Well, Shimano is winning me over again.

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Well, Shimano is winning me over again.

Post by StarTzar »

cprince wrote:
Jimmy_1 wrote:Seeing as I catch several nickels a year.
:banana-gotpics:

(That is what this thread is missing...!!!)

Craig, Posting Nickel Pics in a thread about Shimano top of the line reels would not be very apropos.
You have to post Pics that are more in line with the price of those reels ... I'm thinking 6.48

BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

StarTzar wrote:
cprince wrote:
Jimmy_1 wrote:Seeing as I catch several nickels a year.
:banana-gotpics:

(That is what this thread is missing...!!!)

Craig, Posting Nickel Pics in a thread about Shimano top of the line reels would not be very apropos.
You have to post Pics that are more in line with the price of those reels ... I'm thinking 6.48

That beast must have been caught on Dobyns rod.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

BradGuenette wrote: That beast must have been caught on Dobyns rod.
LOLOLOLOLLOLOL
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

BradGuenette wrote:
That beast must have been caught on Dobyns rod.
Of course, Dobyns rods will catch you 6lbs+ behemoths.....the rods are that good! ;)
Let's get back on topic you pot stirring gear heads!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:On man,

That is a list of awesome reels that I "want".

Zonda 68
Lin 10 Meteor
Hyper Lariat
Aldebaran BFS

These are all reels I have been longing to even hold over the past year or two...

Unless I can find them used, none of them will ever happen. Well, maybe the BFS if I can get over no factory warranty or support 8-) 8-)
If I could ever get myself to up my Cap Hit from $300 to $1,100 I would buy a Lin 10C-R Zirconia Meteor reel. 8)
That would look awesome on my Dobyns 743DX. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
There is something about a round bait-casting reel; it's got that classic look. :bow-yellow:
Here is a link to that reel....
http://samuraitackle.com/fishing/index. ... s_id=19650

But alas, it's not going to happen any time soon ... 'cause I'm saving up for a place in Florida. :confusion-shrug:
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

StarTzar wrote:
lape0019 wrote:On man,

That is a list of awesome reels that I "want".

Zonda 68
Lin 10 Meteor
Hyper Lariat
Aldebaran BFS

These are all reels I have been longing to even hold over the past year or two...

Unless I can find them used, none of them will ever happen. Well, maybe the BFS if I can get over no factory warranty or support 8-) 8-)
If I could ever get myself to up my Cap Hit from $300 to $1,100 I would buy a Lin 10C-R Zirconia Meteor reel. 8)
That would look awesome on my Dobyns 743DX. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
There is something about a round bait-casting reel; it's got that classic look. :bow-yellow:
Here is a link to that reel....
http://samuraitackle.com/fishing/index. ... s_id=19650

But alas, it's not going to happen any time soon ... 'cause I'm saving up for a place in Florida. :confusion-shrug:
A little to bulky.....but a Steez SV or T3 SV would also look very sharp on a DX and palm way better then the Lin.

http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa/Daiwa_Steez_SV.htm

http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa/Daiwa_T3_SV.htm

As for Florida, maybe Jimmy would be kind enough to send you an invite once he gets his place down there.....then we could head up with all are flashy gear and fish the beds and catch them big'ol spawning behemoths!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I was thinking hyper lariat. The color would not match but I think the contrast might just work. The deep color of the more affordable scorpion would look good as well.

Japan tackle is a great place to see what is available in the Japanese market, but those prices are rediculous compared to some of the other places you can find.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I just read another write up on this reel from the bassmaster webpage.

It is pretty interesting. The Micro Module gearing coupled with X-ship is certainly going to make for a super smooth reel.

http://www.bassmaster.com/gear/hot-prod ... ship-reels

Adam
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

They are incredible reels for those with incredibly high taste that's fer sure. Clearly there is a market for them.
Jimmy_1 wrote: Seeing as I catch several nickels a year.

$500 will buy you a week in the south nowadays....add $80 and thats a guided fishing trip while there!

But those that enjoy going deeper in debt for rods and reels...that's your decisions and have at er!
1. Whoa. :lol:

2. Where? and guided by who? :lol:

3. Who said they were going "in debt" to make these purchases? :lol:

RJ
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Image[/url]

I love it. I want to have little Craig/Bass babies with it. They would be called Crass.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Sure RJ :D

When I was in Holguin Cuba in 2011 you could get a deep sea charter to fish out of the resort for $80 a person for 6 hours (including tour bus to and from resort). In fact, as me and wifey are planning a trip next fall we see that this is still the case (+$50 for some resorts within the Dominican, Mexico and Cuba).
So $80-$120 will indeed get you out for the day!
Not to mention that flights to these places are currently going for $600-$900 (all in and depending on star rating).
So thats a rod and reel right there.

So, I am wrong when I state most people have cash to spend on rods and reels in the $500+ range?
Hmmm.....
No kids maybe? Double dippers? Retiree's? Sponsored? :lol:
I highly doubt someone in their 30's and 40's, who raises a family, mortgage, car payments etc has that kind of disposable income...especially when the average house price is $300k and the average household salary is $90k....
Unless of course the kids have no extra-curriculars, you take the bus everywhere...which I doubt. Fact is most people live off of credit sadly. (Something I am glad I no longer do) and when thats the case fishing income isnt most people's priority.

My point is the average person does not have the money to consistently walk into a store and buy the latest and greatest with cash! Now if they do, and they get their $$ illegally well thats for the cops and CRA to sort :D
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

RJ wrote: 3. Who said they were going "in debt" to make these purchases? :lol:

RJ

Jimmy.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

cprince wrote:
I love it. I want to have little Craig/Bass babies with it. They would be called Crass.
Then the river would be full of little CrassTards.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Jimmy_1 wrote: My point is the average person does not have the money to consistently walk into a store and buy the latest and greatest with cash! Now if they do, and they get their $$ illegally well thats for the cops and CRA to sort :D
Your exactly right. The average person does not have the money to buy high end tackle, it is defintley a niche market when it comes to this type of gear. It's fairly simply, fish with what you can afford. Sure we dont all need Dobyns Extremes,Loomis GLX's/NRX's and $300+ reels we could all get by with Zebco combos from CT, but are they a pleasure to fish and I wouldn't want to use anything else. I by no means have a ton of extra disposable income to spend on fishing gear, but I save for everything putting money aside monthly so when I have enough to go buy those more expensive items rod/reels I am able to do so, I saved for just over a year to buy my line up of Extremes. It's like everything in life some eat hot dogs others eat filet mignon :wink:
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

BradGuenette wrote:putting money aside monthly so when I have enough to go buy those more expensive items rod/reels
So basically, you are putting money aside ($600-$900) as if someone would want to go down to the Dominican, Cuba, or Mexico let's say next fall?
Just trying to understand, I sure don't have the money to just walk in a travelling agency and book a flight, resort, insurance, a deep sea charter and all associated expenses due to travelling....

But then again, this is a Fishing Forum, and under the Rods, Reels & other Gear I'm sure I'll find answers to my travelling dilemmas! :roll:

Jimmy O tool....*applause* way to kill a forum! *applause*....