Picking a line for top water Bass

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
bostonwhaler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Picking a line for top water Bass

Post by bostonwhaler »

K, now that I have a bait Casting rod/reel, what line would I put on it for fishing bass with top water lures? I know it might sound like a silly question, but I would love to hear everyones opinion? I was told last year to run Floro Carbon on my lines, but then another guy told me to never do that to only tie Floro onto the ends.
What do you use for topwater with a baist casting reel???
Hollywood catches more perch than me
MichaelVandenberg
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Picking a line for top water Bass

Post by MichaelVandenberg »

Fluro and Braid sink and this is why they are not typically used for topwater. The only exception would be for frogging because that is typically done in think cover and not in open water so whatever type of line you used will lay on top of the weeds and not be able to sink.

Open water top water fishing is one of the few techniques where mono has the advantage over other type of lines. This is because it floats and stretches. Two attributes of line needed for this technique.

In terms of brand, there are lots of good lines out. I trust Berkley and have no reason to try other mono brands.

Mike
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Congrats on the new reel.

I will echo that you will not want to use flourocarbon for topwater baits. I use it mainly because it sinks for crankbaits and jerkbaits. Because the line sinks, it allows the lure to go deeper down in the water column. You can use it as a main line but it is a little harder to deal with. It doesn't work extremely well on Spinning reels because of its memory, but seems to work fine on baitcasting reels. My spinning outfits have braid as a main line and usually use a 4 foot piece or fluorocarbon as a leader.

I use mono for walking the dog type of baits, buzzbaits, or plastic toads but as most of these baits are moving when they get hit and I like to have a little bit of stretch in the line to ensure I dont rip the bait out of their mouth or put a huge hole in their check.

As for braid, I have always noticed it floats just as well if not better than mono so this is where my post differs from Mike's. I use 65lbs Power Pro for Hollow Bodied frogs in thick weeds. Pretty much everything else I fish is on Mono.

Adam
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

For poppers, spooks and other topwaters that have trebles hook, I prefer mono (12 lb) so there is some stretch to help keep the trebles from ripping out. For frogs and buzzbaits, 65 lb braid.
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

^ Same but I use 50 pound braid on my frogs, 65 cost more and I've never broken off on 50.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/