Best Daiwa for Jerk Baits

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Best Daiwa for Jerk Baits

Post by StarTzar »

I'd like some feedback from owners of the T3 Daiwa reels.
I'll be purchasing 2 new reels this winter.
I want a frogging reel and a reel for jerk baits (mostly 110's).
The frogging reel will probably be a Chronarch CI4 or the Team Lew’s Gold Speed Spool (Ed has them on sale for $215).

I was looking at the Daiwa T3 (6.3:1) for jerk baits.
I know all about the Chronarch and the Lew's but have very limited information about the Daiwa.

More specifically, I'm looking for some input from those of you that own the Daiwa T3.
How does the reel handle, palming, weight, ease of tuning in different weights, braking.
What do you use it for, what ratio and what type of line? What rod is it paired with?
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Best Daiwa for Jerk Baits

Post by biggs »

I am thinking I might be the only one replying to this thread unless Jimmy has something awesome and helpful to add.
If you do decide on a T3, do yourself a favour and get a MX. I have a MX and a T3 1016 and I have owned a Ballistic. No offence to anyone here but the Magforce 3D braking system is the best braking system out there IMO. I used my 6.3-1 MX paired with a Megabass Rattleviper for jerkbaits (110's, 100 jr's, trick darters etc..) and topwaters (poppers, walk the dog, prop darters etc....) and I couldn't be happier. I really can't say enough about the T3 series, I personally love them. I wouldn't worry about the zaion material as I have never felt any kind of frame flex.
The T3 palms awesome, casts like NO OTHER, the braking system is phenomenal, its light (6.5ish oz) and IMO looks awesome which really shouldn't be a deciding factor but thought I'd add it.
If you get one and find you don't like it, you will have a buyer!
Oh yeah, I went with 20# 832 and then just tied either a mono or flouro leader on.

Not sure what else to add but if I think of something, I'll post again.
If I can get it into your hands sometime, I'll try and do that. Not sure I'm going to make it to Paddletales this weekend.

StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

I knew you were going to chime in.
The 3D magnaforce braking system is what got me interested in the Daiwa.
Why the MX? What is the difference between it and the regular T3?
Are they considered as being finesse type reels?

Not talking $$$ and Tools will keep Jimmy away.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

For the price the MX is without a doubt the best value. The MX is just so close to a 1016 that it really makes no sense to me at least to spend the extra on the 1016. I think really the only difference is the 1016 comes with a better spool (the 1016 spool), they both weigh about the same and I think have the same bearing count. I actually have the better 1016 spool in my MX, I have never tried the stock MX spool, I don't even have it anymore but I think its equivilent to the Ballistic spool which is no slouch.

I would imagine with the right rod it could compete well with other finesse type reels.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Biggs,

Is the Daiwa T3 SV 6.3R-TW the supertuned version of the MX?
Sure looks like it. From what I read.

http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa/Daiwa_T3_SV.htm
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

biggs wrote:For the price the MX is without a doubt the best value. The MX is just so close to a 1016 that it really makes no sense to me at least to spend the extra on the 1016. I think really the only difference is the 1016 comes with a better spool (the 1016 spool), they both weigh about the same and I think have the same bearing count. I actually have the better 1016 spool in my MX, I have never tried the stock MX spool, I don't even have it anymore but I think its equivilent to the Ballistic spool which is no slouch.

I would imagine with the right rod it could compete well with other finesse type reels.
OK now I understand. They have the MX on sale for $247
I should just order one before they go.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

I would say that its the supertuned version yes but not sure if its the supertuned version of the MX or 1016......I would just buy the MX and then buy the SV spool separate and save $100-$150. I though about the T3 SV but I am not sure I can drop that kind of cash on a reel yet!

Obviously, I ordered my MX from Japan (Japantackle). Shipping was $20 TOTAL, no duties etc......maybe it slipped through.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

biggs wrote:I would say that its the supertuned version yes but not sure if its the supertuned version of the MX or 1016......I would just buy the MX and then buy the SV spool separate and save $100-$150. I though about the T3 SV but I am not sure I can drop that kind of cash on a reel yet!

Obviously, I ordered my MX from Japan (Japantackle). Shipping was $20 TOTAL, no duties etc......maybe it slipped through.
I'm on the site now. I have the reel in the cart.
Will not be ready foe another week.
The spools will be ready in December.
I'll probably end up with the T3 MX and SV spool before Christmas.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Just as an FYI,

Tacklewarehouse has a t3 ballistic XS limited edition on sale for $248.88. Not sure what the regular price was but I thought I would let you know.

It looks really sweet but I still have not tried a daiwa so I can't comment on any of the performance.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

lape0019 wrote:Just as an FYI,

Tacklewarehouse has a t3 ballistic XS limited edition on sale for $248.88. Not sure what the regular price was but I thought I would let you know.

It looks really sweet but I still have not tried a daiwa so I can't comment on any of the performance.
Doesn't make sense to get the Ballistic when it costs more than the MX.
Regular was $299 for the fancy paint job.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

biggs wrote: If you do decide on a T3, do yourself a favour and get a MX.
Yes, Yes and Yes!
StarTzar wrote:
I'm on the site now. I have the reel in the cart.
Add some RCS cork knobs....just cause they look great!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

They have been on sale for the longest time.
The red and or yellow reels are difficult to sell.

I have only owned one Daiwa a long long time ago. (20 or so years ago). I had all kinds of problems with that reel.
The thumb bar broke while I was bringing in a Bass. 15 minutes later, it got heaved in one of the deeper sections of the Mighty Ottawa River.
At times when we reminisce, we still laugh at that one. I remember the exact spot where everything happened.

I'll give it another try.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Maverick,

Which Ratio would you suggest for the T3 MX?
What ratio were you using for Jerk Baits?
I was using 7.1:1 and I think that I was picking up the slack line too fast, thus the reason for getting a 6.3:1
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

StarTzar wrote:Maverick,

Which Ratio would you suggest for the T3 MX?
What ratio were you using for Jerk Baits?
I was using 7.1:1 and I think that I was picking up the slack line too fast, thus the reason for getting a 6.3:1
I know this question wasn't directed at me but I used a 8.1 and thought I was picking up slack too fast too. I like the 6.3 personally, I also was using an Alphas Type F which is 5.7 or 5.8 on my Flat Side Special mainly for crankbaits but when I did use it for jerkbaits, I also liked that. So 6.3 or less for me with 6.3 being ideal.

What jerkbaits are you guys using these days??
I wish I had seen the IMA Flits Ed had in his bin sooner, those things are KILLER! Lost the white last time out though......
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

biggs wrote:

Doesn't make sense to get the Ballistic when it costs more than the MX.
Regular was $299 for the fancy paint job.
Thanks for the info Biggs. I wasn't sure if it was worth it or not but figure to could add wha I could. I remember having a covert atom about the t3 when it first came out and you had me sold. I just haven't bit the bullet yet and with all of these new reels, it's hard I choose these days.