Reel Question.

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Reel Question.

Post by FishingFreak13 »

A couple months ago i bought a St. Croix Mojo 7'6" worm rod (bait casting) and am searching for a reel under 200$ to put on it. I prefer Shimano but am open to trying other reels. Thanks guys.
Last edited by FishingFreak13 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Reel Question.

Post by cgates »

I have a Caenan and it's a great reel for under 125
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

Since the current Curado G is being discontinued and replaced with a new one soon, I'd wait and grab a clearance Curado G.
MUCH better reel than the Caenan.
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

tatula or tatula r and the lews tourny pro / bb1 pro gets my vote.

you should be able to find some good deals at the upcoming spring shows.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

There are a number of good choices in that price range, some of which have been suggested here. Your best bet is take the rod to a shop you trust (Paddletales comes to mind :D ) and find which reel balances the best and feels right in your hand. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend doing that at the box stores.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

I love Lew's reels, check out there reviews its hard to find anyone saying bad things about them. Head to paddletales, Ed carries them and other makes. Plus you can get lots of advice when your there.
- Rick Ozga
nathan.barnard
Participant
Participant

Post by nathan.barnard »

I would put in a bit more to your budget and get one of the new Chronarch Ci4. I played with one at Sail a few weeks back and they have a nice feel.
I posted in a thread on here as well and they have received awesome feedback.
I would avoid the Caenan. With bait casters, you get what you pay for and I don't see these reels as lasting as long or preforming nearly as well.

I've heard amazing things about the Lews reels as well. Although I've always been a shimano guy, I would give them some consideration.

The best thing is (if you can) taking your rod to the shop and pairing the reel with it. As subjective as it is, the "feel" means a lot when you are on the water for 10 hours at a time.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I do not know the St. Croix's too much but is the rod a spinning or Baitcasting?
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
crwalker1987
Participant
Participant

Post by crwalker1987 »

I just bought a Daiwa Tatula type-R, I havent tried it yet but it has outstanding reviews. From what I have read it is Daiwa's attempt to dominate that price range of the market (knockout Curado and Revo SX). They are $199 in the states but u can get them at lebaron for $165. It also has the TWS system which is a neat feature allowing the line to come off the spool more freely. I wanted to give something else a try. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Chris
nathan.barnard
Participant
Participant

Post by nathan.barnard »

Fishing Freak,
Whatever you do, I would wait a few weeks until all the fishing exhibitions start.

Toronto Sportsmen Show, Spring Fishing & Boat Show, Ottawa show etc.

All the shops typically have deals during this time and if nothing else, you can save on tax.