Dobyns 5 power cb rods - which one?

Just what the title says....anything and everything related to Rods, Reels, Terminal Tackle, Plastics, what others are using, what works, what doesn't work, and anything else you want to talk about regarding equipment.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Dobyns 5 power cb rods - which one?

Post by lape0019 »

Now that I have my GL2 sold, I now have to figure out which rod to replace it with.

I thought about getting the 635cb for a while but I don't think I will like a rod that short.
I was thinking the 685cb, but the more I read, it seems most people use the 705cb instead.

I am staying away from the 4 power rods as they felt identical to the GL2 I got rid of which was a little too moderate for my liking.

And for the most important info, this rod will be used primarily for square bills and jerkbaits. It may also be used for the occasional medium diver, but I am not much of a deep diving crank bait user yet as these are baits I am slowly starting to use.

So for anyone with experience with these rods, your opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Dobyns 5 power cb rods - which one?

Post by jona38 »

I use a 705 cb and love it!! Last year I pared it with a Lew's TP 6.4:1 speed with 12lb Sniper fluoro. This year I'm running a Metanium 6.2:1 on it(can't flippin wait). I have had the chance to use the same GL2 you had and my Dobyns back to back. I know exactly what your talking about with the GL2. I didn't like it either. My buddy that owns the GL2 didn't admit to it but I know he likes the Dobyns better too. I would highly recommend the 705 cb. I use mostly square bills as well but have used some 5XD's with no issues at all. I personally wouldn't go with anything shorter than 7' in any crankbait rod. I think the more leverage you have the better when it comes to crankin. Hope this helps. Jon
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Thanks for the info Jon,

I gotta admit, I am leaning towards the 705cb but when it comes to jerkbaits, I prefer to fish vertical. Luckily, I usually fish rom the front of the boat.

I will be picking the rod up on Thursday so hopefully I have made up my mind before heading that route.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Adam,

I once owned a 705CB that I was using for square-bills.
I liked it but felt that (5 power) was impeding the action of the square-bills.

I sold it and purchased the 764CB RM.
I have been using the 764 for three seasons and it is by far my favorite crank-bait rod.

I'm not sure the 705CB will be the best option for jerk-baits. Not enough tip action on the 705.
Have you considered the 705CB Glass (For crank-baits)? From what I read, those that use the glass rod really do like them.

See you Thursday night at Ed's Place.

Regards,
Frank
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

This will be first and foremost my jerkbait rod. I love this technique in the fall and it produces well for me.

I am not opposed to the Glass rods at all. At this point, I am just looking for opinions. I know I like the action of a fast tip and I know the 4 power rods are not what I am looking for so that is why I am looking for peoples take on the 5 powers.

Adam
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

705cb glass for squarebills! If looking for a jerkbait rod I would strongly look into the 704cb/684cb
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

There lies a familiar dilemma, trying to amalgamate two different technics by using one rod!
Do not fight the temptation, give in to your addictionImage

Ok all jokes a side, I own both the 705CB and 764CB RM.
The 764CB RM is by far my favourite rod for squarebills...I bomb cast the F%$# outta them squarebills and love to slow roll them back in.
My 705CB is mainly used for short distance casting and does not have the required leverage I need to set those treble hooks on longer casts.
Both rods will serve you well for squarebills, just depends how you intend to use it.

As for Jerkbaits, I've used the 704CB and 705CB...not my forte!
Made the switch to the MB Flat Side Special, all though it performed flawlessly, I'm still going to purchase the MB Jerkbait Special for this upcoming season.

With that being said, come early season (pike) let me know and I'll lend you all 3 rods (704CB, 705CB and 764CB) then you can judge what rod would better suit your needs.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

BradGuenette wrote:705cb glass for squarebills! If looking for a jerkbait rod I would strongly look into the 704cb/684cb
What is your setup with the 4 power rod? I used a 6.4:1 team lew's gold speed spool with 10 lbs floro on the GL2 784c CBR and I could not stand it. As the GL2 feels almost identical to the 684cb, I am looking at the 5 powers.
TheMaverick wrote:
As for Jerkbaits, I've used the 704CB and 705CB...not my forte!
Made the switch to the MB Flat Side Special, all though it performed flawlessly, I'm still going to purchase the MB Jerkbait Special for this upcoming season.

With that being said, come early season (pike) let me know and I'll lend you all 3 rods (704CB, 705CB and 764CB) then you can judge what rod would better suit your needs.
I too have thought about the XX jerkbait special but I am trying to only use 1 brand of rod and 1 brand of reel (shimano reels/Dobyns Rods).
As for borrowing your 3 rods, that is a very nice offer but I don't know if I can wait that long! I got that gear bug pretty hard right now... The 764 would be too long for the jerkbaits for sure...
Out of the 704cb and the 705cb, can you tell me which one you liked better? Also, your setup would be appreciated as well.

I guess my big issue is I am trying to replicate the feeling I was getting with my medium fast Shimano compre and a Stradic CI4 with 20lbs power pro and a 4 to 5 foot leader of floro. This setup worked wonders for me and trying to replicate it with a baitcaster has been challenging.

Thanks to everyone here for their input so far.

Adam
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

lape0019 wrote: Out of the 704cb and the 705cb, can you tell me which one you liked better?
If I had to choose between the 704CB or 705CB, with your intended use (Square/Jerks) I’d go with the 705CB.
(previously used, 705CB, #12 Fluroro, 6.4:1 Lew’s TP).

I don’t think the flimsiness and tip action of the 704CB would handle the heavier squarebills IMO.
My 704CB is a dedicated Topwater rod.

I prefer the tip action of the XX for Jerkbaits, I also find them to be a tad more sensitive.
Although Jerkbaits shine early/late season, I’ve had too much luck with them last year to push them a side mid-season.
Therefore a finicky angler will be looking to maximize his chances with a dedicated Jerkbait combo (XX Jerkbait Special, #10 Fluoro, FX68L).

A 7’-0” is fine for Jerks, a 6’-8” is that much better.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

I tried to use my 705cb glass but found I was just over working the bait which lead me to the 684cb that will be paired with a Curado I/#10 Super Natural.It was originally a toss up between the 704 and 684 but from what I found 704cb would have been a little so soft for me. The 684cb is a good alternative, given that I have not fished it yet but from messing around with the rods I have found it is a little more stout than the 704cb.

Another option to consider is to try a 703sf, there are a few guys out there tossing JB's on spinning tackle and that seems to be the rod of choice.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Thanks guys!

I wasn't really thinking of the 7' rod until yesterday. I read some reviews on te 685cb and a lot of people were recomending the 705cb instead for some reason.

The reason I did not like the GL2 was I was having to put too much energy into moving the jerkbait as the tip was not fast enough for my liking. I am hoping that by going with a 5 power with a faster tip, I could get the bait to do what I want using less effort. I am thinking I will be going back to braid with a floro leader as well.

I guess I will just have to get them all in my hand and see what feels right. The sad thing is I have picked up the 635/685cb about 15 times in the last month and I still cannot decide.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Adam,

I think you will be happy with the 705CB.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I am thinking it will be more versatile so you are probably right.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Right now I have 3 CB rods

Dobyns 764 CB RM
Fenwick Elitetech (the old two coloured rods) 6'10" crankshaft
and a G loomis SMR 814C-CB

I don't use the Gloomis too much but just love the Fenwick and Dobyns. I use the fenwick for smaller CB's and the Dobyns for buigger ones.
All paired with low profile 5:1 and 6:1 reels (lew's, Quantum and Curado's e series)

For jerkbaits I am using a SIMAX techniqu specific jerkbait spinning rod. I find the spinning rod easier to use for jerkbaits
I also built a st croix jerkbait rod but never liked the action of it. so its just sitting unused for the most part.

I plan on getting another jerkbait rod for larger jerkbaits.
Of the Cb rods I like and use both the Fenwick and Dobyns, I though about getting the 5 power but Ian Highway - the dobyn's rep- suggested that it may be too much rod for local lakes. he suggested it would be better for Great lakes - St lawrence and really deep divers.

This is the fun time for gear heads. Looking at your arsenal, and decding what works or wat you like and waht you want to replace/upgrade...unless you are Jimmy_1 and then only Uglystiks and zebco's are good. :D
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Thanks for the input Norm,

Ian definitely knew his stuff and helped me with my first Dobyns.

I am going to check them out again this week. I know the. 4 power just won't doesn't feel right to me so I am hoping the 5 power works better.

If all else fails, I will go back to spinning gear next year. And yes, this is the fun time of year for me. Just because you can't fish doesn't mean you don't think about fishing. And to me, that means gear time!