Shimano Core MG7

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
nathan.barnard
Participant
Participant

Shimano Core MG7

Post by nathan.barnard »

Hi everyone,
I posted a while back about the Chronarch Ci4 for a new baitcaster. I was all set to buy it and then I won a giant gift card from work and suddenly started reconsidering my options in light of more money to spend.

Has anyone used the Shimano Core MG7? I'm going to pair it with a G Loomis Bronze Back (6'9 MH, Fast action).

How does it fair against the Daiwaz Steelz? Given that both reels are the upper echelon of the bait casting line up, I'm curious to hear feedback from the community.

Thanks!
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Shimano Core MG7

Post by biggs »

The Core is much more 'tame' than the Steez IMO. I don't own either (yet) but I have used both.
Are you experienced with baitcasters?? If you are not the Core is the reel to go with.

I might be a little bias as I prefer Daiwa over Shimano.

Just remember neither of these reels will guarentee a 5lbs bass!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Battle of the giants!
And if I might add, a fun dilemma to be faced with!

I had a Core and simply didn’t like it, personal preference only as it performed flawlessly.
With that being said, I’d like to eventually get my hands on a Steez.

What are your preferences when it comes to breaking systems? lbs per drag? Ratio?

I don’t think you can go wrong with either of those reels.
Looking forward to the replies!

biggs wrote:
Just remember neither of these reels will guarentee a 5lbs bass!
:lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
nathan.barnard
Participant
Participant

Post by nathan.barnard »

Biggs,
I have a pair of Shimano Curado 201Es from a few years back before Shimano ruined the curado. I've used them extensively so I'm extremely comfortable with a baitcaster. This purchase is strictly for indulgence with very little limits on the budget.

I tend to lean more toward Shimano but I'm always open to listening to alternatives.

And as an FYI, all my 5lb bass have come on spinning gear :D
nathan.barnard
Participant
Participant

Post by nathan.barnard »

What are your preferences when it comes to breaking systems? lbs per drag? Ratio?
Don't really have a preference on the breaking system.

lbs per drag in my opinion should be at least in the 8-12 range.

Faster ratio for this reel (probably 7:0:1). My curados are 6:2:1 so I'm looking to up it just a bit. Nothing too crazy.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

nathan.barnard wrote:My curados are 6:2:1 so I'm looking to up it just a bit
How is that possible when you wrote this........
nathan.barnard wrote:have a pair of Shimano Curado 201Es from a few years back before Shimano ruined the curado
The E's never came in a 6.2:1. Only 5.1 and 7.1.

I didn't like the Core either but also just personal preference.
The Steez is a completely different animal than the CU-E's, the Steez can really bite you if your not careful they definitely are not as user friendly as the Core's or Shimano's in general IMO.

Anyway, best of luck with your choice and like Mav said you really can't go wrong with either.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

i have owned a few of both and i prefer the steez over the core. I have no issues if tuned the setup properly. Smoother, more refined, and feels more solid.

Is it worth $600, NO. Depending on the use of the combo i'd look at a PX-R or Met for a cheaper price.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Then invest in more spinning gear if thats what gets you the 5lb bass! :lol:
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I have the core 100mgfv which is essentially the same as the mg7 with a flipping switch.

I have no issues with this reel and would buy another one in a heartbeat. They are pretty smooth (not much more so than a 200e7 though), fit comfortably in my hand, and casts quite well. It is also quite easy to set up as I do not think I have had a single birds nest.

I have never used a steez but I really would not compare the two. They are both made out of magnesium, but that is basically where the similarities end. The steez is also $200 more than the core so that really doesn't help matters either.

I would suggest the steez only because you can afford it but the enthusiast in me says buy both!

Adam
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

I can't comment on the Steez because I never tried it, but I sure would like to own one.
However, I did have a Core 100 and it was a fantastic reel. Very smooth and solid.
I sold it as I did not like the feel of that reel. I prefer how the Lew's palm. Matter of preference here.

I did try the Chronarch CI4 and it is a great reel. I could see myself owning one.
This past weekend, I tried the feel of a Core 50 on an NRX.
I liked it much better than the Core 100. It is closer in size to the Revo MGX which I have and like.

I'm partial to ABU Garcia. Have a look at the REVO MGXtreme. 8)
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
nathan.barnard
Participant
Participant

Post by nathan.barnard »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have a bit more to think about now with all the input.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

lape0019 wrote:
I have no issues with this reel and would buy another one in a heartbeat. They are pretty smooth (not much more so than a 200e7 though), fit comfortably in my hand, and casts quite well. It is also quite easy to set up as I do not think I have had a single birds nest.

Adam
You are a Birds Nest Machine!!! But that being said, I don't think I've seen you with a birds nest on that reel.

Personally i'm a Lews guy, but the few casts I've had tried with the core I was impressed.
- Rick Ozga
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

nathan.barnard wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have a bit more to think about now with all the input.
Curious to know what you ended up getting!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!