Well, Shimano is winning me over again.

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Well, Shimano is winning me over again.

Post by Jimmy_1 »

My actual motorcycle preference is Indian.

I own a Harley through circumstance. I have owned other brands and liked and disliked many things about them.

As for coffee. I drink Starbucks over Tim's for many reasons.
Taste, Grade, Fair trade, Ethically sourced etc.

My point was not to tell people or berate them on their purchases.

It was just is the expense worth the return?
That was all.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Jimmy_1 wrote: My point was not to tell people or berate them on their purchases.

It was just is the expense worth the return?
That was all.
To me, Maverick, Biggs, Statzar, it is worth the extra costs. I get that not everyone will care or find it a worth while expense. But I do and My wife has no issues with it. I bought her a Pflueger lady trion this summer because she had to have the Pink rod... She uses my old school compre and a Stradic Ci4 instead because it is smoother, more sensitive, and lighter to fish with all day... The real struggle is getting the Misses on board and in my case, it was easy...
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote: It doesn't bother me at all Frank.

Your Ranger stinks compared to my Bass Tracker anyway... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jimmy,

I suggest you take a run down to Paddletales this weekend as it will be a fun time. I will be there some time during the day (Probably when the Turkey comes out). That Team gold speed spool is a deal and a half. I paid the full retail for it and it was worth it to me. There will also be very informed Pro staff who don't care if you buy anything there that you could talk to and get caught up on the latest and greatest. I talked to David Chong for a good 20 minutes about the advantages of a GLX at the last outing before buying my Pitching stick ( I bought a Dobyns by the way). Plus, who can argue with Fried turkey!!!
Ah.... OK....... I was going to offer you an open seat, in the Ranger, to fish the MS tourney next year with the Mav. 8)
But seeing as how it stinks, you can forget about that offer. :wink:

I'll miss the turkey this weekend. I can't make it out to the Cathedral before 7:00 p.m.
I'm hoping that Fryer Ed might save me a couple of turkey sandwiches.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

StarTzar wrote:Note to self: "Never start a thread about how I enjoy my Ranger Comanche Z118"
Start one about how everyone else wishes they owned a Ranger. Much more entertaining.
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

What,

Does Mav want a fighting chance at winning next yer that he wants to replace his partner? :P I wouldnt want to bring the ranger into the areas I fish anyway. You might scratch it.

All joking aside, you know your boat is worth every penny you paid for it. I could only dream of something like that at this point. A used z20 or z520 is probably in the plan in 5 or 6 years. But until then, my 190tx does almost everything I want it to to.

When the waves kick up on Franny, it is just not enough boat.

I plan on heading to Ed's around 11:00. It is a blessing and a curse living 10 minutes away.
Last edited by lape0019 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

beachburger wrote:
StarTzar wrote:Note to self: "Never start a thread about how I enjoy my Ranger Comanche Z118"
Start one about how everyone else wishes they owned a Ranger. Much more entertaining.
That's an awesome idea!!!! :lol:
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

lape0019 wrote:I suggest you take a run down to Paddletales this weekend as it will be a fun time. ... (Probably when the Turkey comes out). who can argue with Fried turkey!!!

I would crawl 25 miles on my hands and knees for some of that Turkey :wink:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

To bring closure to a highly diversified topic, I’d like to quote (with his given consent) a fishing Icon and Canadian legend, our one and only, Big Jim.

“Your bang on Marc!!!
Your purchasing something that is above and beyond lower priced reels from quality of material view and technology.
I have never had a failure of ANY TYPE from a high end SHIMANO product, then again if you treat your investment properly, failure in low end products will still be almost non existent.

When you actually use these reels is when you FEEL what you have purchased.
And as I mentioned, the chances of failure are virtually eliminated in my eyes.
Eliminating failure possibilities is huge to some anglers.

You really need to experience these products to see why anglers purchase them...

Something else is that when SHIMANO introduces a feature they generally introduce it on higher end products then work bit down through different levels...

Hope this helps.”

With that being said, I think both parties have brought forward valid opinions in regards to base model and high end reels. ;)
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Sure RJ :

So, I am wrong when I state most people have cash to spend on rods and reels in the $500+ range?
Hmmm.....
No kids maybe? Double dippers? Retiree's? Sponsored? :lol:
I highly doubt someone in their 30's and 40's, who raises a family, mortgage, car payments etc has that kind of disposable income...especially when the average house price is $300k and the average household salary is $90k....
Unless of course the kids have no extra-curriculars, you take the bus everywhere...which I doubt. Fact is most people live off of credit sadly. (Something I am glad I no longer do) and when thats the case fishing income isnt most people's priority.

My point is the average person does not have the money to consistently walk into a store and buy the latest and greatest with cash! Now if they do, and they get their $$ illegally well thats for the cops and CRA to sort :D
Wow 5 pages on why Jimmy_1 doesn't like expensive tackle!

to answer Jimmy_1's main question does it help catch bigger and better fish -> NO! it doesn't. You can lose a PB with a 30$ Shakespeare reel and a $30 rod or a $500 Reel and a $500 rod.

BUT it does make it less of a risk when your equipment is made from better materials : plastic versus brass/metal gears, High end rods that are designed for specific techniques, bait weights and line strength versus a Shakespeare tough stik.

As a ex ski racer, I can use any ski/boot (read this as cheap/beginner versus expensive/expert) and enjoy skiing while skiing most terrain (I hate bumps). Will I enjoy it more on high end equipment - absolutely. Using powder skiis in deep powder is much more enjoyable and easy than using slalom skiis (I have several pairs of skiis for different terrain and mountains). Skiing the trails around here are easier on better skiis than on low end models - but you have to work up to it. This means spending a lot of time on skiis , taking lessons and skiing on different brands and types. Once you have done this you will see the difference.

Same with rods and reels. I have built my own rods because I was not happy with I could buy. Now rod makers are making rods that are better that I could build. ( I like Dobyns right now). I started with cheaper reels and soon discovered I could cast better with better ($$) reels. I also lost less fish as I was able to feel the bite better.

When I read a post where someone questions the ethos of spending money and questioning where that money comes from,
I actually read: Gee wish I could.

Regardless of what moto you drive -harleys are not on my drool list, neither are Indians ( Motoguzzi's and other Italian bikes are cause I like their style even if they are unreliable), I will never question your choice - privately or publicly about why you spent money on it. I will ask you why a harley versus another style (crotch rocket). I will ask you why you like them.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Hi CN,

I have actually managed over the years to obtain some high end fishing gear whenever I have seen it come up for sale at a good price (usually used).

At this point in my life I could indeed go into a store and buy a new rod or reel and pay full retail but I can't justify it as a high priority on my list of required acquisitions. Right now its finding a good rocker chair that doesn't cost a mint as the Missus is the size of a RAM and certainly won't make it to her due date.

So ya, my fishing budget for this year was easily eaten by required baby items....been 9 years since I last needed that...but very much looking forward to having another rugrat around...

I digress...

You had asked why Harley's over speed bikes. Good question.

I do like the handling, braking and lighter weight of the GSX-R, R6 etc.
However, I like to ride long distances and my posture ain't the greatest (hereditary) and my back can't take the lean forward position for 10+ hours a day when I go on a long haul.

But I will be one of the 1st to say that Harley is from from #1 in quality!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

CN wrote:
Jimmy_1 wrote:Sure RJ :

So, I am wrong when I state most people have cash to spend on rods and reels in the $500+ range?
Hmmm.....
No kids maybe? Double dippers? Retiree's? Sponsored? :lol:
I highly doubt someone in their 30's and 40's, who raises a family, mortgage, car payments etc has that kind of disposable income...especially when the average house price is $300k and the average household salary is $90k....
Unless of course the kids have no extra-curriculars, you take the bus everywhere...which I doubt. Fact is most people live off of credit sadly. (Something I am glad I no longer do) and when thats the case fishing income isnt most people's priority.

My point is the average person does not have the money to consistently walk into a store and buy the latest and greatest with cash! Now if they do, and they get their $$ illegally well thats for the cops and CRA to sort :D
Wow 5 pages on why Jimmy_1 doesn't like expensive tackle!

Regardless of what moto you drive -harleys are not on my drool list, neither are Indians ( Motoguzzi's and other Italian bikes are cause I like their style even if they are unreliable), I will never question your choice - privately or publicly about why you spent money on it. I will ask you why a harley versus another style (crotch rocket). I will ask you why you like them.
It's not that he doesn't like expensive tackle, it's that he spent all his money on a Harley.
He's got no more disposable income left for the high end fishing equipment.

I really get a kick outta Jimmy when he says that fishing isn't on most people's priority.
He then goes on to insinuate that people who walk into stores to buy the latest and greatest with cash, that they probably came by this cash illegally. He does not really believe this but merely insinuates (with a funny reference to the cops and CRA) that it may be the case.

I know a few Harley owners that purchase the latest and greatest. All cash purchases.
Some were able to purchase their Harley's, outright, with cash.
Should we insinuate that they came by this cash in an illegal manner?
I think not.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
ah_long
Participant
Participant

Post by ah_long »

I have used the Metanium HG and XG for a full season already and I can say that it's a solid reel.

For those who don't want to pay CAD retail for it, they are readily available online for a cheaper price. But in exchange, you lose the dealer support and warranty.

The new Mets are some of the smoothest reels I have used, and trust me, I've used a lot! I was weary about the micro gears at first, but real world usage has proved those concerns unfounded.

In terms of spending $$ on high end reels, I believe $150 is the magical mark when there's a significant diminishing margin of return.

It's true that a lower end reel could fail in various areas, but usually once a reel steps above the $150 mark, any extra money that you pay for is refinement.

You can buy a Curado E or a Chonarch E series, swap the bearings to Hedgehog bearings and get yourself a very competent caster that would be right up there with the top dogs. The new Tatula is a bargain for the money as well, the tight tolerances, powerful drag, T-Wing cast control and low price point makes it a winner!

One thing that the guys don't mention is the resale value of higher end reels.. e.g. a Core MG could consistently fetch about $250~$280 on the used market but the same couldn't be said about Ardent reels.

Oh, and in response to the OP, I just sold pretty much most of my Daiwa's (Steez, Pixies, T3s, Ryoga) this year and will be going back to the Shimano Camp. This is not to say one brand is superior to another, it's just that the S brand has offerings that appeal to me more than the D brand at this point in time.

How can you resist this? it just looks so nice!

lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Ah_long,

Excellent post!!!

There are still a few Jdm reels I would like to see over here, but this is a great start. I was holding a Ch150 last night and it is just a work of art. I was not happy when they downgraded the Curado and Chronarch lineups so when the ch150 came out rave reviews, it was a step in the right direction. When they announced the Met and Antares were coming to our side of the pond, it put me over the top.

This is not to say the curado G or Chronarch E are bad reels. They just IMO are not as good at their predecessors.

Now if I could only get them to factory support the exsense dc and Aldebaran BFS....
ah_long
Participant
Participant

Post by ah_long »

lape0019 wrote:Ah_long,

Excellent post!!!

There are still a few Jdm reels I would like to see over here, but this is a great start. I was holding a Ch150 last night and it is just a work of art. I was not happy when they downgraded the Curado and Chronarch lineups so when the ch150 came out rave reviews, it was a step in the right direction. When they announced the Met and Antares were coming to our side of the pond, it put me over the top.

This is not to say the curado G or Chronarch E are bad reels. They just IMO are not as good at their predecessors.

Now if I could only get them to factory support the exsense dc and Aldebaran BFS....
What we are seeing is Shimano is beginning to employ a one brand global strategy which simplifies production. Reels were that not hard to source for those we are willing to go online an purchase. What I would really love to see is their vast line of JDM rods including the Poison Glorious!

Personally, I could care less about warranty on my reels as I perform all the maintenance and repair work myself. But rods are something that I would like to purchase from a local tackle shop to not only support their business but to also take advantage of dealer and manufacture support.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Well,

Just got back from paddletales and he had a Metanium rep model on display. Let me just say wow!

Nice looking reel that feels quite solid. I also checked out the revo rocket as well. It wasn't as Refined as the shimano reel I was playing with but it wasn't half bad.