Dobyns 765 CB RM Lews BB1

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Dobyns 765 CB RM Lews BB1

Post by CNs »

Was able to try out the Dobyns 764 CB RM 7' 6? 1pc. 8-14lb, 1/4-3/4oz, Medium Mod/Fast Action Randy McAbee Signature Crankbait Rod paired with a lews bb1. I spooled it with Sunline Sniper FC 10lb floro.

The 765Cb is a one piece, seven foot, 6 inch rod (7'-6"). It features a painted blank finished in matt black. The full rear grip is a good grade of cork and has very tight tolerances with no visible gaps between materials and components. The rod comes with stainless steel framed guides by Kigan, with SiC inserts. These guides perform well enough although their construction is a bit odd. The rod's reel seat is a standard, Fuji exposed blank model, and there is a closed loop hook keeper on this rod located above the reel seat on the left side of the blank.

The lews BB1 has a 6-Pin Centrifugal Brake System (CBS), forged aluminum double anodized spool, big oversized titanium line guide, low profile design, swept handles, clickable drag and tension and more. The reels take up the 21 inches on the 5:1 models, feature multi-stop anti reverse on the low gear ratios, feature an extended line guide for greater distance casting and the big paddles on the handle. It took a little bit to get used to how it casts and how to set the pins on the 6-pin smart CBS. It’s accessed under the left side plate by pulling the pin that you would normally unscrew. That tension pin makes changing up in the wind and such pretty easy without worrying about losing a screw or something on a windy day. I had less issues setting up this reeel that the Lews Super Duty.

Using a Strike King 5xd in sexy shad, the rod and reel worked very well together - good feel of the bait and the reel cast very well. UNfortunately the fish were not looking for slow moving deep baits, so I can't say how well the rod fought any fish.

They were smashing shallow cranks and jerkbaits. It gave me a chance to try out some new baits: The river2see BIggie Small TS Minnow colour. This bait caught everything that swam. Smallies, pike, BLUEGILLS! Largies. Never caught a blue gill on a crank before. The crankbait is easy to fish and a straight retrieve brings the lure back with a subtle side to side swing versus the traditional wobble found on so many other squarebills.

That's it for now.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Dobyns 765 CB RM Lews BB1

Post by lape0019 »

Nice write up Norm.

I guess you have gotten hooked on the DR craze like some of us here.
The Kigan guides do look funny but I have not had one break yet and apparantly if you do break one, they will send you out another one to have installed by someone local instead of having you pay S&H down there to have it done. It saves time and money doing it this way.

How did you find the "feel" of the baits motion using the BB1? I ask because I have heard that you get a lot more of a connected feel to the bait with that reel and you can almost feel the wobble through the handle.

I have only tried my team gold out once so far and it did take a little more adjusting than I would have liked, but I chalk that up to the winter rust coming off. It is a very smooth reel though and I look forward to using it some more.

Adam
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Adam, I will be out again this weekend and will have a better report on the Lews BB1.

Will also try out some new lures. The rapala BT minnow, some Bagley topwaters, and some Strike King KVD Slash baits.

I am tying to throw more hardbaits rather than always using a waxky worm or drop shot.

Will also throw some inline spinners for fun.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

CN wrote:Adam, I will be out again this weekend and will have a better report on the Lews BB1.

Will also try out some new lures. The rapala BT minnow, some Bagley topwaters, and some Strike King KVD Slash baits.

I am tying to throw more hardbaits rather than always using a waxky worm or drop shot.

Will also throw some inline spinners for fun.
So what's the verdict on the BB1? Have you had time to try it out?
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Very much.

Although I don't really see/feel any difference with the anti reverse thingy. Of the three lews reels its the best one in terms of operation.

The MSB has magnets works very well and is easy to adjust.
The super duty casts a mile but is very sensitive to magnets and spool tension adjustments
The BB1 casts a mile and is easy to adjust.

Now the question? Would I get another BB1? yes in a heartbeat.
Last edited by CNs on Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Thanks for the information.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

CN wrote:Now the question? Would I get another BB1? yes in a heartbeat.
Perhaps the new BB1-Pro version?
Carbon fiber handle and adjustable side plate breaking system.

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

That one as well in a 5:1