Zayta

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Zayta

Post by TheMaverick »

For the Dobyns enthousiastes…

Bass fishing media outlets have been a buzz about the release date of the new Dobyns Zayta Series Rods. These rods are the most sensitive and well balanced rods developed and bass tournament anglers coast to coast are anxiously awaiting their arrival. At the recent Dobyns Rods Staff Rally on Lake Fork, I cornered Gary Dobyns and was able to ask him a few questions about the much awaited Zayta Series Dobyns Rod. My first question was the obvious – when? This answer was not as short.

“After a lot of work and fine tuning the Zayta Series, we hit a major road block. The prototypes are done, rods are ordered, material bought and, as many of you know, we were using some “nano resin” material in this rod series. Well, the rights to the material were “acquired” by another company. I decided to hold off on the Zaytas. With no more material being available to us, I’d have to discontinue them in less than a year. I’m committed to making this series of rods. We are developing our own special materials. With these types of high end materials, it takes some time to learn all the do’s and don’ts and the characteristics of the materials. If our testing continues to show this material to be all we think it is; we’ll have our Zayta Series. I know we’ll have a few stones thrown at us, but this is 100% true and researchable. I’m not happy about this mainly because the fisherman side of me wanted them badly!!”

You could see the frustration and excitement all at the same time. While Gary is outwardly disappointed that the Zayta Series will not be available this year; he is extremely excited about the materials he is now working with. When the Zayta Series rod is complete, it will be an amazing piece of bass fishing equipment; Gary Dobyns will have nothing less. So for now, we are going to have to wait a little longer.”
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Zayta

Post by TheMaverick »

More info in regards to "the rights to the material"....Jarden aka Pure Fishing.

ST. PAUL, Minn. – Sept. 4, 2013 – Following on its recent announcements relating to Scientific Anglers and Ross Reels, the 3M Company has announced that it is strategically aligning with Jarden Corporation, a leading provider of a diverse range of consumer products including sporting goods, to commercialize the PowerluxTM brand composite technology for sporting goods.

"We are excited to align with Jarden, home of such sporting goods brands as Abu Garcia, Berkley, Coleman, ExOfficio, K2, Marmot, Miken, PENN, Rawlings, Shakespeare, Ugly Stik, Volkl, and many more," says Vic Genco, Director, 3M Engineered Products and Solutions. "With their broad and direct presence in multiple sporting good markets, we believe they are well positioned to expand the use of 3M's Matrix Resin Technology into other sporting goods applications."

As a result of the agreement, 3M will work exclusively with Jarden to commercialize the 3M Matrix Resin Technology for sporting goods applications.

Outside of sporting goods, 3M will remain focused on furthering the broad advancement of its Matrix Resin Technology, which is already being used in many other diverse applications ranging from carbon fiber tools to compressed natural gas tanks (CNG).
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thank Mav,

I need something "extra" sensitive for pitching and jigging.
I tend to not feel the light bites and miss a ton of fish this way.

Thanks for posting.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

It's a shame that they went so far with this resin and had to stop...

This has an impact on the NRX as well but apparantly they had tested some other resins and have already switched over to it.

I say good on Jarden for cornering the market. I am not too impressed with 3M though. Letting everyone use it for a few years and then selling the rights off to a single company isn't cool in my books. Either this was their plan from the start which would drive me nuts, or Jarden offered them a mint.

I guess I will just have to buy another Dobyns extreme before the Zayta comes out.

Jimmy,

Conisdering this rod will retail around $500-$600, I don't think you will be rushing out to buy one when they do come out. This is to go up against the likes of the NRX. The amount of people that will be willing to buy this rod will be minimal but it will be a nice stick when it comes out.

Adam
Last edited by lape0019 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Oh ok......

Is there any jigging rod that does offer really good sensitivity? That isn't the equivalent of a mortgage payment?
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

lape0019 wrote:
I say good on Jarden for cornering the market. I am not too impressed with 3M though. Letting everyone use it for a few years and then selling the rights off to a single company isn't cool in my books. Either this was their plan from the start which would drive me nuts, or Jarden offered them a mint.
I'm not sure if rods are a prominent margin in order for 3M to solely work with Jarden. The income might be in other products.

It does kinda suck that Dobyns had this swept from under their feet, but you'd think they would of planed ahead?
Loomis, Shimano seemed to have adjusted accordingly.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

It sounds like it is strictly for sporting goods. Although rods would fall into that category, I agree there will be more money made in other areas as well. It is just an added bonus to Jardan that they are the only one with the rights to it. I think you may see a better rods coming out of Abu and other subsidiaries of Jardon in the coming year or two.

Jimmy,

What are you using for jigging now and what it you price range? It might be a better idea to start another thread though...
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

I'm using an old discarded shaft of a Sherwood hockey stick. It's old and heavy (wood stick). :shock:
I was thinking of getting a composite hockey shaft. Much lighter but still very expensive (even without the blade). 8)
I've been searching the for sale listings all over the internet but can't find anything used in my price range (free - $10). :wink:
So if you know of anyone that has a scratched up composite hockey shaft and want to get rid of it, they can contact me here. :o

Speaking of shafts, and to tie it in with the subject at hand, that's what 3M gave Gary Dobyns "A shaft". :handgestures-thumbdown:
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Dobyns had been promised supply after the sale. After the deal closed, Jarden said oh, we meant for only 1 year. This straight from Gary Dobyns.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Thanks for the info Ed.

Do you know if that means he will continue pushing forward with the 3m nano resin or create his own as he is quoted saying in the statement?

Adam
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

toobinator wrote:Dobyns had been promised supply after the sale. After the deal closed, Jarden said oh, we meant for only 1 year. This straight from Gary Dobyns.

Ed
So Jarden got greedy!

As the Ol' saying goes....."An 8.98 just ain't no 9 pounder"
Llo000o00oool I'm kidding Ed! ;)
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

He's working with other companies on his own product.

it was a 9 I tell ya, yeah, a 9 1/2
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

toobinator wrote:
it was a 9 I tell ya, yeah, a 9 1/2
Typical fisherman :D

Either way Ed, it's a nice looking fish that I could only dream of catching out here.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Hey Adam

I was looking between $180-$250 (max)
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Jimmy_1 wrote:Hey Adam

I was looking between $180-$250 (max)
At the top of your price point, I would look at the 4 or 5 power Dobyns champion. I have the 734 as my spinnerbait stick and it has doubled as a pitchin stick and it is very capable. I think it might be $10.00 over your max budget though. The 704/705 would be in your price point though and are very capable as well. My buddy has 2 705's and loves them.he also has a 736 for heavier applications.

I would not recommend a Savvy because although I love mine, I have read that there are more sensitive sticks on the market for that price. Just being honest here. The one thing it does have going for it though is the Dobyns warranty. I don't think you can beat that .

If you want to try something different, 13 fishing gets awesome reviews for the price. The omen is under your budget but if you look at their reviews, they seem to have quite the following. I have never used this product, but the reviews speak for themselves. The Envy is priced around the Champion rods and get mixed reviews basically because of the use if recoil guides. I personally don't like those guides, but again, the reviews of the people who like them, state they are a good stick. The reason I suggest this stick, is because of what it is being compared to on tackletour and other sites. Do some research and you will see what I mean. I tend to stay with what I like so any rod that comes I to my house will have Dobyns on the blank.

I am also sure you could find a used cumura here in the spring for that price as well or be satisfied with a new crucial. I just don't like paying that much money for alconite guides (cumura).

Adam