Some reel maintenance and bearing upgrade tutorials

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
ah_long
Participant
Participant

Some reel maintenance and bearing upgrade tutorials

Post by ah_long »

Here's my Youtube channel with a bunch of videos showing how to upgrade bearings on various reels and to take apart certain reels (there's also a few fishing vids in there as well)

The only thing I would say is, rather than Bocas, I find that Hedgehog bearings are superior and give better performance for the $. Hedgehog Alchemy oil is also a superior bearing oil to the lightning oil. The only downside is the Ultra Light oil from Hedgehog studios require more frequent top up to the bearings according to your individual usage.

As far as the bearing removal tool for Daiwa reels are concerned. Boca pliers work, but they lack control particularly on the removal step. Hedgehog spool pin removal tool is slower and you will need to use a piece of tape on the spool lip to prevent scratching the lip, but you get better control of process. The new tool from Hedgehog seem to have resolved this issue regarding the scratching of the spool lip.

Here's the channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ahlong/videos
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Some reel maintenance and bearing upgrade tutorials

Post by TheMaverick »

Very informative ;)

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!