Well, Shimano is winning me over again.

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Well, Shimano is winning me over again.

Post by TheMaverick »

Jimmy_1 wrote: So again. Apart from buying it because its the latest and greatest what benefit do you get? Because until someone can tell me why spending that much instead of less for a cheaper reel I will stand by my opinion it ain't worth it.
Reliability, durability and longevity are what I contemplate and reflect upon before purchasing a reel.

When fishing, to be flustered, hence mediocre arsenal, should be the least of any tournament angler's worries.
Therefore, higher end reels\rods are my parallel to a confidence builder and ease of mind that allows me to polish and refine my fishing techniques.

Higher end reels\rods, are most likely a company's more advanced product range as in "latest and greatest", thus loftier assembly components (Zaion, Carbon Fiber, Magnesium as mentioned in my previous post).

Alluding that the following examples originate from economical models may as well occur with higher end reels (odds are greatly reduced).

-Drag will not hold, slips or isn't smooth VS higher end models, Carbontex drag washers.
-Gears appear to be rough VS higher end models, Micro gearing
-Gears slip or skip upon retrieve (possible cause, damaged pinion gear) VS higher end models, X-Ship
-Cheap levelwinds fraying line VS higher end models, titanium.
-Heavy spools VS Lighter spools giving you better start up speed therefore better casting distance
-Aluminum\metal frame\side plate 9oz VS Magnesium 5.4oz

Consequently, predominant materials will alleviate your fishing experience as they will also improve your chances of landing that swamp donkey!

Fishing scenarios such as;
-Achieving longer distance casting will make a difference between spooking the fish and enticing a bite. (bearings, lighter spool)
-Jerking a 110 for extended periods of time on back to back tournament days. (weight, oz)
-Pulling out that Nickel from the rhubarb. (drag enhancements)
-Casting lighter finesse baits (breaking system)

Granted, the 500$ plateau isn't destined nor will it be justifiable to the simple minded weekend angler, you need to be a demented skirt wearing passionate to pull it off, but I highly recommend spending the extra dollar and staying above the 200$ mark.

FYI, this made me laugh....I like your style!
Jimmy_1 wrote: Simply Maverick
P.S. I also sold my Core a while back, didn't like the way it palmed, at least that's what the Bait Monkey told me to say. ;)
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Wow, 1278 views in 8 days. Lots of interest in the Shimano reels.
If this is an indication of things to come, Shimano will do very well with these reels.

Who knows, they might even start manufacturing Shimano skirts (For the fisherman who has everything).
Woven with carbon fibers as opposed to the cheap cotton fibers. This will make for a much lighter skirt.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Jason Daoust
Participant
Participant

Post by Jason Daoust »

Jimmy_1 wrote:
Just wondering if the $500 shimano reel will do something say a $200 Pflueger won't (example).
My Shimano Calais will cast a good 20 yards plus over my of Pfluger patriarch XT which I paid almost $300 for. My chronarch C14 will also cast way further and feels better in the hand. So without a doubt I'd spend money for quality :twisted:
Of all the liars in the world fishermen are the most trustworthy!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Jason Daoust wrote:
Jimmy_1 wrote:
Just wondering if the $500 shimano reel will do something say a $200 Pflueger won't (example).
My Shimano Calais will cast a good 20 yards plus over my of Pfluger patriarch XT which I paid almost $300 for. My chronarch C14 will also cast way further and feels better in the hand. So without a doubt I'd spend money for quality :twisted:
That's the true reel monkey talking!!! But I would agree. I love my patriarch xt though.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I am only a weekend fisherman but if I could afford a very highend reel I would buy some for sure. I tried a friend's Calais DC a few years back and I was amazed. I was also amazed at trying his Core that was setup on one of the new (2years ago) G-Loomis $550.00 rod and what a treat that was to fish with. I wish it would've been a lefty so I could've really enjoyed it more. I am sure that it would add at least 200-300 more casts per day than I do now because of the light weight of the set-up and my muscle issues. So is a $500.00 reel worth the money? You bet your butt it is. When I started using a baitcaster I bought 3 used reels, then I upgraded to Citicas, then to Curados. My next step up will probably be a few of the new Chronarchs and when I win the Loto Max, I'll have a Ranger Boat fully stocked with $500.00 reels mounted on $500.00 rods.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Wallyboss wrote:My next step up will probably be a few of the new Chronarchs
You won't be disappointed with the Chronarchs, one of the best casting reel I've held in a long time.....without thumbing the spool, as the frog hit the concrete, the reel wouldn't backlash even if I tried!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

O Jimmy, Jimmy! Where art thou Jimmy….I was looking forward to your reply.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thank you for responding that the better components will make your fishing experience more enjoyable.
The rod is more sensitive and the reel smoother and more reliable.

I get that point.

However, I guess when I said "Does your $500 reel guarantee you more and better fish than say this $200 reel" The answer is no.

On a side note, my Dad is a ph.d in Physics and ran the Military's testing lab for their equipment (failure analysis and more). Metals are his specialty and his doctorate thesis was written on them). So I guess, next time I am in the market for a reel I should ask him about claims about metal components and which metals are best. You know as we ask "pro's"
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Bottom line is this.

We all have indulges and to criticize someones choices of what to purchase is well I don't know what it is...but it is something else.

Jimmy,

You have a Harley. Does it get you from Point A to Point B better than a moped could? No. Same result. Sure it's cool and all but it's a mode of transportation. Same result from both. If I insisted on telling you that you are a fool to spend 20, 30, 40 plus thousand dollars on a mode of transportation that you can drive 6 months of the year in Canada would you like it???? I never would, it's none of my business what you do with your money and who am I to criticize that?!?!

And don't answer that Harleys are so much more than a bike and I don't understand, it's a mode of transportation at the end of the day.

You drink Starbucks. Why? Does that 4 dollar cup of coffee make your day that much better than a dollar cup from the corner store? Is it worth 4 times the price? No but you enjoy it, so buy it. Again I don't care, it's your money and far be it for me to tell you what to spend your money on.

RJ
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Jimmy_1 wrote: On a side note, my Dad is a ph.d in Physics and ran the Military's testing lab for their equipment (failure analysis and more). Metals are his specialty and his doctorate thesis was written on them). So I guess, next time I am in the market for a reel I should ask him about claims about metal components and which metals are best. You know as we ask "pro's"
Here’s my side note to you, if you need to be asking your dad about metal components before purchasing a reel, then you shouldn’t be replying in this thread!

My bottom line is, that you’re not even interested in reels or the knowledge that members have brought forward…but simply mocking the subject by insinuating that we are wasting our money.

In hopes these posts are pertinent to others (considering the views).

Suggestion to Mods, please consider a “Whine and Cheese” section on this forum!

The "Face palming" Maverick
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Actually Mav I am VERY interested in gear.

There is so much out there! Its tough to know how to maximize your value for money.

When I say I`d ask my Dad about metals used is because I would trust his opinion on the strength, durability and corrosion etc over some sales guy trying to sell me something new and flashy.

I also fail to see where at any point I mocked anyone?
If a comment was taken as me mocking I do apologize to the F-H Community.

I asked how does it catch me bigger and better fish?

An answer like

`Hey Jimmy, the gears on this reel are made of plastic. If you have a good fish making several runs it may reduce the gears to powder! But reel X for X has better components that should do the trick, but reel Y is la creme de la creme because it has better components than those in reel x and will stand up better for the following reasons`

I have also repeatedly said `Hey if buying gear for the sake of having the latest and greatest then fill yer boots..cool..awesome..` How that is an insult or mocking is beyond me :|
In fact sir, the only insults have been from yourself to me. Responding with sarcasm and floral words. Never really answering the question I asked till recently.
For which I thank you.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

I was sure the last post from RJ would have put an end to all this crap.
They must be using the copper tops ... cause it just keeps on going and going and going and going and going..........

I feel bad for Adam. All he wanted to do was tell us about how Shimano was winning him over.

Note to self: "Never start a thread about how I enjoy my Ranger Comanche Z118"
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

StarTzar wrote:I was sure the last post from RJ would have put an end to all this crap.
They must be using the copper tops ... cause it just keeps on going and going and going and going and going..........

I feel bad for Adam. All he wanted to do was tell us about how Shimano was winning him over.

It doesn't bother me at all Frank.

Your Ranger stinks compared to my Bass Tracker anyway... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jimmy,

I suggest you take a run down to Paddletales this weekend as it will be a fun time. I will be there some time during the day (Probably when the Turkey comes out). That Team gold speed spool is a deal and a half. I paid the full retail for it and it was worth it to me. There will also be very informed Pro staff who don't care if you buy anything there that you could talk to and get caught up on the latest and greatest. I talked to David Chong for a good 20 minutes about the advantages of a GLX at the last outing before buying my Pitching stick ( I bought a Dobyns by the way). Plus, who can argue with Fried turkey!!!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

StarTzar wrote:I was sure the last post from RJ would have put an end to all this crap.

Good info has been given, no doubt about that.
It's always a pleasure to share with local enthousiasts, but I'm thinking maybe TT is a more appropriate forum for gear....or Paddletales.

P.S. I loovvveeee Dobyns rods
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

lape0019 wrote:
Jimmy,

I suggest you take a run down to Paddletales this weekend as it will be a fun time. I will be there some time during the day (Probably when the Turkey comes out). That Team gold speed spool is a deal and a half. I paid the full retail for it and it was worth it to me. There will also be very informed Pro staff who don't care if you buy anything there that you could talk to and get caught up on the latest and greatest. I talked to David Chong for a good 20 minutes about the advantages of a GLX at the last outing before buying my Pitching stick ( I bought a Dobyns by the way). Plus, who can argue with Fried turkey!!!
As should everyone on this Forum....including Smitty! lo0ol
Sometimes typing words just don't convey as they should and might give out the wrong impressions.