Buying rods from the states

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Buying rods from the states

Post by drake691 »

Has anyone bought any? I got burned by UPS($175) for 2 7ft rods. I saw American Legacy is having a huge Dobyns sale and has the Coalition line on clearance. They offer free ground shipping but I'm thinking there will still be a large duties bill. I just wish we could have the sales they are right now. If you get there newsletter they have 15% off Dobyns rods
LouisD33
Participant
Participant

Re: Buying rods from the states

Post by LouisD33 »

Just have them shipped to the Ship It shop in Massena Ny.
Then just pay the tax at the border.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

UPS seems to bend you over when crossing the border. I have never gotten charged any duties or brokerage from USPS. Ground shipping will more than likely be through USPS.

As stated above, using one of the shipping spots in Massena. We used "my US address" and it costs $5.00. The duties and taxes on over $500.00 worth of stuff was about $60.00.

Adam
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by drake691 »

I'm in Peterborough,sadly. So I can't go and set up a US mailbox. I'm a International Trade student here and I wish I could do the paperwork lol. I also wish they would use DSL, it's the cheapest
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

My buddy gets things shipped to the UPS store in Ogdensburg; No PO box needed. They just hold it for you. Apparently they get annoyed if you get 4 tires shipped there but they should be able to handle rodds.

I have had rodds and other orders shipped from cabellas and Bass pro and only got dinged $3.50.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Never had any problems with shipping costs.
I buy all my Dobyns rods in the State of Winchester. 8)
I call in my order, they set them aside for me.
I usually get an e-mail confirmation when the order is ready.
I drive down there to pick them up. :wink:
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
nathan.barnard
Participant
Participant

Post by nathan.barnard »

Drake, if you're going to order rods from the states I would recommend Bass Pro. They factor all the shipping up front and never once have I been burned with additional charges.

Like others have said, call Ed at Paddletales if you want a reliable and local option. I ordered a Loomis from him last year and it was seamless.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

I had the same idea you did, American Legacy Fishing offers free shipping to Canada.I got two Champion Extremes on ALF's Black Friday sale, to my door for $202.xx each. I was also worried about duties, they shipped the rods via Fed Ex and to my surprise I didn't have to pay a penny when they got to my door 4 days later. Now I have heard from others about getting a bill in the mail a little down the road but it's been two weeks and i still have yet to receive anything from them yet....
Last edited by BradGuenette on Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I am lucky.

I have US relatives and whenever there is something I need or want they bring it up (I have to pay them of course).
My folks spend most winters in Florida so they also get choice stuff down there.

SO no duties. But I don't get it the next week.
Last edited by Jimmy_1 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Just to be clear, "My US Address" is the name of the company. They email you when your package comes in and will hold it for 365 days unlike the UPS store. A lot of people have started using this company instead of the UPS store because it is generally cheaper than the UPS store.

Paperwork is minimal and you can do it online.
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by drake691 »

I ordered some Dobyns gear from American League fishing and choose the free shipping option and was charged nothing. I wish the dollar was better because they have all the Coalition rods on clearance for $140 and free shipping
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

BradGuenette wrote:I had the same idea you did, American Legacy Fishing offers free shipping to Canada.I got two Champion Extremes on ALF's Black Friday sale, to my door for $202.xx each. I was also worried about duties, they shipped the rods via Fed Ex and to my surprise I didn't have to pay a penny when they got to my door 4 days later. Now I have heard from others about getting a bill in the mail a little down the road but it's been two weeks and i still have yet to receive anything from them yet....
I received my extra "duty" fee from FedEx a few months after I received the order. It took me awhile to figure out which package it was as I had a few deliveries from US companies but only one sent it via Fed Ex. I called FedEx to see if it was legit and not a scam.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

CrazyCanuck wrote:
BradGuenette wrote:I had the same idea you did, American Legacy Fishing offers free shipping to Canada.I got two Champion Extremes on ALF's Black Friday sale, to my door for $202.xx each. I was also worried about duties, they shipped the rods via Fed Ex and to my surprise I didn't have to pay a penny when they got to my door 4 days later. Now I have heard from others about getting a bill in the mail a little down the road but it's been two weeks and i still have yet to receive anything from them yet....
I received my extra "duty" fee from FedEx a few months after I received the order. It took me awhile to figure out which package it was as I had a few deliveries from US companies but only one sent it via Fed Ex. I called FedEx to see if it was legit and not a scam.

I just got my "duty fee" envelope in the mail from FedEx a couple of weeks ago in the mail and to my surprise it read 0.00. I got charged nothing for two Champ Extremes.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada