Dobyns 763SF

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Dobyns 763SF

Post by CNs »

Picked up a Dobyns 763sf Champion series recently. Had a chance to try it out yesterday throwing a jig for walleyes. I paired it with a Daiwa Aird (75.00$ Le baron).

1) Caught no walleyes
2) Slewed the rockbass.

Now here is the interesting part. I was catchubg some nice sized Rockies and some very small rockies. I felt every tick and hit. Even the smallest rockie thumped the rod. This is a 7'6" 3 power rod. I was very surprised how sensitive this rod is.

Might have to look into a 702sf or a 682 sf
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Dobyns 763SF

Post by lape0019 »

Nice pick Norm!,

I haven't yet used the 3 power rods but have the 702sf. I was using it today for perch and it is just as sensitive as what you are describing with the 763. It is great for fishing tubes as well and I use it for drop shotting a lot too. Dobyns recommends the 701 for this task but I find the 2 power has a soft enough tip to pull it off quite nicely.

Adam
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

I have built about 17 rods . All on St croix legend tournament (blue) , Legend Extreme (blue green flip)and elite (Brown) blanks. I built an 8ft Frog rod on a salmon back bouncing blank. I Used spinning blanks to build baitcasting rods and vice versa. I used the same blanks that St croix used for their technique specific rods.

There were only 2 rods that did not really work as expected. One was a jerk bait rod the other was a jig and worm rod. The jerk bait rod just did not cast very well. I re built it twice (stripped the guides and re-positioned them) but it never felt right. When I compared it to a Simax Jerkbait rod from their technique specific series, the flexed the same, were the same length and the guides matched up in the same position. I am retiring my custom jerkbait. rod. Same with the Jig'n worm. After using the Dobyns, I now wonder how many fish I have been missing.

As I said I am happy with most of what I have built. The reason I started is that when I was looking for a better rod, what I wanted, wasn't being built.
Split grips, recoil guides, titanium guides. No cork/foam fore grips skeleton reel seats, custom painted reel seats. Rods with less weight. Some techniques. It was also something to do. To make fishing more personal.

Rod manufacturers have taken a few pages from custom builders (split grips no fore grips, less cork - better eva foam, split reel seats etc, and are producing them now.

With what you can now purchase, I can't see myself building anymore rods.

Hmmm maybe crankbait painting...........
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Any updates on this rod,How did the summer go with it?
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Brad,

It is one of my favourite rods. Other than that I did pick up a 762SF. Took some time to get used to it.
I will probably be paring down my equipment as I find I am only using cetain rods. The rest seem to be just extras.

What I usually use:

Dobyns 763/2 sf
Fenwick Elitetech crankbait rod
Dobyns 764 cb rm
Simax Jerk bait
Simax drop shot
Crucial worm n jig

Apart from these I have some very technique specific rods which I rarely use
St Croix 7 11 pitchin stick
St Croix 8 foot frog rod built on an AVID Back Bouncing blank
and a couple of spinnerbait rods and flipping rods.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

CN wrote:Brad,

It is one of my favourite rods. Other than that I did pick up a 762SF. Took some time to get used to it.
I will probably be paring down my equipment as I find I am only using cetain rods. The rest seem to be just extras.

What are you tossing on the 763?

I just sealed the deal on the extreme model and planned on using it for underspins,finesse jigs & occasional wacky rigged senkos. I had a super hard time finding anyone that had really fished the rod, many of the staffers I talked to had held the rod but never had any time on the water with it. A lot of them suggested the DX743sf but I really wanted that extra length & it also has somewhat if a slower action which is what was looking for.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Wacky worms, tubes and jigs. Did not know they had a 743
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant