Ask advice on buying a St. Croix Triumph Spinning Rod

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ask advice on buying a St. Croix Triumph Spinning Rod

Post by seahawk »

It seems this rod received a good review and in cheap price. I would like to use it for jigging walleye or bass using tube or Texas rigging, and I want sensitive feeling to feel the bottom structure and fish bite. Should I choose light, Medium light, or Medium, 6.6' or 7', one piece or two piece? I am thinking to team this rod with Lews Lew's Laser LS200a Speed Spin Spinning Reel that is also cheap and with good reviews. Any advice on my choices? Thanks.
nathan.barnard
Participant
Participant

Re: Ask advice on buying a St. Croix Triumph Spinning Rod

Post by nathan.barnard »

Seahawk,
I own a few St Croixs (Avid & Legend) but they are a dependable brand.

For what you're suggesting, 7 foot, 1 piece medium action for jigging / tube / texas rigging. I dont like using anything shorter for those applications.

I have an Avid 7 ft (2 piece because its my travel rod) and it is a great all purpose rod.

I've heard good things about Lews reels but haven't had experience.Just make sure the reel size is appropriate for the rod.

A caveat which might not be important, but St Croix is an absolutely pain to deal with from a warranty perspective. If you ever need to make a claim, you're better to go and buy a new rod.
toned
Participant
Participant

Re: Ask advice on buying a St. Croix Triumph Spinning Rod

Post by toned »

Nathan, when you say 'make sure the reel is sized appropriately' do you mean weight / balance wise or is there more to it then that?