Rod VS Reel

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Rod VS Reel

Post by TheMaverick »

Do you allocate a paramount importance to either the rod, the reel, or equally to both?
As a result, is a designated application/technique a decisive factor?

Looking forward to your replies!

The"ambiguous"Maverick
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Rod VS Reel

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Rod

I like to get the best sensitivity out of a rod over the reel.

For me having a sensitive flipping stick is way more important than a reel.
Obviously I need to have a reel that won't birds nest easily and allows smooth drop into the pocket.

Sometime the largie is just nibbling on the jig and unless you can feel it the fish is lost.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

My concern is mostly on the rod but I spend about the same in both. There are cases where the ratio of the reel will be more important, but the sensitivity of a rod just seems to mean more to me. I don't stray too far from Dobyns for sensitivity though as I find them to be a great rod for the price.

And of course they way the two balance is a big deal to me. If any of you read my pitchin stick post, you will already know this.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Question.

Whatever happened to the coveted Carrot Sticks?

I seem to recall a few years ago they were really trying to take off and were on the $$ side.
Same with Kistler.

I bought a KLX and was MASSIVELY dissapointed with it.
I snapped a mojo

I have broken 3 loomis rods (tips).

So for you Dobyn's guys do they hold up against the wear and tear?
Warranty on them?

I am asking because my CT $39.99 Rapala combo (spooled with mono) has landed me quite a few lakers and gar with NO issues.
ALbeit it doesn't cast well and tends to spool up a lot.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

In regards to the Carrot sticks, it’s my understanding that CEC America has taken over the company, due to breakage issues and poor customer service, E21 has taken a major blow and have tarnished their name.

As for the Mojo rods, St-Croix has been a major player for quite some time, I have very little experience with the Mojo line up (used to fish mainly Avids).
Although his views are to be taken with a grain of salt due to the fact that he’s been struggling with his hook sets lately, Paul aka BassAddict would be the angler to ask.

The Dobyns rods have been very good to me for the past few years, everything from the array of selective technique specific rods to the outstanding craftsmanship have been up to par with my needs.
If not Garry himself, Richard his son, will respond to any of your concerns, requests, questions by email. That says a lot from a company.
The warranty is one of the best I’ve seen, as a tournament angler, depending on my tools is critical to a fruitful day, the 60$ no questions asked policy has its benefits to unfortunate circumstances.

As for rod VS reel, I will attribute as much importance to either one when using moving baits such as Crankbaits, topwater and jerkbaits, the rods action when using treble hooks and the spools capacity to hold more line are as equally important to these techniques.

The only scenario I would favor the rod would be for pitching and/or flipping.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I don't think I can say I spend $X on a rod vs $Y for a reel... but... I do spend about 75% of my time researching/holding/feeling/gathering feedback on rods, vs 25% on reels. To me, the Shimano reels just work and I can find one in the appropriate gear ratio and feature level within a few minutes. (Usually: Curado E series where possible, but the G series isn't bad for the price).
Dobyns rods have been nearly bulletproof for me, with one exception of a broken DX703C on a 1.5# fish in open water (NO cover). Called up Dobyns, they sent me to Ed @ Paddletales, and I was out the door with a new one the next day for $60. To me, this is MUCH better than having to saw off the handle, mail it to a place in Mississauga, wait two weeks for a replacement, etc...
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

curls wrote:I don't think I can say I spend $X on a rod vs $Y for a reel... but... I do spend about 75% of my time researching/holding/feeling/gathering feedback on rods, vs 25% on reels
Very good point ;)
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Well,

For a guy like me I jig or I wait..

Meaning for gar and carp I toss out and wait.For me the equipment isn't that important in that case (I do spend a lot on Thill glow in the dark bobbers).

I like a lot of back bone in a rod so I can set the hook good and hard (jigging)

I always lose bass on frogs and never ever caught much on cranks (except musky).
I'm not sure if thats me, the rod? But I don't attribute that to a reel.

For musky cranks I use a 6" G.Loomis with a Shimano Calcutta. (Reel was a gift).
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Any warranty that you can walk into a store, tell them you slammed it in a rod locker hand them $67.00, and walk out with a new rod is a good warranty to me. This is what happened to me last year and I have never had such an easy time replacing anything.

Dobyns makes good rods at a fair price. The warranty and customer service is what makes the biggest difference to me and is why I continue to buy Dobyns.

Your issues with frogs are normal. I have a frog rod and my hookup percentage is still around 60%. The splash doesn't necessarily mean they inhaled the bait. It pays to wait a few seconds to make sure they have it, but I am impatient.
Jason Daoust
Participant
Participant

Post by Jason Daoust »

I spend more time looking at a rod over a reel. I keep looking at the Dobyns rods but always end up with a loomis . I might have to try a Dobyns this year . They are reasonably priced and do have a better warranty
Of all the liars in the world fishermen are the most trustworthy!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Can you benefit more out of a 100$ rod then you can out of a 100$ reel :?:
With that being said, will a superior line (Fluoro, Braid) paired with an affordable rod, enhance it's sensitivity :?:
Are most debacles attributed to reels or rods :?:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

LOL!

I just wait for that glow bobber to start moving across the water, open my bail, light that smoke and wait......

I dunno.

I think there has to be a balance of line, reel and rod.

Line will sure help bring out the best in the rod's quality and feel. The reel will ensure dependability, casting and handle strain.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

For me, choosing a rod is simple. I buy Dobyns.
I own 8 of them and adding two more this season.

I purchased a lot of rods over the past 20/25 years and for me right now, Dobyns won me over.
They offer an excellent product, have after sales service and warranty that is the best on the market.

I'm working at replacing some of my reels. I bought a lot of those also.
I started with Shimano, switched over to round ABU reels, back to shimano, switched to Revo Premiers and today I have Lew's and ABU.
So far, I have been extremely happy with my Lew's reels and I still own some Abu Premiers Gen2
I purchased an ABU MGX and really am pleased with this reel.

I'd like to get a frogging reel and a jerk bait reel.
Not that I need them because I can do well with what I have now.
It's that I want to get two new reels.

I have noticed a big difference in the comfort level when fishing with the MGX.
If I'm going to toss a frog and or a jerk bait all day long, I'd like a rod and reel to be dependable, lightweight and strong.
I have mentioned before that my Cap Hit for reels was set at $300 but I'm tempted to bring that up to the $500 level.
(For those who wonder how I can pay for that ... I have a part time job; and those earnings are strictly for fishing equipment.)

It takes me a long time to decide because I do a lot of reading and research.
I usually ask a lot of questions to those that are using the products I'm interested in.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Jason Daoust wrote:I spend more time looking at a rod over a reel. I keep looking at the Dobyns rods but always end up with a loomis . I might have to try a Dobyns this year . They are reasonably priced and do have a better warranty
I looked at the NRX but hate that they don't have full cork grips.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Is Dobyn's only for bass?

Do they make rods for other species?

I wish someone would make a rod with good sensitivity for jigging down to 200ft!
Sometimes the lakers will light tap the falling lure and a quick stop/set might be all that's missing!