Minnow and Nightcrawler rigs

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Minnow and Nightcrawler rigs

Post by GuinnessGuy »

HI,

I tie my own rigs for walleye, and use 14lb mono to do so. I have a whole bunch (at least 40-50) that I tied last winter, in ziplock bags.

What is the going opinion on the reliability of the mono, after a year? I'd hate to have to re-tie them all, but I also don't want to lose a 2lb fish walleye because the mono is compromised by time and not usage.

Cheers

GuinnessGuy
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Minnow and Nightcrawler rigs

Post by zippyfx »

If it has been kept out of the elements and out of the sun the mono should last for many years.

I would hazard a guess and say even light to moderate use should have little effect.
GuinnessGuy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GuinnessGuy »

Oh good! I'll have enough just tying new ones in the most-successful colors. I really didn't want to re-tie all those.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

That is hilarious and I wouldn't want to retie them either!

I would agree with zippy. If it is out of the elements and hasn't been used, it will be fine. I have a couple spools of mono that are a couple years old and have not given me any trouble yet.