13 fishing's new Concept baitcast reels.

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: 13 fishing's new Concept baitcast reels.

Post by biggs »

lape0019 wrote:What makes you guys think it is? After all, they do say it was newly designed by them as well right?
Not really sure what your asking?? You might have answered your own question in the next sentence.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Hey Biggs,

Thanks for the catch. I posted last night from my phone and I guess I didn't finish my sentance...

What I meant was ( I have sinced added it)

What makes you guys think it is made by Okuma? After all, they do say it was newly designed by them (Meaning 13 fishing) as well right? Plus I think they were able to save some r&d costs by using the same form for all 4 I their reels. That would really save on tooling.

They do look pretty sweet though.

Adam
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

Are they made by Okuma?? Where did you get that??
I thought the only Okuma link (that wasn't confirmed to my knowledge) was someone said that a rep said they use the same centrifugal brake system as Okuma.

I don't think they look anything like Okuma's IMO. I really hope they are not affiliated with Okuma, 13 Fishing seems like a company that makes and uses their own gear/components etc.... at least with the rods they have and use their own components company (guides, inserts, reel seats etc....). These reels do peak my interest though.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

OMG,

I am getting threads confused now. No, I din't think they are made by Okuma. They do have a few lines that look like the Helios Air, but not enough for me to say they are the same reel.

Mav and CNDbasshunter have been comparing it to an ARDENT and I miss quoted. I don't see it at all. where do you guys think it looks like and ARDENT?

I am thinking I should only post between the hours of 5:00 PM and 8:00PM from now on... I guess I am not firing on all cylinders this morning.
Last edited by lape0019 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

lape0019 wrote:I am thinking I should only post between the hours of %:00 PM and 8:00PM from now on... I guess I am not firing on all cylinders this morning.
Could also be me! I have been up since 6am with my son who would not go back to sleep, having a few 'pops' before bed probably didn't help me either! :D

I don't even think it looks like the Ardent's, I highly doubt they would be stupid enough to go that route!
Why couldn't it just be a completely new reel?? Pretty sure they are completely new reels built from the ground up. They may slightly resemble other reels but all reels resemble each other in some way.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

That is my hope anyway. It really looks to me like a completely new reel.

With being able to see both sides of the reel now, I think they did a really good job designing something from the ground up and am anxious to see what people actually think of this reel.

Adam
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

Lets just hope they will be available locally at a competitive price!
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

One pee pee for me... no lefty retreives until likely early 2015! ARGH!
ah_long
Participant
Participant

Post by ah_long »

I've held the reels today. Concept A and Concept C.

They are nice reels, solid and smooth. The free spool out of the box is amazing!

I'm not sure if these are entirely rebranded Okumas or not, but I'm sure Okuma or its factory has something to do with it.

The braking system is identical to the Okuma reel.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Thanks for the Info Long!

That is almost my queue for staying away. Not that I have had any issues with Okuma, I just havent used them nor do I want to try.

Adam