Reels

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Reels

Post by cndbasshunter »

Chevy Champagne wrote:thems be some beautys for sure!
quick question for ya gear junkies
where do you order your carbon handles,cork knobs and bearings from?
I have a fleet of curado e7s i am thinking about sooping up :)
I get most of my stuff from Semper-Fi, tackle tour, and other online stores.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Chevy hawgtech has a decent handle with cork knobs, they have a new version out which is much more streamline then the previous model that others had complained about. There is also Hedgehog where you can order parts for your reels. You will be hard pressed to find a better price then hawgtech though.

I would think the Chronarch e7 handles would be the same as the Curados.
http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/page/32

https://www.hawgtech.com/category/hawg-handle
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
ah_long
Participant
Participant

Post by ah_long »

I would personally stay away from Semper-fi

If you want a handle that would take a beating, Hawg Tech is your best choice. My only gripe is the bland styling.
ah_long
Participant
Participant

Post by ah_long »

lape0019 wrote:First off,
If so, how do you like it? It is something I have been toying with buying lately, I just seem to like the stock colour better. And does the clear side plate flex at all?
In regards to the Alphas Ito, I would like to share some insights. I hope cndbasshunter won't mind

1. the finish will oxidize. It's not the end of the world, but it takes time to polish it out with a dremel and metal polish
2. The non handle side plate doesn't affect the flex of the reel. Graphite/Plastic side plates are common on many reels.
3. The lexan side plate is prone to yellowing and cracking.

If you want to purchase this reel, make sure you check the condition of the side plates and the clear nose piece. Don't worry too much about the oxidization!

Since it's an alphas platform, there's an abundance of parts for repair and mods. It's a very nice platform to be introduced to the Darkside!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

ah_long wrote:I would personally stay away from Semper-fi

If you want a handle that would take a beating, Hawg Tech is your best choice. My only gripe is the bland styling.
I ordered 8 of the hawgtech handles and they are built like a tanks. Just wish they weren't so bulky and switch to a normal retainer and nut.

I talked to Benson and his newer Semper-Fi stuff is better than his previous supplier. One thing good abt semper-fi is you can customize colors.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Ok I have a question also.

With all these after market reel part suppliers is it conceivable you can beef up an older or cheaper reel by buying better components?
Or is it just less expensive to buy the better reel to begin with?
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

Speaking of Alphas, they are fantastic little reels. The gear ratio can be a little slow for some techniques but you can change out the gear set from the PX-R which will fit no problem, I put the 6.8 gears into my Purple Alphas. I was going to switch out the handle on my Type-F Alphas but I actually like the look of the stock handle with corks.

cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

biggs wrote:Speaking of Alphas, they are fantastic little reels. The gear ratio can be a little slow for some techniques but you can change out the gear set from the PX-R which will fit no problem, I put the 6.8 gears into my Purple Alphas. I was going to switch out the handle on my Type-F Alphas but I actually like the look of the stock handle with corks.

I installed most of the PX-R parts in my Alphas too. You can get them from Tackle Trap.

Here is what i did to the Alphas...
6.8:1 gears, worm shaft, line guide, cast control, drag, bearings, drag star, and handle/knobs.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Ok I have a question also.

With all these after market reel part suppliers is it conceivable you can beef up an older or cheaper reel by buying better components?
Or is it just less expensive to buy the better reel to begin with?
i wouldnt call it beef up, i would call it performance increase. The best two upgrades for performance are bearings and carbontex drag. Not all reels needs this, the stock drag on the Steez EX is great as is, so are the Abu reels. As for bearings, some stock reels like the PX-R and Abu Premier are pretty damn good as is. Most other changes are cosmetics only. If you want to further increase the performance you can look into spools that can allow you to cast lighter lures.
ah_long
Participant
Participant

Post by ah_long »

In regards to bearings, I find that the Hedgehog Air bearings give a more significant increase to performance over Bocas.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

ah_long wrote:In regards to bearings, I find that the Hedgehog Air bearings give a more significant increase to performance over Bocas.
I tried the ZR bearings and like them, more quiet compared to OS but not sure abt performance as i've only put them in my TD-Z for a month. Want to try the AIR but they are double the price! LOL....
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

After four years of use, I upgraded the bearings in my Gen 2 ABU premiers. I used BOCA orange seal bearings.
There was a very slight difference in performance.
The bearings that are in the ABU premiers must be very good quality.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

cndbasshunter wrote:
I tried the ZR bearings and like them, more quiet compared to OS but not sure abt performance as i've only put them in my TD-Z for a month. Want to try the AIR but they are double the price! LOL....
Gear head sarcasm. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I put orange seals in a revo s and noticed a difference. It takes a able lot less for ego get the spool moving.

The best performance upgrade you can do is the spool bearings. After that, the next best thing is a good cleaning and light re-lube. Tht factory cakes the reels full of grease where it doesn't need to be so if done properly, you should see a big difference.

There are a lot of articles about super tuning as well which is basically polishing areas to reduce friction. A lot of people say it is worth it, I just have never done it.

Adam