Chatterbaits- who uses them?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Chatterbaits- who uses them?

Post by lape0019 »

I don't know where I was reading, but apparently these things work quite well depending on how you use it. I have seen them at paddletales for a few years now but have never grabbed one because they just look too gimmicky to me. I use jigs and spinnerbaits and this seems to be kind of a hybrid of the two so it might be worthwhile.

One of the reviews I was reading says a few pro's use them like a lipless cranks because although they are not weedless, they are more so than a crank and you still get sounds from the vibrating blade.

My questions are who uses them? Are they any good? And how do you guys fish them? I have read some reports online and have come a little closer to buying a few but I am still not soldiers the idea. Mind you, I haven't come around to the umbrella rig either...

Adam
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Chatterbaits- who uses them?

Post by BradGuenette »

Most people I have seen throwing them are using them in&around grass exactly how you described it, but my favorite way to fish a chatterbait is pitching it around docks, they also skip very well. Get it as far as you can under the dock let it sink and bring it along the dock this works best for me on high sky sunny days when the fish are snuck back in there for shade. I mostly use the boo-yah's. have some new ones to try this season excited to try the Molix Lover!

Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

That's actually a pretty good idea and that molix is just sick looking!!!!

Do you use trailers with them to bulk them up at all? It seems popular in the states but our fishing is a bit different up here in the good old North.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

lape0019 wrote:That's actually a pretty good idea and that molix is just sick looking!!!!

Do you use trailers with them to bulk them up at all? It seems popular in the states but our fishing is a bit different up here in the good old North.

Little dippers, single tail grubs & flukes. Pretty much the same thing I would put on the back of a swim jig.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

I usually have one tied on but it's a hit and miss thing for me. When it's on, it's really on and I'll throw it at and into stuff all day. I'll give it 5 mins to see if it's on or not and will pick it up a few times over the course of a day if the bite is slow. I use grubs and booyah tails as trailers.
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I could see all of those working really well. The booyah trailers look interesting as well. Again, the people using them in the States use much larger trailers so I wasn't sure. Glad I asked!!!

Keep the information coming boys!!!!

This is what I love about fish-hawk. There is always someone who has done it before and is WILLING to provide advice!!!

Thanks to you both and hoping many more follow

Adam
Militant Outdoors
Participant
Participant

Post by Militant Outdoors »

Great post!

2 cents..... Chatter bait and you can stir up some aggressive bass! A high gear ratio reel is helpful. ... 6'5" Med/Hvy ... Fast action...

Great post!
Militant Outdoors does not represent the opinions of the moderators or those who post on this forum. Militant Outdoors is an alternative media resource, intended for the mature audience. Militant Outdoors... ... ...What's your M.O.?tm
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I threw them in Florida on Okeechobee. Used a Bruiser Super Swimmer as a trailer and fished them just below the surface. The hits when they came were explosive. Haven't had as much luck with them in Canada but haven't thrown them much either, which begs the question....WHY NOT?
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Militant Outdoors wrote:Great post!

2 cents..... Chatter bait and you can stir up some aggressive bass! A high gear ratio reel is helpful. ... 6'5" Med/Hvy ... Fast action...

Great post!
Now that good info too. I was thinking since it was similar to a spinnerbait, I would probably use my champion 734(heavy fast). I don't really have anything that short other than my gl2 crankbait rod but I am sure I can manage with something in my arsenal. I may have to try it with a few of my rods to see what I like the most.

Thanks!

Adam
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

I have tried them and with the exception of a few rockies, I haven't caught diddly-squat on them.

At this point they are on the pile of fishing stuff I don't use anymore.

Who knows, they may get a reprieve this season.

Steve
Dobyns Army member
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

lape0019 wrote:
Militant Outdoors wrote:Great post!

Great post!
Now that good info too. I was thinking since it was similar to a spinnerbait, I would probably use my champion 734(heavy fast). I don't really have anything that short other than my gl2 crankbait rod but I am sure I can manage with something in my arsenal. I may have to try it with a few of my rods to see what I like the most.

Thanks!

Adam
The 734 is the rod I use to throw them paired with a 7.1:1 Lew's spooled up with 15lb fluoro. The hook up ratio with this rod is unreal. Plenty of back bone but still has that soft tip. As much as I love my extremes, I think my 734 has to be the most vesitile rod in my line up.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Awesome to hear!!!
I am looking forward to trying it out.
I have a patriarch xt (6.4:1) installed with 17 pound mono on it. I am looking forward to trying my dx745 more in the next couple of weeks, but that 734 holds a special place for me. First baitcaster, first Dobyns, and just a down right great rod for spinnerbaits/buzzbaits. This rod is the reason I have more now and will probably be one I never sell.

Where did you pick up the molix chatterbaits? I think I will probably start out with a metal blade but those do look nice.
Adam.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

lape0019 wrote:Awesome to hear!!!
I am looking forward to trying it out.
I have a patriarch xt (6.4:1) installed with 17 pound mono on it. I am looking forward to trying my dx745 more in the next couple of weeks, but that 734 holds a special place for me. First baitcaster, first Dobyns, and just a down right great rod for spinnerbaits/buzzbaits. This rod is the reason I have more now and will probably be one I never sell.

Where did you pick up the molix chatterbaits? I think I will probably start out with a metal blade but those do look nice.
Adam.

The 734 was my first Dobyns aswell. I dont think ill ever part with it! I had to get the Molix from Tackle Warehouse. I had to make an order for a few things I couldn't get locally so I had to pick those up while I was at it. Locally the boo-yah, z-man & strike king can be found!
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I will probably stick with the z-man and the booyah this year. Those molix ones are described as a vibrating jig and seem a little different. Great detail, but I don't think I want to try something with a fixed or inverted blade just yet. Pretty cool concept Though. I like that the hook seems to be able to swivel as it is not attached to the head. If everything goes good this year, I may just pick them up. Talk about a premium price though!!!!

Mind you, I don't seem to have an issue buying megabass so this is nowhere near that bad.

Adam
gonefishin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by gonefishin »

I don‘t use them often but when I do I typically use them around rock or docks...let it sink a little and it will usually produce a few.