rod repair help

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Codysouth9
Participant
Participant

rod repair help

Post by Codysouth9 »

Hey guys,
Just bought my first musky rod. Got it used for a good deal but then realised that the inner ring of the top eyelet is missing.
Does anyone know of how I can fix this? or where to bring it to get fixed?
Thanks in advance!
Gone Fishin'
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: rod repair help

Post by Roblin »

Those rod tip kits work well. The ones at CTC come with three different sized tips and hot melt glue. Bass Pro also has the tips and I like their kits better. All you do is use a lighter to slowly heat up the broken tip. It should come right off with a little heat. Don't get it too hot as you don't want to burn the rod. Then wipe off the rod tip with a rag. Use the lighter to heat your hot melt glue and put a bit on the rod tip. Get the guide ready, gently warm the hot melt with the lighter and then side the guide on the tip. Wipe off the extra glue and line up the guide with the others and your done. Nothing to it.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Good luck finding the right size. I broke the tip guide of my 7ft lead core rod and not a chance I could find anything locally. Everything was pretty small in those cheap kits I did find. This is for a musky rod after all.
First I would see if the tip comes off easily. Wipe it real clean and then measure it it so you know what size you need before you buy. You may well have to order online.
Too bad Reel to Reel Plus isn't around anymore. That was quality work there.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Basspad
Participant
Participant

Post by Basspad »

Oziles at Petrie island does a great job at replacing tips. I lost the ceramic insert on my flipping stick and brought it to them. He charged me less than $10. He cut the tip off cleanly covered it in a epoxy of some sort, put on a new tip and wrapped it back on. Aside from a little colour difference and the rod being 1" shorter, you would never know. I've used repair kits before with good success but they did an amazing job of a repaire for only a dollar or two more than a kit. And a better job I think.