Musky combo choices?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Musky combo choices?

Post by Wallyboss »

Guys, I've posted this before but I think it was lost in the F-H issue we had earlier!!

I am looking to purchase a musky combo. A reel that is very interesting to me is the Curado 301, but it is on the expensive side a bit, so what other option do I have?? Looking for a low profile reel.

For the rod I am looking for at least an 8 feet. I will be using this combo for casting musky lures ie. Bulldawgs, ect!!.

Thanks in advance

Dan aka WB
Last edited by Wallyboss on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Rideau_Lungehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Musky combo choices?

Post by Rideau_Lungehunter »

Not sure you would want the same combo for throwing bulldawgs and spinnerbaits ... quite a difference in wait between the two.

I use a highspeed reel and medium to medium heavy combo for spinnerbaits and a lowspeed reel and heavy combo for bulldawgs.

8 feet is a good length as it makes it easier to figure 8 at boatside.

Shimano reels and St. Croix rods.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Thanks R_L Yeah I am not sure why I wrote spinnerbaits. I meant the big musky lures.

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

If you are going to by just one reel, you probably DO NOT want a high speed reel. Something in a gear ratio around 5:1 is going to be a much better "all purpose" choice.

The harder a bait pulls, the lower gear ratio, makes them easier reel in. Baits like tandem spinner baits, Big double bladed inlines like cowgirls, large crankbaits, all much easier to pull in with a lower ratio. Easy pulling baits like jerkbaits, topwaters, plastics, high speed reels are better to pick up slack line some of those presentations create
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Thanks Relic, I'll keep that in mind!!

BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

I've heard good things (on the internet) about the Daiwa Lexa 300 Power Series it's a low profile reel at a bit cheaper price but most guys swear by their Curados. I bought the Revo Toro Winch and used it yesterday all day worked great except for the fish catching part...

If you haven't already you should check out http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/ they have a great tackle and equipment forum that should give you tons of info. after a couple simple searches.