bait caster

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

bait caster

Post by bostonwhaler »

I just picked up 3 curado bait casters. they have 5 magnets, seem to be a good reel. I am new to the bait cast world. can anyone tell me why i would want to set the magnets to their drag position? It seems silly to limit your casting distance. I have only been casting with a frog in my yard to practice. Havent seemed to get any birds nests that i hear so much about. any tips/ suggestions would be great
Hollywood catches more perch than me
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: bait caster

Post by Wallyboss »

I suggest that you put 3 magnets out to start. If you remove all of them you'll get birdsnests in the middle of your casts. Start with 3 then down to 2 after lot's of practice. Remember to make sure that the magnets out are balanced. 1 out, 1 in, 1 out, 1 in, 1 out.

Youtube "Baitcasting 101" it'll help a lot.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

Wallyboss wrote:1 out, 1 in, 1 out, 1 in, 1 out.
Do this, 3 up and 3 down and follow wallyboss's suggestion. I don't use Shimano baitcasters anymore but at the end of my run with Shimano I was able to go 1 up and 5 down.

FYI.....they are not magnets, they are tabs. Shimano uses a centrifugal brake system not a magnetic one.
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

the guy that sold them to me told me they were magnets lol. i didnt think they were, but wasnt going to argue with him, it only has 5, they are older curado's i will try with three as balanced as I can. I still think I can cast farther with my spinning reel, but I guess I need practice
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

OR...

You could leave them off (push them up towards the lip of the spool) and find out what a birds nest is really quick. The best advice I can give is to learn how to set the reel up. Once that is done, they are great reels. You should be pretty happy with the curado as it is a main stay on a lot of people's boats. Take the time to watch the baitcaster 101. It will save you headaches later. I would also consider learning on braided line that is of a test higher than 20. Any less and it will bury itself in the spool and is a pain to pick out. The upside is that I don't find it kinks as easy as mono or fluorocarbon.

Congrats on the purchase!!! You will find by thumbing the spool you get a lot more control over where you want to put the bait.

Adam
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

If you think you can cast good and want more free spool go for it!!!! Until you hit the open water and just as you let that frog fly you get a nice little head wind..... Next thing you know that reel is put away for the rest of the day birdsnest city lol always start short and go form there.... After 10yrs I still get a good one once a year
Chris
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

lape0019 wrote:OR...

You could leave them off (push them up towards the lip of the spool)
I am pretty sure that if you push them to the outside then they are on. If you push them to the middle they are off.

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Wallyboss wrote:
lape0019 wrote:OR...

You could leave them off (push them up towards the lip of the spool)
I am pretty sure that if you push them to the outside then they are on. If you push them to the middle they are off.
Yup. You are correct. I just looked in my manual... Just got it backwards when I was typing.
flight2323
Participant
Participant

Post by flight2323 »

bostonwhaler wrote:I just picked up 3 curado bait casters. they have 5 magnets, seem to be a good reel. I am new to the bait cast world. can anyone tell me why i would want to set the magnets to their drag position? It seems silly to limit your casting distance. I have only been casting with a frog in my yard to practice. Havent seemed to get any birds nests that i hear so much about. any tips/ suggestions would be great

I was thinking about buying one but watching the vids on utube it looks really hard to figure out so I'm not sure lol
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

flight2323 wrote:
bostonwhaler wrote:I just picked up 3 curado bait casters. they have 5 magnets, seem to be a good reel. I am new to the bait cast world. can anyone tell me why i would want to set the magnets to their drag position? It seems silly to limit your casting distance. I have only been casting with a frog in my yard to practice. Havent seemed to get any birds nests that i hear so much about. any tips/ suggestions would be great

I was thinking about buying one but watching the vids on utube it looks really hard to figure out so I'm not sure lol
It really isn't that hard. It does take some time and practice, but it is worth it in the end. It has been said before here, but if you go down to Paddletales in Winchester, you can select whatever baitcaster you want, Ed will spool it up for you, and if you tell him that it is your first one, he will walk you through the steps and show you how to set everything up. And if you want, you can into the back parking lot and make a few practive casts.

Adam
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

They are definetly worth it. With a bit of practice you will (almost) not want to go back to spinning.

Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Are those the curados with the stop bar feature?

if so

They absolutley ROCK for bottom bouncing for walleye!
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bostonwhaler »

not sure about the stop feature. but I watched the baitcaster 101, Great video. I was casting with my arm, not my wrist. I was however twisting the rod sideways to have the spool not parrallel with the ground. great video, thanks for the tips
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

bostonwhaler wrote: I still think I can cast farther with my spinning reel, but I guess I need practice
Practice is the key they take a bit to get use to but they are handy for some fishing applications where spinning reels just dont have the winching power. Generally you can cast further with spinning gear but baitcasters give you more accuracy and power.
flight2323
Participant
Participant

Post by flight2323 »

I have a question everyone...

I'm going to buy a Abu Garcia BlackMax low profile Baitcast reel tomorrow during the day, How long does it actually take to figure out, Can I use 30 pound Braided line with it or is that to heavy?

First time using one that's why I ask....