Well, Shimano is winning me over again.

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Well, Shimano is winning me over again.

Post by lape0019 »

I just read a sweet article about shimano bringing over the Antares and Metanium from the Japanese market. I for one cannot wait to see these in person.

The metanium is about as high in price as I would like to go but the Antares just looks sweet. The only thing that would have made me happier was if they brought over the Aldebaran BFS, but this is a good start.

Adam
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Well, Shimano is winning me over again.

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:I just read a sweet article about shimano bringing over the Antares and Metanium from the Japanese market. I for one cannot wait to see these in person.

The metanium is about as high in price as I would like to go but the Antares just looks sweet. The only thing that would have made me happier was if they brought over the Aldebaran BFS, but this is a good start.

Adam
Very nice reels but wayyyyyyyyy out of my price range. :shock:
The Metanium will retail (US) for $419.99 and the Antares at a cool $599.99

I just can't get myself to spending that kind of money for reels.
My Cap hit is set at $300 give or take $50 (Tax in)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I'll most likely have them at Paddletales, but I'll just bring in singles. The new Chronarch however, I brought in bunches, including lefty's that have now arrived. Star?? Are you listening???
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Jason Daoust
Participant
Participant

Post by Jason Daoust »

The Antares looks like a good reel to replace my Calais for frogs :twisted:
Of all the liars in the world fishermen are the most trustworthy!
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

The funny thing with these new reels is that they are available at lower prices on eBay and Rakuten $340 for the Metanium. One thing holding back many folks myself included from considering going JDM is the question of service,parts & warrenty. Something yet to be answered, is if someone purchases a Antares or Metanium from Japan,and later needs warranty support, will they be able to get that from Shimano Canada or will they have a way of knowing what reels it imported and limit their support ONLY to those reels?
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

StarTzar wrote:Very nice reels but wayyyyyyyyy out of my price range. :shock:
The Metanium will retail (US) for $419.99 and the Antares at a cool $599.99

I just can't get myself to spending that kind of money for reels.
My Cap hit is set at $300 give or take $50 (Tax in)
I myself don't like spending over $300.00 either but I have fallen in love with my Core and with the Met only being a few dollars more, I may consider getting one for my next reel. As said on that other site, If they discontinue the Core and sell them off, I may just grab a 100MG or 50MG instead as they are great reels.
toobinator wrote:I'll most likely have them at Paddletales, but I'll just bring in singles. The new Chronarch however, I brought in bunches, including lefty's that have now arrived. Star?? Are you listening???
Awesome to hear ED!!!, I will definitly be in to check them out sooner or later once they come in. Again, the Antares is a little out of my grasp and I could understand why you would only want to bring in singles but I would imagine the Metanium will have the interest of a few more anglers as the price is so close to the Core and that seems to seel quite well for you.
Jason Daoust wrote:The Antares looks like a good reel to replace my Calais for frogs :twisted:
The old Antares was identical to the Calais so I don't think you would see much difference other than some upgraded goodies that probably weren't out when your Calais came out. I kick myself for not buying one of the old models that Paddletales had on clearence. They sure did look like sweet reels.
BradGuenette wrote:The funny thing with these new reels is that they are available at lower prices on eBay and Rakuten $340 for the Metanium. One thing holding back many folks myself included from considering going JDM is the question of service,parts & warrenty. Something yet to be answered, is if someone purchases a Antares or Metanium from Japan,and later needs warranty support, will they be able to get that from Shimano Canada or will they have a way of knowing what reels it imported and limit their support ONLY to those reels?
Good point Brad, but is this price with Shipping? I would imagine once you factor in shipping costs, duties, and taxes, you are probably going to be close to the same price.

As for repair work, the way I am reading it sounds like they will come with full warranty and parts sourcing through Canada. I would imagine Shimano would try and differntiate something in the two market reels, but until they come out and some poeple with JDM versions get a hold of them, I don't think we will have our answer. My guess would be that they change something within the reel to note where they were purchased from. Something like a stamp on the side plate...

Either way, there is going to be warranty for them now so that is a plus.

Adam
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Wait......$500 for a reel??

Does it come with a guaranteed 5+lb bass being caught every ten casts?????

YIKES!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Wait......$500 for a reel??

YIKES!
No Jimmy,

$599.99. The sad thing is that it is not even the most expensive reel on the market...

These reels are for the people who need to fish with nothing but the best. Are they worth it? Probably, but you won't see me forking over $600 for a reel any time soon. I am just happy Shimano has started to address the higher end stuff instead of messing around with cheapening lines that have always stood for quality reels at a specific price point.

I am not saying the curado g or the chronarch e are bad reels at all. They just aren't in line with their better quality predecessors.

With the ch150ci4+ and these two new additions, Shimano may get my money again.

Adam
Last edited by lape0019 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Wait......$500 for a reel??

YIKES!
Apprehending mentally that 500$ reels are of substantial existence is a conceptualization that you will never be able to conceive.
Rest assured, nor are they meant to overshadow the accustomed angler, nor will they catch you nickels.....you need skills to achieve that task!

They're simply aimed towards the recklessly wasteful and wildly extravagant enthusiast....such as myself.

Oh 500$+ reels where art thou, as I suddenly feel the need to gracefully lavish my rods!

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

On man,

That is a list of awesome reels that I "want".

Zonda 68
Lin 10 Meteor
Hyper Lariat
Aldebaran BFS

These are all reels I have been longing to even hold over the past year or two...

Unless I can find them used, none of them will ever happen. Well, maybe the BFS if I can get over no factory warranty or support 8-) 8-)
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Well Maverick

Seeing as I was a 2010 BAOO Team of the Year Winner (with my partner).
Seeing as I catch several nickels a year.

Heck I even catch longnose gar on CT rod combos using mono.

I guess, yes, wasting my money to have the "latest and greatest" does befall me... :roll:
Perhaps others may have other life priorities....such as, you know family responsibilities.
$500 will buy you a week in the south nowadays....add $80 and thats a guided fishing trip while there!

However, I guess when I own a place in FL and a place here I can thank myself for saving! :lol:

But those that enjoy going deeper in debt for rods and reels...that's your decisions and have at er!
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Seeing as I catch several nickels a year.
:banana-gotpics:

(That is what this thread is missing...!!!)
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Jimmy_1 wrote:
I guess, yes, wasting my money to have the "latest and greatest" does befall me... :roll:

But those that enjoy going deeper in debt for rods and reels...that's your decisions and have at er!
It's a passion Jimmy, we're gear freaks....we love tackle! As simple as that.
Some love cars, some love bikes....we love Tackle! ;)
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

lape0019 wrote:On man,

That is a list of awesome reels that I "want".

Zonda 68
Lin 10 Meteor
Hyper Lariat
Aldebaran BFS

These are all reels I have been longing to even hold over the past year or two...

Unless I can find them used, none of them will ever happen. Well, maybe the BFS if I can get over no factory warranty or support 8-) 8-)
I'll most likely never own any of them....but I like to think I will one day. YOLO!
Seem's like a few companies are now bringing the JDM versions to the american market....Abu, Shimano....Megabass in a way.....now could Daiwa do the same PLS! :D

What I'm really curious about is the Micro gearing on both the Met and Antares.
Shimano claims the micro gearing is smoother, but would it make a difference in the long run without the X-Ship feature?

"X-Ship provides improved gear durability. By supporting the pinion gear on both ends with bearings, the pinion gear maintains precise alignment with the drive gear. This means the gears will stay in the same position under the heaviest loads. The added benefit is that friction between the spool shaft and gear are eliminated. This will enhance the casting performance of the reel with lighter lures, and allow for longer casts."

Interesting, nontheless (for us gear freaks) ;)

Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

cprince wrote:
Jimmy_1 wrote:Seeing as I catch several nickels a year.
:banana-gotpics:

(That is what this thread is missing...!!!)
Take a look at my gallery Craig....(not sure if they still exisit since the crash)
They have been posted.

Or I could post my pics of when I went to Lake X this summer 8)