried any of the reels you mentioned. It takes about 1 hour in the backyard to get used to the basics. But the longer you practice on the water the better you get at it. As for 30lbs braided line, that it'll be perfect. I have a few loaded with 65lbs braid ( flipping and frogging) some with 30 some 20. Some loaded with 14lbs mono.
Thanks for the info Wallyboss :)
flight2323
Participant
Participant

Post by flight2323 »

lape0019 wrote:I want to say save your money and get something a little better like a revo S if you are stuck on Aby Garcia, but this reel actual gets rpretty good reviews for a $50.00 baitcaster.

My only concern would be tha the braid may gouge the line guide. I know that Shimano makes braid safe reels down to I think the Caenan (Maybe one grade down from that. Hopefully someone can confirm). Anything less than that uses a softer material that can get pretty chewed up by the rough edges of the braid. Fishing rods are the same as well. If you are looking on putting this on one of Aby Garcia's new rod lines, you should be alright. I am not too familiar with anything less that the revo line of Abu Garcia so I would just see if you can double check this before you make your final decision.

I run 20 pound braid on one of my baitcasters with little issue. Depending on how hard I set the hook, it sometimes gets burried in the spool, but it isnt all that hard to figure out when that happens and just fix it then. 30 pound is a little thicker so you might not see this issue as much. Also, I find when learning, Braid doesn't kink as bad as other lines so it is a good line to start off with.

Adam
Thanks for letting me know as well as giving me some tips it's much appreciated, I'm actually using a Abu Garcia S30 I purchased about two weeks ago and I'm loving it... I've always wanted to try a Bait Caster because people keep telling me that it's a lot more smooth for casting!!! The reels are expensive these days I think for a decent reel it's about 80 to 120 $..... But... I'm always looking for a deal :D
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

No problem,

For a decent baitcaster you should definitely look in the price range you are thinking. I honestly haven't settled on a specific manufacturer for baitcasters either. For spinning reels, I only use shimano because they just work. I have used others in the past and they were junk. I bought a Stradic ci4 and fell in love. I bought a second one about two months later.

For baitcasters I have a pflueger patriarch xt, revo s (older style), lew's team gold speed spool, shimano curado 200e7, core 100mgfv. Out of them all, for price and ease of use, I have been really impressed by the revo s. I can only assume the new one works just as well.

For ease of use only, the Patriarch xt is definitely the nicest reel I own and is what I learned on. It has dual brakes (centrifical and magnetic) so it is easy to set up to avoid the birds nest. Its just too bad the stopped making them but they are quite similar to the gen 2 revo premiers. I hadn't tried my lew's yet but it has the same set up and gets great reviews.

If you want to check out a reel with dual braking, bass pro have a few that will work good for a bit and Lew's makes the tournament speed spool with this system for under $200.00. Paddletales carries the lew's and Ed can give you the exact price if this interests you.

Adam
flight2323
Participant
Participant

Post by flight2323 »

lape0019 wrote:No problem,

For a decent baitcaster you should definitely look in the price range you are thinking. I honestly haven't settled on a specific manufacturer for baitcasters either. For spinning reels, I only use shimano because they just work. I have used others in the past and they were junk. I bought a Stradic ci4 and fell in love. I bought a second one about two months later.

For baitcasters I have a pflueger patriarch xt, revo s (older style), lew's team gold speed spool, shimano curado 200e7, core 100mgfv. Out of them all, for price and ease of use, I have been really impressed by the revo s. I can only assume the new one works just as well.

For ease of use only, the Patriarch xt is definitely the nicest reel I own and is what I learned on. It has dual brakes (centrifical and magnetic) so it is easy to set up to avoid the birds nest. Its just too bad the stopped making them but they are quite similar to the gen 2 revo premiers. I hadn't tried my lew's yet but it has the same set up and gets great reviews.

If you want to check out a reel with dual braking, bass pro have a few that will work good for a bit and Lew's makes the tournament speed spool with this system for under $200.00. Paddletales carries the lew's and Ed can give you the exact price if this interests you.

Adam
Your just awesome answering all the things I really wanted to know thanks so much :)
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

Hope this bit of info will help you'
Go to one manufacturer of reels and stick with it.
You get to know the ins and outs a lot better.
Once you get the brakes set, easy to work the rest of your reels.
Beware of varying the weight you are casting, this can lead to some fantastic brown bottle drainings.
Pair your rods and reels up properly, so that your getting maximum casting distance, with minimum effort.
One or two reels spooled with braid is enough, work the rest with mono or floro.
Floro for deep work and mono for surface and shallow swimmers.
Sticking with one brand name, not necessarily the big names, and develop your casting habits.
Just remember where did all the big names get their info from 30 years ago.
Check out the Lew's reels.