Portable Ice Shelters

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Portable Ice Shelters

Post by OntarioRider »

I have been looking at them for awhile.
For Christmas my wife and boys gave me a Sub Zero 4 man tent. It set up nice and easy by myself - even in a bit of wind on Jan 1st. Just had to anchor wind side first. :-)
But once setup and inside I noticed a lot of white areas coming through the black where it appears the coating did not go one evenly or came off when packaging. Not sure but it is going back today.

I am looking at the Clam BigFoot XL2000 at Sail as a replacement. Anyone have any recent experience with Clam or this particular shelter I would appreciate a word or two.
I am planning to head out today after work to pick one up at Sail.

Thanks
Bill
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Portable Ice Shelters

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Sorry to hear that!

I have an older Clam 2 man set-up and its been pretty good.
I would prefer to have the Sub-Zero or Eskimo set-up that you have. Simply because of its light weight and can be transported in just about any vehicle.
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

The Clam XL2000 is like the Sub Zero - just a little bigger. And a more common name so hopefully will last longer, but from reviews I am reading about some Clam shelters I am not too sure now.

I could always go back and exchange for another Sub Zero and hope the issue inside is an isolated issue. I just don't want to get stuck with a "dud".

I like the height of these things as well. At over 6 foot it is nice to be able to stand up and stretch and not have to go outside.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I had the same problem with a Clam Fishtrap a few years back and during the off-season I contacted Clam and they replaced the cover for me at no charge.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

Wallyboss wrote:I had the same problem with a Clam Fishtrap a few years back and during the off-season I contacted Clam and they replaced the cover for me at no charge.
Sounds like Clam customer service is top notch. That alone might be worth the extra coin.
Thanks!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

All I had to do was send them a picture of the problem. Then to get it replaced I had to send them a picture of the cover with holes cut in it (so I wouldn't re-use the old cover)
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Yakster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Yakster »

I have the Clam XL 4000 and have no issues other than when I forget to lift my feet flying out the door to grab a line I tend to end up face first in the snow.
Little heavy but the family is very comfortable when out.
My Fish trap does have the coating coming off I noticed last year but still didn't leak in the rain so I just left it.
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

Ended up buying the Clam XL2000. I bought one at Sail and took it home and set it up. There were tears in the roof, so I took it back.
This time I asked them to find me a place to set it up with good light so I could look from the inside. I ended up taking the demo. :D

Took it out this morning to try some fishing ... holy crap is it ever windy. Never did get it setup.
A friend was there with his trailer and took pity on me and my boys and invited us into his fish trailer.
Nothing was biting but we had a good outing regardless.