rod to pair with my corvalus

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

rod to pair with my corvalus

Post by crwalker1987 »

Hey guys,

Just bought myself a corvalus 300 as i caught my first muskie this year and plan on catching more! I caught the first one on a shimano sahara 2500 and a 6'2" med/hvy so the corvalus should be a little better for this haha! Anyways I'm looking to find an inexpensive rod to get started with. I was thinking of getting a 6'6" ugly stik, heavy action and pairing that with the corvalus. Any thoughts? Also what are some must have musky lures as I need to get some as well as a net. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: rod to pair with my corvalus

Post by toobinator »

That 6'6" Ugly Stick will be a bass action and as such too soft for a musky setup. I would recommend something in the 7'6" length or longer in a medium heavy musky action. This rod will be stiffer than the heavy action ugly stick.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

Post by crwalker1987 »

Anything decent around $75??
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

be careful when buying a cheap musky rod, I snapped 2 from just casting lures. :x save up and spend a little more. you should be able to find something decent under $150
- Rick Ozga
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Shop around and get what you can afford. I have a heavy Berkley lightning rod and a heavy Fenwick hmx that have boated me alot of muskies and they were definitely under 80$ when I bought them. At the time it was all I could afford. Spend as much as you can at the time... if you spend too much you will just be trying to sell it on here after a years use to get your money back.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I have a couple of Shimano Compre musky rods on sale for $100.00 (reg $149.95). The next cheapest would be $124.95 other than a Fenwick Elitetech musky trolling rod which is $87.95.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken