Bass Pro Shops 100MPH rain gear. Is it really worth it?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Bass Pro Shops 100MPH rain gear. Is it really worth it?

Post by lape0019 »

I have read a lot of reviews on this gear and am thinking of buying one in June when I go down to the US as my wedding anniversary gift to myslef (Heading down with the wife and will be basically buying our own gifts this year).

I just wanted to find out if there is anyone on this board that has used them and what they really think of the product. I want something that will keep me dry and I want to stop wasting money on something that works for a few months and is either ripped because it is cheap or doesn't repell water anymore because the coating has worn off. I also want it to be breathable and comfortable to move in.

The Jacket and Bibs are around $500.00. I would much rather pay less but this is one of the cheaper Gore-Tex setups I have found.

I also wouldn't mind hearing whatever you guys are using as well. It may save me a few $$$.

Thanks,

Adam
Last edited by lape0019 on Fri May 17, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flight2323
Participant
Participant

Re: Bass Pro Shops 100MOH rain gear.

Post by flight2323 »

First I wanna wish you and your wife an early Happy Anniversary :)

I haven't warn one yet but I'm thinking about getting one as well. I hope you can find one a lot more cheap and save some money :)
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Bass Pro Shops 100MPH rain gear. Is it really worth it?

Post by CNs »

check out the Frabill suits.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

Is it worth it?

Yes.
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Thanks beachburger,

I haven't read too many bad reviews on these things, it is just something I would prefer a little more unsure on first. Are they as breathable and waterproof as everyone seams to make them out to be?

Norm,

I checked out the Frabill fxe storm suit and it seems to be about the same price. The reviews seem to be about the same so I guess it will come down to how these things look in person. Luckily, there will be time for stops at a couple different sports stores so I can check a lot of them out.

I would love to buy a Simms pro dry rain jacket but the cost of it just makes it unattainable to buy all together. The jacket alone is $500.00!!!

Thanks for he replies and keep me coming if you have any other suggestions or experience with the bps suit.

Adam
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

lape0019 wrote:Are they as breathable and waterproof as everyone seams to make them out to be?
Yes.

I bought my 100MPH suit in Jan 2012 and the first time I used it was in May 2012 when I was a marshal at a Bassmasters Elite series event in Tennessee. The temps were in the 90s and days 2 and 3 had torrential downpours that lasted several hours. On day 3, I wore the suit pretty much all day. There were also the 70 MPH boat rides blasting from one spot to the next. Stayed dry and comfy through it all.

The suit has had no problems dealing with any rains the Ottawa area has been able to throw at it so far.
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Thanks Beachburger,

That is the exact info I was looking for 90 degree rainy days are never fun if not fully prepared. Your information has provided me with a little more confidence going forward.

Adam
Astro-Mike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Astro-Mike »

I love mine it has been great. Well worth the bucks
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

A good rain suit is worth every nickel you spend on it.
BPS 100 MPH suit or the Frabill suit is money well spent.
Not just for rain, but for staying warm on those early morning runs at 70 MPH.
The wind cutting protection is worth every bit of the money poured into this equipment.
Frabill was built for fishermen by fishermen, The Lindner's family.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

I myself bought the 100mph Bassproshop suit, forest green and I can't wait to try it out. :mrgreen:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Well,

With all of the good things people are saying about this rain gear, I couldn't wait until next week to purchase it.

The wife received a 25% off code from BPS last week and it expires today so I took the plung early to save about $100.00 on it. I would have loved to have tried it on but I could not pass up savings like that so I have a black outfit coming in the next few weeks.

Thanks to all who have replied. I am looking forward to trying this thing out the when it comes in.

Adam
WorldO
Participant
Participant

Post by WorldO »

BPS 100 MPH suit or the Frabill suit is money well spent.
Not just for rain, but for staying warm on those early morning runs at 70 MPH.
The wind cutting protection is worth every bit of the money poured into this equipment.????
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Although this is quite an old thread, thanks for the info.

I have had the suit for a few years now and still love it. I wear it a lot in the fall and it really helps with stopping the wind from chilling you to the bone. It is a great rain suit and I am glad I bought it when I did because the costs of them now are pretty crazy.

a good rain suit is worth its weight in gold so if anyone else ever feels like they need something with a little more quality that will hold up for years to come, do not hesitate in investing in one of these suits.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

If after a couple years, you find that your suit has lost it's ability to repel water, there is a product carried at a few shops around Ottawa that will bring the suit back to it's original level of repelling rain. The suit should be washed with a cleaner prior to spraying with Nikwax. I've been told the product from Gallagher's is a little superior to the Nikwax wash product.
Just hope this helps some people save some money and restores their rainsuits to original quality.
These products are approved for use on Goretex breathable suits.