13 fishing's new Concept baitcast reels.

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

13 fishing's new Concept baitcast reels.

Post by lape0019 »

I read the Tackletour mini review or intro on 13 fishing's new Concept lp baitcast reels and was wondering what the thoughts are here?

For those who have not read or seen the article, here is a link.

http://www.tackletour.com/preview13fish ... reels.html

My personal opinion is that this is an aggressive attempt to get into the reel market. The prices seem reasonable considering what these reels are made out of, but I think they will be a hard sell until more people get their hands on them.
I am in the market for a new reel, but will more than likely stay with 1 of the big 3 (I am actually considering a Daiwa for the first time thanks in part to a wicked sale on T3's and some information from a couple of board members...)

Adam
Last edited by lape0019 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: 13 fishing's new Concept baitcast reels.

Post by TheMaverick »

Price point might be a little on the high side considering they're introducing a line of reels in an already very diversified market with proven products/reels.

Components are interesting....but I still think they're approach is to agresive. The latest trend seem's to be entry level prices while maximizing the features. Not sure the Concept A will be standing tall next to it's competition.

Come again! $430 for a KP....outch! I only see aesthetics, I don't see a proven product.

"It just doesn't seem possible to me for a start up company to have the capital to purchase the type of machining, tools, engineering experience etc, necessary to produce that level of quality."
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

TheMaverick wrote:Price point might be a little on the high side considering they're introducing a line of reels in an already very diversified market with proven products/reels.

Components are interesting....but I still think they're approach is to agresive. The latest trend seem's to be entry level prices while maximizing the features. Not sure the Concept A will be standing tall next to it's competition.

Come again! $430 for a KP....outch! I only see aesthetics, I don't see a proven product.

"It just doesn't seem possible to me for a start up company to have the capital to purchase the type of machining, tools, engineering experience etc, necessary to produce that level of quality."
i'm thinking in the same line as ardent.....
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I know reels are WAY more complicated than rods... but if their reels perform as well as their Omen rods on a price:performance ratio, that Concept A reel will fish in the $250-$300 pricepoint.

I have been extremely happy with my two Omen Black rods. They were purchased for $90 and $105 (on sale from $120 and $135 repectively). They fish every bit as good as any other rod I've fished in the sub-$250 pricepoint. My 7'1" MH Omen Black fishes nearly as nicely as my Dobyns DX703C. Yes, I said it. And it's 1/3 the price.

I really like the approach 13 Fishing is taking in this cutthroat industry. They're agressive, they're modern, and they're not afraid to take a lot of chances to get their name known. Hopefully for them and for the weekend warrior, their Concept reels do perform at the same price:performance ratio as their line of rods.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

If I do ever end up buying one of these reels, I don't think I would be starting with a KP. Having said that, $430 for a reel that weighs in at 5 oz is somewhat of the average price. Yes you are in the Core/Steez arena at this price point which is stiff competition, but if it is done right, I could see it working for them. The red color is definitely a wild choice that helps it stand out. And those knobs of the Concept A look pretty awesome as well.

Since these don't actually come out until March, I guess we have some time to talk about them. Hopefully they are as good as they look.

Curls,

Thanks for the input! I hadn't looked at it that way at all. I have not used an Omen or Envy rod, but they seem to get rave reviews for what they are. From whatI have read, I am not surprised with your statement so if they are like their rods, the Concept A may be worth it. I would be hard pressed to go any further than that if I was going to try it out.

Adam
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

cndbasshunter wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:Price point might be a little on the high side considering they're introducing a line of reels in an already very diversified market with proven products/reels.

i'm thinking in the same line as ardent.....
Agreed!

But then again, the reels aren't even out yet....so I'll give them the benefit of doubt for now!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

curls wrote: I really like the approach 13 Fishing is taking in this cutthroat industry. They're agressive, they're modern, and they're not afraid to take a lot of chances to get their name known. Hopefully for them and for the weekend warrior, their Concept reels do perform at the same price:performance ratio as their line of rods.
I agree 100% with your take on this. They may not sell too many high end reels and that's OK.
Most of us are looking for a quality product at a reasonable price.
Lew's came in with the same attitude and it seems to be working for them.
I think that 13 Fishing will do just fine.

Now, we need to sit back and see how Shimano Daiwa and Abu will react.
It can only get better for us.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

StarTzar wrote:
curls wrote: I really like the approach 13 Fishing is taking in this cutthroat industry. They're agressive, they're modern, and they're not afraid to take a lot of chances to get their name known. Hopefully for them and for the weekend warrior, their Concept reels do perform at the same price:performance ratio as their line of rods.
I agree 100% with your take on this. They may not sell too many high end reels and that's OK.
Most of us are looking for a quality product at a reasonable price.
I think that 13 Fishing will do just fine.

Now, we need to sit back and see how Shimano Daiwa and Abu will react.
It can only get better for us.
The Tatula lineup will get a big following.....would love to see the new curado replacement.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I don't think you are going to see any changes in the Daiwa/Shimano camps because of these new reels for a while.

Daiwa is has just started to provide offerings for the average fisherman (in my eyes anyway) and I agree that the Tatula will gain a good following. Seeing as Shimano introduced two new (to us) high end reels, I am hoping they continue this trend with their Citica to Chronarch E lines. I don't think there is anything wrong with that product, I am just still a little sour with the re-badging of their products. You have to remember that they are trying to come out with a Global series of reels which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

All I can say at this point is that ICAST this year should be pretty interesting which is good for us all! :D :D :D

Adam
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

cndbasshunter wrote:
The Tatula lineup will get a big following.....would love to see the new curado replacement.
A curado replacement would be a good thing.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

StarTzar wrote: Most of us are looking for a quality product at a reasonable price.
Lew's goes wwaaayyyyyy back to earlier times!
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

TheMaverick wrote:
StarTzar wrote: Most of us are looking for a quality product at a reasonable price.
Lew's goes wwaaayyyyyy back to earlier times!
I agree with StarTzar here.
Yes, Lew's does go way backbut they folded and then some guy or guys from BPS bought the name and started making their own reels using the Lew's name. Well not really making their own reels but using the same factory as BPS and Abu. I give 13 fishing more credit for being original and making a completely new reel and not using OEM like Lew's/Abu/BPS.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Okay,

So the big question to you all...

Will you consider buying one or will you wait and see what everyone else thinks?

IMO, if I could see it firsthand in a store around here, I might consider it.

Is all models seem to use he same tooling, they did save some money making 4 reels with the same tooling and by the looks of it, passed some if the savings into the customer. It isn't too often you see an aluminum reel in the $170 price point...
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:Okay,

So the big question to you all...

Will you consider buying one or will you wait and see what everyone else thinks?

IMO, if I could see it firsthand in a store around here, I might consider it.

Is all models seem to use he same tooling, they did save some money making 4 reels with the same tooling and by the looks of it, passed some if the savings into the customer. It isn't too often you see an aluminum reel in the $170 price point...
I like to see one up close in my hands. They do look very very nice. 8)
I would probably try one. Then again I'd also like to have a Morrum 1600 ZX. :wink:

lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

So, I was looking at 13 fishing's website and they now have some pictures of two of the reels handle side sideplate.

What makes you guys think it is made by Okuma? After all, they do say it was newly designed by them as well right? Plus I think they were able to save some r&d costs by using the same form for all 4 I their reels. That would really save on tooling.
Last edited by lape0019 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.