Pflueger patriarch

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

Pflueger patriarch

Post by crwalker1987 »

So I'm down in the states right now and went to cabelas to look and ended up buying a patriarch, it was reg 199 and I scored it for $109. Anyone have any thoughts? It's seems super smooth and bearings seem to spin forever. Have a good one.

Cheers

Chris
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (46.47 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Pflueger patriarch

Post by lape0019 »

I don't think you could have gotten a better reel for that price. It is on sale because they came out with a new model this year but that model is a sick reel.

The dual breaking (centrifugal and magnetic) allow you to really dial in the amount of brake you need and it casts great.

I have the xt version. It is essentially the same reel with a few less bearings, carbon handle and foam knobs. Still by far my most favourite reel.

The only word of caution is to make sure that the screw that goes through the body to hold the sideplate on should be either tightened down or checked frequently. The screw can sometimes loosen up so keeping an eye on it is a good idea.

The downside to this reel for you is that you will more than likely never want to buy a cheap reel ever again!!! I am sure you will be satisfied with that deal.
Congrats on a great purchase!
Adam
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

Post by crwalker1987 »

sweet thats good news, how many brakes do you recommend me leaving out? Im still pretty novice to this? all 6 are out now should i just leave it that way?
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

The nice thing is you can make quick changes with the mag brakes.

I would recommend starting with 3 on 3 off and the mag brake set to 10. If you leave all 6 on, you won't get much distance at all.

The xt is what I learned on and I started with 3 brakes on and the mag brake at 10. When I got used to that, I slowly reduced the mag brakes until it was at 1 or 2. Once I was comfortable with that, I changed the centrifugal brakes to 2 and the mag brakes to 3 or 4 and that is basically where it has been since. If I need more brake, I just crank the mag brake to make adjustments.

I also set the spool tension knob to the point where the spool had little side to side play.

No matter what you do, take your time and be patient. I still birds nest from time to time, but the precision offered by a bait caster is well worth a birds nest now and again.

Adam.
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

Post by crwalker1987 »

all good info here, any idea of a good line to put on it? I currently have a brand new spool of 20lb power pro but i was going to use that on a spinning reel. most people usually use heavier braid dont they?
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Keep the 20 pound power pro for your spinning reel.

It will work on bait casters but my personal opinion is that you will have more problems than it is worth. Because it is the equivalent of about 6 lb mono, when you set the hook, it tends to dig into the spool and create some Nasty birds nests. I would recommend nothing less than 30 pound but the thicker the line, the less chance of it digging in. I have a few friends who use 30 pound braid with very few issues.

It also depends on what you are planning on using the reel for as well. I use 65 power pro for flipping and pitching and frogs. I used fluorocarbon for jerk baits this year, but plan on switching to 30 lb power pro with a flora leader for jerk baits. I think I might use the same for plastics but I have to buy the reel first before making that decision.
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

Post by crwalker1987 »

Ok I will probobly grab some 40 lb for it so i'm right in the middle. I'm not 100% sure what i will use it for, it will probobly be more of a multi purpose setup for now. I dont have a boat so i'm doing alot of shore fishing and it will nice to throw some heavier braid when the weeds get bad. i will try some flipping and pitching this year with it and see how that goes. also plan on tackling drop shot fishing this year as ive never tried it before. I have a browning ML rod with a symetre and 8lb sunline flouro ready to rock.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Sounds like you have it figured out pretty good. You have probably seen it on here before, but make sure to use some mono as backing in that reel. If you tie direct with braid, it will slip on the reel. Use a cheap mono until the middle of the spool is covered and then attach the braid to that. I use a uni to uni knot for it but there are other knots that work fine as well. Other people have wrapped the spool with electrical tape for the added grip. I haven't tried it, but it also seems to get rid if the slip associated with braided lines.

Adam
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

crwalker1987 wrote:So I'm down in the states right now and went to cabelas to look and ended up buying a patriarch, it was reg 199 and I scored it for $109. Anyone have any thoughts? It's seems super smooth and bearings seem to spin forever. Have a good one.

Cheers

Chris
That is on sweet deal. Everything I read about these reels has always been positive.
No one ever seems to complain.

You pair that with the information you get from Adam and the deal gets even better.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Hey! Sweet deal!

I actually have 2 of these myself and I feel that apart from the casting distance (which is likely 100% me) they are a solid reel and never let me down.
Mike_D
Participant
Participant

Post by Mike_D »

I have one of the 2nd generation patriarchs myself and have enjoyed it very much. The pic you posted is of the original (gen 1 model). Gen 2 is slightly different with a bent handle. Now the new for 2014 patriarchs are blue (specifically to match the fenwick aetos rods).

I have several pfluegers and have been happy with all of them. The best ones I have used to date are the older XT version. I currently own 4 and I might buy a 5th from BBC boards. They are that good.

mike D